What is it worth (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I just picked up the drive train from an 82 BJ60
3B motor, 5 speed and a tcase that seems to have the provision for a pto....

I am going to keep the diffs, and have a buyer, what should I sell the motor/tranny/tcase for?

motor runs pretty good, smokes but.... and the rest is in great shape....So tell me what you think.

Thanks..

Where are you?

I just picked up the drive train from an 82 BJ60
3B motor, 5 speed and a tcase that seems to have the provision for a pto....

I am going to keep the diffs, and have a buyer, what should I sell the motor/tranny/tcase for?

motor runs pretty good, smokes but.... and the rest is in great shape....So tell me what you think.

Thanks..

When its a lump on the floor you have to work hard to convince people its a good runner.
Having some accuate compression figures and some details of the engines previous life makes them easier to convince.
All the 5sp of that era had the PTO,finding a used PTO to fit is the hard bit:D

Having the 5sp attached is a good selling point for someone doing a conversion.

What colour is the smoke?

I am in northern Canada, the smoke is black and a bit blue, like any diesel, just a little thicker, I am sure the rings need replacement and at that end to make a good daily runner a top end rebuild.

Just want a starting price for something, you know don't want to ask too much, that kind of thing.

Cheers and thanks.

You may be limited by your location. Shipping the engine, transfer and transmission would be very expensive due to weight.

A good 5 speed with transfer case could bring $1200 to $1800 US. However, some have gone for less.

Some smoke is normal for a 3B but without seeing it, it's hard to say.

A rebuild kit can be had but they are not cheap. No sense on doing just the rings.

So, pricing would depend on the need in your local area. You may get more if you split the engine from the 5 speed and transfer case. I'm guessing there will be more interest in the 5 speed than in the 3B.

Gut feel, offer the 5 speed and transfer for $1000 and $500 for the 3B, $1300 for both. That assumes you just want them gone but don't want to give them away.

Can he rig something like this?

I think this is an amazing video. :D

YouTube - Toyota Hilux Diesel

Diesels are easy to run outside the engine bay. I had my 1HZ running in a 6'X4' trailer propped up with timber.
I joined the coolant inlet/outlet with a cut bicyle tube
Dont rev them too much as they want to spin around like a helicopter without a tail prop and make sure there is a "off" switch that works:D Just saying:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom