What is in m my 14 bolt (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is my first 14 bolt and I dont know what i'm looking at when I opened this guy up. I dont see spider gears. Is this a posi unit?
14bolt diff a.jpg

What happens to the opposite axle shaft when you rotate a axle shaft?

The spiders are inside the carrier on a small-ish cross shaft. Pull the carrier, split the carrier.

Cool thanks guys.

pirate4x4 said:
These pics are of the carrier removed. Mine is fully welded up making it a huge spool. I have read about some folks just welding the spider / side gears by filing in the valley's between the teeth and then reinstalling them. I personally have never understood this. It's not as if you need to save the carrier, since they are cheap and extremely plentiful. Also, I would think that in this manner, those welds would see quite a bit of shock loading. It's also a real bugger to reassemble the carrier and gears after you have just welded up the teeth and are trying to save the carrier.

what do you guys think of this?

It's a 14 bolt, what do you want to hear about it?? lol

BTW, lincoln locking those things is uber easy.

Weld the living crap out of it.

got a pic Mace .. ?

can you just weld the crap out of the gears through the holes in the carrier? Or should you disassemble it and weld the spider gears then reassemble it?

pics from pirate.
DCP_6493.JPG

DCP_6492.JPG

DCP_6495.JPG

On mine I took it apart and welded the teeth together. It never failed, but I have since replaced the spiders with a mini spool.

I am not a huge fan of welding the carrier to the teeth on a 14 bolt. Mostly because a detroit uses the stock carrier on a 14 bolt. If you weld it like the pictures show, you will never get the case halves apart.

An ARB does replace the stock carrier tho..

If its got 4 "holes" in the sides, theres a cross inside which equals spider gears. If instead of the 4 holes, youve got 3, its got a gov lock in it. That carrier is junk, got find a open carrier and put a detroit, spool, etc, whatever in it.

If its got 4 "holes" in the sides, theres a cross inside which equals spider gears. If instead of the 4 holes, youve got 3, its got a gov lock in it. That carrier is junk, got find a open carrier and put a detroit, spool, etc, whatever in it.

Sure looks like an open carrier to me..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom