What is it about avant-garde music ..

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by T Y L E R, Aug 4, 2005.

1. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

.. that makes it so damn odd. I must have hit upon a college radio station. Cause this s*** I'm listening to right now is even too wierd for me. Kinda started out with a violin whining all over the place .. now it's decayed into what can only be described as the sound that a Cessna makes if you were in a rock band strung out on benzo's trying to make it into LA before morning .. I'm actually sitting him wondering how long it will take the neighbour below me to start firing rounds thru the floor. J/k - this place is concrete .. :cool:

Charles Curtis .. "ultra white light/sleep".

[​IMG]

Here's a review ..

By the 1990s, LPs had become obsolete -- vinyl had gone the way of silent movies, cylinders, eight track tapes, and beta VCRs. Nonetheless, there are still some musicians who find vinyl useful, including cellist/guitarist Charles Curtis. This album first came out as a two-LP set in 1999, and it wasn't until 2001 that Squealer reissued it as a double CD. Although Curtis is primarily a classical musician, Ultra White Violet Light/Sleep isn't classical; rather, its focus is avant-garde rock -- some of it instrumental, some of it featuring Curtis as a spoken word vocalist. Experimental avant-garde music (be it rock or jazz) can be abrasive and confrontational, but Curtis' extended pieces aren't like that. Ultra White Violet Light/Sleep is actually calm, atmospheric, and ambient -- not harsh or forceful -- and the result is musical hypnosis. Parts of the album remind the listener of traditional Indian raga music, and even though the tamboura (known for its drone sound) and the sitar are nowhere to be found, those Indian instruments would be perfectly at home on Curtis' avant rock. Music as left of center as Ultra White Violet Light/Sleep isn't everyone's cup of tea, but this double CD is easily recommended to adventurous listeners who are seeking avant rock that is calming and hypnotic instead of aggressive. ~ Alex Henderson, All Music Guide

TY

2. bad_religion_au

bad_religion_au

it's for wine and port sipping conservative art fags to listen to to feel "mature" and "cultured"

like i know tyler... i'm just a gutter rat.

did i miss anyone in my spraY?

3. beno

beno Gihee Arakawa Moderator GOLD Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Much of what is called 'avant garde' music developed in the late 19th century and into the early part of the 20th century. Then it really took off post- World War II.

Some folks you might want to check out as primers:

Erik Satie (French Minimalist)
    Arnold Schoenberg (developed the 12-tone system of serial classical music)
    Stockhausen (pioneer in electronic mudic used in a classical way)
    Pierre Boulez
    John Cage (famous for 4' 33" --a piece with no music at all)

There are lots of others and lots of other definitions of what avant garde is but this might be a good starting point, at least musically speaking....

Best.
    -onur
    Akron, OH

4. Jman

Jman

T Y, from that review, I'm finding it hard to understand why they use the word "rock" at all in the description?

5. alvarorb

alvarorb Color Geek in Charge

I found his website using Google:

<http://www.squealermusic.com/catalog/curtis.html>

It seems that only a very limited number of copies were ever made of this CD.
    Do you know of a site were I can hear a sample of this? Just curious.

Regards

Alvaro

6. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Beno, not sure I want a can of avant garde open in my life, but thanx for the great historical refs none the less ..

Heres a bit more review. Might help explain the 'rock' .. *giggle*

Curtis is a minimalist composer/guitar player, classically trained as a cellist and apprentice to drone master La Monte Young, who has come up with an interesting sonic adventure for listeners. In the spirit of the old "Choose Your Own Adventure" books, this release comes in the form of two discs, each with two tracks identical in running time to their analogues on the opposite platter. The idea is that these tracks can be enjoyed on their own, or can be recombined using multiple stereo sets, boomboxes, amplifiers, and so forth (the more cassette copies you can make, the more possibilities for different versions you have).

Curtis works with drones, sine waves, overtones, and general sound-shapes rather than with linear forms or extensions of harmony. "A" and "C" consist of such masses of sound, built largely around overtones and e-bow. The overall effect is rather hypnotic. On "B" and "D", things shift to a slightly different idiom. Guitars are still plucked with minimalism but use a more twangy, rock-based sound instead of floating through the tone world. Curtis gives a recitation about a friend dreaming he is awake, and about supernatural things beginning to occur on "B", while the recitation on "D" concerns meeting a female acquaintance. These tracks actually sound near enough like outtakes from Slint's "Spiderland". The rhythm is stiff, unfortunately, but that's probably not the point.

Curtis states in his liner notes that he finds these basic elements to be examples of "the perfect spectra of natural sound". The most obvious influence here is La Monte Young, but I was reminded also of John Cage (if not in product, then in method, which Cage once described as seeking to quiet the mind in order to make it susceptible to divine influences). Most of the tracks feature oscillating guitar tones mixed with cello and/or bass glissandi, resulting in a music that surrounds rather than cuts through. It is not a music of obvious events—one cannot say "listen to that Curtis lick or that cello double stop"; rather, it is the aural equivalent of watching lava flow. Things happen subtly, almost imperceptibly, but at the end of the experience one is conscious of having been privy to a transformation.

TY

PS: I'll look for a soundbite

7. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Ok, I found a track from the Charles Curtis trio .. "Cellos, sine tones, and sustained electric guitars"

A sine post up ahead .... the triozone

My aircard takes forever to load music, so I haven't yet head this track, or tested the link.

Good luck, and enjoy?

TY

8. macneill

macneill Rollin’ on 33s

Erik Satie rules! Not a big fan of the Dada movement in art, but I like him.

That album cover looks like the passageway of JFK airport...
    :confused:

9. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

The album art might be where it's at ....

TY ;)

PS: Anyone get the link to work .. still loading here. Whats it like?

10. beno

Media:
    Albums:
    Post a link when you find one...I unfortunately have to do 'work' today and can't get time till much later.

'Avant garde' music is at least interesting, whether one likes it or not, whether one understands it or not...an informed corrective to the modern schlock that we hear between 87.1 and 106.5 (or whatever the intervals are)... :rolleyes:

If you want some interesting music, reading and the like, you can check out some of the writing at this site:

http://media.hyperreal.org/zines/est/

Also, I think the Brits are a bit farther ahead in understanding 'high' culture, so to speak. Spend some time at Radio 3:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/index.shtml?logo

Later
    -o-

edit: looks like you found it...too bad I'm listening to a great dj set...I'll listen later....

11. bkgiii

bkgiii SILVER Star

12. beno

Media:
    Albums:
    Another (mis) understood gem by Mr. Eno. ;)

Tyler--it's good s*** man.

13. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Anyone have any tracks of Brian's more attractive bell failures?

TY

14. alvarorb

alvarorb Color Geek in Charge

I really enjoy Here come the warm jets.
    Link to iTMS

The only caveat is that it drives my wife crazy.

Regards

Alvaro

15. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

The Jets track is nice .. I should know better than to say it almost has an asian feel to it. A haunting sort of feel .. but it does.

I'd have to spend more time with these tracks to really get a feel for them. Hard to do so with 10 second bites.

I think where I part with some of this is where it becomes , to me anyway, quite random .. maybe this is why I find such comfort in Bach. He makes sense in such a simple way.

TY

16. Tooth Fairy

Tooth Fairy

You guys need a healthy does of Captain Beefheart.

Or maybe Zoog's Rift. :rolleyes:

17. Tooth Fairy

Tooth Fairy

You sine music link is intesting. I hated the first 30 seconds of it, but, now that it's playing in the background while I'm typing here I kinda dig it. It's weird for sure, but, it also is being cut by the ambulance being called out over my radio. I don't thin they really go together. Go figure.

B

18. beno

Media:
    Albums:
    Warm Jets was Eno's first album after leaving Roxy Music...

Listen to 'On a Faraway Beach"--track 5 or 6 I think ...I am mesmerized everytime i hear it.

Then move onto his next solo album 'Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)'...fawking epic.

Then hit up by far the most perfect album ever (except for Kind o Blue by Miles--can't beat that)--'Another Green World'

Then hit up 'Before and After Science'--another gem....

Ty....we'll get you into avant garde world yet...first let's get you into some early rock ambient and move you up to "Music for Airports" and then to "Thursday Afternoon"--a minimalist 'hit'

-o-

19. wsdavies

wsdavies

If you like experimental electronica then try someAutchre

[​IMG]

20. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

I'll check these out tomorrow ..

I used to really enjoy Tangerine Dream in the 80's .. tried listening to a bit online today, and to be honest, even though its electroacoustic, it resonated 80's .. uggh. I used to think it was so intelligent, with it's various layers blending, divorcing and then remarrying far later in the pc .. beginning almost below perception, then threading forward beneath a low heartbeat ... quietly announcing a forgotten themes re-emergence.

Had to be there, I guess .. ;p

TY - *thinking he'll open that port now..*

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.