What is it worth - 1977 FJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know there have been a lot of newbies with the same question. I am sort of a newbie, but have been visiting this site almost every day for the past 8 months. I have been looking for a clean FJ40 the past year. I wanted something in pretty good condition and think I've found it. The only draw back is the wheel wheels were cut and fender flares added. MY question is am I paying to much? I am paying $8,800(less than they were asking). The cruiser is early 1977 - so no pop out windows(July 1977). THere is hardly any rust - mainly on door edges and screws , but mainly surface rust. The rear sill is pretty damn good, with justy a few small bubbles. The rear quarter panels are excellent except above the rear lights there is a slight crack, but it may just be the paint. No Bondo - hard top w/ brand new bikini top. The engine was rebuilt by Factory Toyota 14,000 miles ago( has receipt). Hard top is in excellent condition . No leaks and interior is in good shape. Tub and front floors look great. What do you guys think? Mileage says 77,000 and its been painted @ least two times! Looks pretty good compared to other ones I have seen on ebay, which I have found way overpriced! I fell pretty good with the puirchase price - only downside is the cut rear quarter panel!

Easy Street

Sorry no Picts, but its in pretty good shape - no holes or rust bubbling anywhere except a few spots in the rear(sill). Front fenders are in great condition along with the doors!

EasyStreet said:
No Bondo - Mileage says 77,000 and its been painted @ least two times!

These do not go hand in hand.

There is bondo in the truck if it has been painted at least two times.

There are ample 40 people close to you that have been around these vehicles for a long time, know them inside and out, and would be glad to give you a no bull**** assessment on the condition of this truck. I would bet that it is not all original, has been pieced together, and from a distance, looks great. It would also do you A LOT of good to crawl around as many 40 series as you can to get some form of baseline set. Pictures are great, but at the right angle and light, you will not be able to see EVERYTHING, and can easily talk yourself into something that you will regret later, unless you know what you are looking for, and have seen it first hand in other trucks, both good and bad.

Rust is rust, even if you justify it by calling it surface or little or only a tiny bit or bubbles, it is rust. Bubbles in the paint are an indicator of something bad going on underneath, period. " once you dig in, you'll find it comin' out the other side "
...don' t think Lenny had rust in mind when he wrote that, but it is a FACT.

If there is rust in a body of a truck, I would not even consider the better part of ten grand for it.

Good luck!

-Steve

EasyStreet said:
I know there have been a lot of newbies with the same question. I am sort of a newbie, but have been visiting this site almost every day for the past 8 months. I have been looking for a clean FJ40 the past year. I wanted something in pretty good condition and think I've found it. The only draw back is the wheel wheels were cut and fender flares added. MY question is am I paying to much?* I am paying $8,800*(less than they were asking). The cruiser is early 1977 - so no pop out windows(July 1977). THere is hardly any rust - mainly on door edges and screws , but mainly surface rust. The rear sill is pretty damn good, with justy a few small bubbles. The rear quarter panels are excellent except above the rear lights there is a slight crack, but it may just be the paint. No Bondo - hard top w/ brand new bikini top. The engine was rebuilt by Factory Toyota 14,000 miles ago( has receipt). Hard top is in excellent condition . No leaks and interior is in good shape. Tub and front floors look great. What do you guys think? Mileage says 77,000 and its been painted @ least two times! Looks pretty good compared to other ones I have seen on ebay, which I have found way overpriced! *I fell pretty good with the puirchase price - only downside is the cut rear quarter panel!*

Easy Street

So you've already bought it, right? Sure sounds that way from what you're saying.

And now you want to be reassured? Well OK..........there, there, JimmyBob. Everything is going to be alright.

All Better Now?

I paid $7,250 for my '75. It has front discs, but the rear sill is rusty, the rear wheel wells have been trimmed poorly, and it's got diamond plate on the quarters. I'm on the east coast, so to me your price sounds like it's on the higher end of reasonable, but the market is different in CO.

If you already bought it, who cares if people tell you it was too much. It was worth it to you, and now you've got yourself a Cruiser!

I bought my 77 FJ40 in Denver 6 years ago for $7,500. Comparing different trucks is apples & oranges with all the different possible modifications & accessories, but it doesn't sound like you're getting ripped off. Your resale value would still be over $7,000.

8k is a grip, I would never consider buying just about any cruiser (fj40) for that amount especially if it has rust and is not an original color (bondo). I have run across plenty of $500 cruisers in my short time. They normally need a little mechanical attention, but that’s not a big deal in my book.

Gregor said:
Comparing different trucks is apples & oranges with all the different possible modifications & accessories...

Not when you are looking at clean steel compared to obvious or hidden rust....

Sounds like a ripoff to me. If I were going to spend $8800 I would make sure the cruiser was close to _no_ rust at all. There is bondo if it has been painted, bring a magnet with you. And a camera. Depending on there the rust is it might be fixable, but that is still a big and expensive job...

A bubble on the rear sill now means sill replacement in a few years. At least that's what I've seen on my cruiser, and I tried my best to keep the rust from spreading. $8,800 sounds a little high to me.

$8,800 is a relative amount as value means different things to different people. If you are young and/or poor and $8,800 is a stretch then think long and hard about the price. If you have a little in the bank and this is just for fun then an extra grand or two might not be a big deal if the truck is what you want.

I am not advocating overpaying without reason, but not everyone wants to pay $1000 for a truck and spend two years getting it ready. I wish I had the skill/knowledge/time to do that but IMHO I'd rather have the truck in my garage and not look back. And yes, I did overpay a bit for my rusty '78, and I've never been happier. YMMV.

James
'78 40, '01 100. '99 Taco

If it doesn't have ANY rust (check the frame too) the price goes up accordingly. What I've always said is to get the nicest Cruiser that you can given your budget. I agree with the others who have posted, if it's been repainted several times before, it probably has some body filler. With only 77,000 miles, why was it painted? Pics if you can send 'em are nice.

I have found that the initial purchase price of my FJ40 pales in comparison to what I am putting into it. I toiled, searched, and got fanatical about buying a 40 until my wife finally said, "I'm sick and tired of you looking at that s*** all the time on e-bay, why don't you pull the trigger and buy one". Shortly thereafter I did and have never been happier! What a woman!

Doug_S said:
With only 77,000 miles, why was it painted?

Very valid question.

One better however, why was the engine 'rebuilt' at 63K?

unlike the Ventures, run, don't walk. ;)

If there is a crack in the 'paint' around the quarter panel, then it has some thick or poorly laid bondo.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom