What is involved in swapping the rear hatch glass? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey folks,

I'm in the process of replacing my rear hatch. I sourced a good hatch from a mud member and now I need to swap it for the old one.

The old one has factory privacy glass so I'd like to switch the glass too. What goes into swapping the glass? Can I diy this? If not, what parts should I order before bringing it to the glass shop? Any notes I should give the glass shop about the repair to make sure they do it properly?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

-- Beej

I haven't done it, and this is from my 95 FSM, but
upload_2017-5-26_14-38-11.png
(Windshield)

Attachments

• 1995, Body Mechanical System, Windshield.pdf
    129.2 KB · Views: 202
Based on my several windshield replacements, I'd find a good reputable installer and pay them. Oh, and give them the FSM pages and make sure they follow them.

Based on my several windshield replacements, I'd find a good reputable installer and pay them. Oh, and give them the FSM pages and make sure they follow them.
This X 2, follow the FSM to the letter, unless of course you want to have leaks. When you do this swap, make sure you buy a new factory Toyota rubber gasket, the gaskets that the windshield company's use are crap.

This X 2, follow the FSM to the letter, unless of course you want to have leaks. When you do this swap, make sure you buy a new factory Toyota rubber gasket, the gaskets that the windshield company's use are crap.
x2; I forgot to say that. Glad you did.

Probably the most important factor in a successful glass replacement!

Alright, i've got a vendor that will assist me. Need to order the gasket now. Will post part number when I find it OR feel free to chime in. Thanks!

Hey folks,

I'm in the process of replacing my rear hatch. I sourced a good hatch from a mud member and now I need to swap it for the old one.

The old one has factory privacy glass so I'd like to switch the glass too. What goes into swapping the glass? Can I diy this? If not, what parts should I order before bringing it to the glass shop? Any notes I should give the glass shop about the repair to make sure they do it properly?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

-- Beej

I wouldn't mess around with the gasket and removal of the glass if it's good. Could risk breaking the glass when either removing or reinstalling and open up a can of worms. Why don't you try to remove the privacy tint?

How to remove Lexus Lx450 rear glass factory tint.

Glass w/solar reflector
68131-60151

Glass w/o solar reflector
68131-60290

Glass gasket/weathersrtip
68291-60050

For a 95 and pretty sure a 97 as well.

The weathersrtip to seal the upper and lower hatche, like a door weathersrtip, is more than 1 piece.
1 goes around and 1 is for the upper to lower seal.

Last edited:
Alright, i've got a vendor that will assist me. Need to order the gasket now. Will post part number when I find it OR feel free to chime in. Thanks!

Just dug out of my parts stash:

Rear window gasket
IMG_4418.JPG

Just dug out of my parts stash:

Rear window gasket
View attachment 1471101
Easy there, Rockafella. Us plebs don't just have stashes full of gaskets lying around ;)

So why is the part number such a big deal? I just go to my local parts guy at the dealership and they send me whatever is available, which seems to be everything available. Is this an online thing? Seems like the Toyota parts network is pretty rock solid. We look at all of the schematics and I just pick the parts I want and they sell them to me.

I get liking to have extra parts though, just not every day you see a guy that is planning on rear hatch glass failure. On that note, what do people know about the sliding glass. Mine seems to have a bunch of sand or gravel stuffed into it or it has a bunch of rusty bull**** from a steel frame piece. I am not sure which is true, but I am reluctant to mess with it.

It's a :banana::banana::banana: tops.

Install the gasket to the window. Simple enough.

Now make a soap solution ~10:1 (strong enough to slide, but not too thin it runs too fast) in a spray bottle, tie a loop of high test monofilament line (~50# or better), or some smooth string/yarn you know you can tug on, and place the tag ends of the loop at bottom center of the "channel" in the gasket. Leave a good 2' on each, so you can wrap a few times in your fingers.

Now spray the gasket channel with the soap, all the way around.

Working from the tags, pick a direction & let the string 'pull' the inner gasket lip into the hatch hole, with a helper holding & lightly pressing (light, as more they press the harder it's for you to pull.)

Lightly keep a little spray going just 2-3" of where you're pulling, lets the gasket lip you'll see from the inside keep sliding against the hatch lip smoothly.

Working bottom - up lets you use gravity to rest the glass & the soap solution wicks upward as the gasket squeezes & compress working into place. I did mine having set the bottom channel in the hatch, then had my GF just keep the glass upright to the hatch.

I only started to need the string in the bottom corners, then I did each side to the top corners, then grabbed both ends & pulled towards the middle & the gasket slides into place. Leaving the last 2-3" of gasket in the middle made it real easy at the end.

Did my hatch a few yrs back & start to finish/ glass laid up to glass fully installed was under 10 mins easy, prob 5 mins.

Once done I went around the outer side edge, blowing compressed air to speed up drying - a week later I came back & added RTV into the gasket from the outer lip on the top edge, and down the 2 sides for protection from the common "rusty bottom corner / lip" most all 80's now seem to have.

I've done this method for VW windshields, side & rear GTI & Scirocco glass back as a teen - it works great. I think my Dad taught me, I forget - but it works excellent.

Last edited:
Wow, thanks all! Part number confirmed

I just did mine last week to fix pinch weld rust spot which wasn't as bad as it looked. Follow Linus' instructions. Undo the two defroster wires, remove two push pin connectors and one screw on the third brake light and use a hook type tool (make one from a screwdriver) and gently and evenly push the glass outward. I had mine out in less than 4 minutes by myself. A catcher on the outside is recommended and less stressful. I reused my gasket. Using a string the install takes 7 to 8 minutes.

Just had this done but I do not think he put urethane on the weatherstrip before install. I guess I'll find out if it leaks?

Kinda bummed I didn't notice during installation. He said he put sealer on the gasket. I don't think it was urethane though.

Last edited:
Are you folks using the 08833-00030 adhesive for the back glass? If yes, how much of this stuff do you need to refresh with new factory gasket?

Update: Search shows Toyota adhesive is NLA - use 3M urethane adhesive

Last edited:
i'm at that stage of replacing my rear window. so the part number for the glass gasket is 68291-60050? if so i'm unable to source one. although i'm tempted to reuse the one i have, i gotta strong feeling gonna regret it. any suggestions on sourcing the glass gasket?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom