what is involved with moving springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
88-FJ62. Has anyone swapped their leaf springs from the bottom to the top of their axel? What is involved besides welding the mounts on top of the axel. I assume that you have to weld on shock mounts, also what about the angle at witch the input of the drive shafts into the axels? Steering so on and so on? It seems there is more to it than what I see..

Thanks in advance

Bruce

What you are asking about is called a Spring Over, or SOA for spring over axle. Do a search for SOA there's a ton of information available on this site. It is WAY more invloved than it looks.

Chris

Ok i searched for soa, and because I am not sure what I am looking at I dont know what to look for. So if anyone can guide me just a little more...

Thanks in advance

batman said:
88-FJ62. Has anyone swapped their leaf springs from the bottom to the top of their axel? What is involved besides welding the mounts on top of the axel. I assume that you have to weld on shock mounts, also what about the angle at witch the input of the drive shafts into the axels? Steering so on and so on? It seems there is more to it than what I see..

Thanks in advance

Bruce

What are ya new??? :D Tons of research to be done with the search function. There are like 4 or 5 threads detailing this mod running right now between here and the 40 forum. Welcome :cheers:

in addtion to welding new perches, you will need a double arm or high steer, a torque bar, cut and turn on the front housing, and, most likely, driveshaft mods

It might be a little too far to come, but some guys from the Capital Land Cruiser Club are getting together August 27th & 28th to spring over a 1989 FJ62 (the same one in the pics I posted the other day). We'll be working somewhere in Alexandria. It would give you the chance to see exactly what goes into doing the exact mod you're considering on a truck very similar to yours - even get a chance to practice your wrenchin' on someone else's rig ;)

Ross will be putting on 36" TSLs.

Felix, i would love to but I have a wife that is 34 weeks preg, and if I leave her to go and wrench on anything I am sure she would be pissed, I would love to just to meet people and to have a chance to do the work and learn more about the LC... But I will run it by her and see.

Sounds good. I'll pm you more details when I get them.

Hey batman.....your best bet is to do all your wrenching in teh next 3 weeks, cause after 40 weeks your life as you knew it, ends. Your only salvation is to purchase land cruiser clothing for the baby, post b/w pictures of cruisers for your baby to focus on (they can only see blurry, b/w images at birth), and read toyota trails to them at night. Wrenching.....comes after they grow up.

Batman, I have to say, how good is your ability to work on things??

I mean, I am a big proponent of just jumping in and seeing how things turn out but honestly, if you are a 2 bananna wrencher you do not want to try to do a springover (a 4 or 5 bananna job out of a 5 bananna scale) Without some major help.

The major problem is that if something goes wrong you are endangering your self, your wife and future child and others.

Not trying to be mean here. But before I tried a SOA I made dam sure that I knew what I was looking at and the technical links made a lot of sense to me.

Mace

if it comes with instructions I can do it. I have a 4 out of 5 bananna skilled person. I know more about motors than I do suspensions though. I think I am going to wait on the SOA

batman if u dont wanna do the soa put OME on there u dont get as big of a lift, but u still get the nice look with the big tires, adn i cant think of a wife that wants to climb up a ladder to get into a truck neway. the OME lift might be more exspensive but i think it is worth it, great ride. I never did like the SOA neway i figured toyota put the axle over for a reason so y not keep it that way....

Jumpsuit_FJ60 said:
batman if u dont wanna do the soa put OME on there u dont get as big of a lift, but u still get the nice look with the big tires, adn i cant think of a wife that wants to climb up a ladder to get into a truck neway. the OME lift might be more exspensive but i think it is worth it, great ride. I never did like the SOA neway i figured toyota put the axle over for a reason so y not keep it that way....

That's what I figure...it's Spring Under for a few reasons, I've heard SOA cause more wheel hop for one....How much is a good OME lift?

If you just want looks and bigger tires go with a lift.

Factory didn't design these things to do what we do to them, so if you want super flexy, tire staying on the ground traction in extreme angles, and overall more off roading capability go SOA... and then some.

Build it how you want to use it.

Wheel hop? You mean spring wrap, or you talkin death wobble :eek: ? Build or buy a traction bar. When you step outside the box you have to be willing to make things work. Here's an example. You can overcome whatever obstacles you encounter. (and with a SOA you can do it on the trail too) hehehe.

Runnin a 2.5 inch OME and for the commute it's nice and soft but it sucks for serious wheeling, not sure bout the 4 inch. The 2.5 in springs should fit 37's nicely when I do the SOA down the road though :D

Bottom line the lift sucks and I want to go SOA again ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom