What is everyone doing for fishing pole storage/transportation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
hey guys I am planing on doing something for a fishing pole rack. maybe inside maybe out I do not like to break down my poles for transportation they seem to get broken more easily so I just leave them intact. I was hoping to see your guys Home built fishing pole holders.

3-4" diameter PVC tube with screw on caps attached to your rack is a pretty popular method in Oz.

3-4" diameter PVC tube with screw on caps attached to your rack is a pretty popular method in Oz.
I was thinking this there is a guy in town that did this in his fj cruiser. I was also thinking like a rack inside bolted to the ceiling

ltn1lk0v95o1titrwem0.jpg

I've always liked this look. And yeah, definitely a one banana diy job if you have the roof rack already.
btw what part of KS? I'm north of Topeka a bit.

I have two rod tubes in my FJ60 and I use small bungy's to hold them to the overhead handles of the front and
passenger door on the passenger side. For the passenger they are a bit of an obstruction if they are tall, over 6'.
But I don't have passengers generally speaking so it works for me. I have a 10' Sage in a 65" tube, it is safe there.
I wouldn't put them on the roof, just me.

I built a slick storage case for my ham antenna out of ABS sewer pipe and foam pipe insulation. The foam insulation protects the antenna and eliminates rattling. It should work the same for rods

DSCN1489.jpg

DSCN1488.jpg

This is definitely the coolest, cleanest, most compact and high quality I have seen. I have these and are extremely happy with it. I can fit an 8ft rod inside. Fly rods I break down in half.
Inno racks

innorodrack.jpg

This is definitely the coolest, cleanest, most compact and high quality I have seen. I have these and are extremely happy with it. I can fit an 8ft rod inside. Fly rods I break down in half.
Inno racks

Sweet! I just went through the website looking for interior roof rod racks. Unable to find??
If you could direct me I'd appreciate it, J

Sweet! I just went through the website looking for interior roof rod racks. Unable to find??
If you could direct me I'd appreciate it, J

I think the handle grip version may be discontinued and only the suction cup window version is what is available now.
Do a search for Inno First Strike rod holder. You'll find a few sites that may sell it.
You can also call the Inno Rack Distribution center directly in Torrance California. I've called them directly before and they some parts that are on their website, but they had extra parts that they would sell me. They may have some of those extra rack laying around or they may be able to direct you on where to get them.

I I did the PVC pipe attached to the roof rack for a while, then like mentioned above strapped the two/three rods to the inside of the corner ceiling against the overhead handles... Worked great..

I figured it out at ace hardware here in salina they had a pole holder kit for your boat that was pretty much two 3inch wide velcro straps. I then just wrap em around the grab handles and to hold the fishing poles up inside the cab. Thanks guys for the input.

hey guys I am planing on doing something for a fishing pole rack. maybe inside maybe out I do not like to break down my poles for transportation they seem to get broken more easily so I just leave them intact. I was hoping to see your guys Home built fishing pole holders.

For the large one piece surf rods, which I see most often, folks use ski mounts on their racks.

I don't however because I have no one piece rods above 9'. I use those simple rubber covered twisty things. One made into a large hook hanging from my "attic" rack, and one small hook twisted around the second row grab handles. Then my 9' rod fits in one piece, and the 8' section of my 10.5' fits on the other side. The 11.5' rod sits in the back broken down with two velcro strips holding the two pieces together. I always meant to upgrade this system but it works so well that I haven't needed to.

For the large one piece surf rods, which I see most often, folks use ski mounts on their racks.

I don't however because I have no one piece rods above 9'. I use those simple rubber covered twisty things. One made into a large hook hanging from my "attic" rack, and one small hook twisted around the second row grab handles. Then my 9' rod fits in one piece, and the 8' section of my 10.5' fits on the other side. The 11.5' rod sits in the back broken down with two velcro strips holding the two pieces together. I always meant to upgrade this system but it works so well that I haven't needed to.
That's a whole lot more fishing pole than I ever use a few 6 foot poles for bass fishing out of a kayak or canoe.

Last edited:
That's a whole lot more fishing pole than I ever use a few 6 foot poles for bass fishing out of a kayak or canoe.

Awesome. I've never done that, would love to. I did have a couple small boats in my teen years. 14', 16'. We used to catch Fluke, Flounder, Weakfish, and sometimes Blackfish out in the bays. Always with 6' rods. The big ones are for reaching and bringing in 20-40LB Stripers. :cool:

I ended up making my rod storage after trying several "Bought" units.

I started with PVC/ABS pipe for rod storage, but if you like your rods and reels, these are no good on rough roads and vibration allows the rods and reels to be damaged. In addition, when the rods have reels attached, the weight means the eyes will be on the bottom and rubbing on the hard tube. This holds true for the Bought rod tubes. I tried two different companies tubes, and was not happy with them.

We travel with 3+ fisher people, and go to fairly remote areas that require traveling quite a few miles on dirt roads. I like my rods rigged, and carry fly and spinning rigs, so I dreamed my ideal rod box...

Here it is, well I don't have really good pictures of it, so follow along. Mine is all wood, 1/8 plywood and alder trim, so it's very light, about 18/19 pounds. There are two compartments that open upward, and either can be open independently of the the other. The top is fly rods - up to 10 footers and 6 rigged rods, bottom is spinning up to 6' and 6 fully rigged rods.

Materials cost about $100 with the finish urethane, and took a Saturday to make and a few nights to finish. The box bolts to welded nuts on the rack I made, so it mounts in a couple of minutes.

The fly rods sit on the their sides in foam cutouts with mid supports. The spinners handles hang in foam cutout, with rubber mid supports that lock them in place. The complete interior is lined.

The bottom has enough room for storage also. The box has stood up to big tree branches and many thousands of miles without issue.

No design is perfect for every person, but mine works well for us.

P1080264.JPG
P1090586.JPG

Last edited:
I ended up making my rod storage after trying several "Bought" units.

I started with PVC/ABS pipe for rod storage, but if you like your rods and reels, these are no good on rough roads and vibration allows the rods and reels to be damaged. In addition, when the rods have reels attached, the weight means the eyes will be on the bottom and rubbing on the hard tube. This holds true for the Bought rod tubes. I tried two different companies tubes, and was not happy with them.

We travel with 3+ fisher people, and go to fairly remote areas that require traveling quite a few miles on dirt roads. I like my rods rigged, and carry fly and spinning rigs, so I dreamed my ideal rod box...

Here it is, well I don't have really good pictures of it, so follow along. Mine is all wood, 1/8 plywood and alder trim, so it's very light, about 18/19 pounds. There are two compartments that open upward, and either can be open independently of the the other. The top is fly rods - up to 10 footers and 6 rigged rods, bottom is spinning up to 6' and 6 fully rigged rods.

Materials cost about $100 with the finish urethane, and took a Saturday to make and a few nights to finish. The box bolts to welded nuts on the rack I made, so it mounts in a couple of minutes.

The fly rods sit on the their sides in foam cutouts with mid supports. The spinners handles hang in foam cutout, with rubber mid supports that lock them in place. The complete interior is lined.

The bottom has enough room for storage also. The box has stood up to big tree branches and many thousands of miles without issue.

No design is perfect for every person, but mine works well for us.

View attachment 1213369 View attachment 1213370 .
Hey our cruisers look alike. That is a whole lot more fishing pole storage than I am needing haha that is pretty cool though
12717779_1687578934856302_5344201605785170741_n.jpg

Depends.

If i'm travelling with 3 rods or less, i use elastic, velcro closed straps to tie them to the overhead handles (I'm not sure what the name is...). on my 90 series, I can safely fit rods up to 6'6" inside the vehicle. If you're on a 4 door vehicle you're probably good up to 7' or more.

If I'm travelling with more than 3 rods, or rods longer than 6'6" I use a rod tube (glorified PVC tube) strapped to the roof rack.

image.jpeg
If you look closely, you will see a plywood cross bar inside the truck that has several half circles cut on top. This bar allows me to carry surf rods up to 10'6" inside the truck. Tight lines...

View attachment 1216739 If you look closely, you will see a plywood cross bar inside the truck that has several half circles cut on top. This bar allows me to carry surf rods up to 10'6" inside the truck. Tight lines...
I like this idea I just need the back seat clear for my kids otherwise this is a cool way to do it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom