1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is a Toyota Surf?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Cobra Jet, Jul 20, 2005.

1. Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Does anyone know what a Toyota "Surf" is? Was this a Japanese only 4Runner or a Land Cruiser - or a mix of both?? If either, why the different name?

It seems this was not available here in the US...

2. mabrodis

mabrodis

I think it was just the 4runner-ish version for other countries, also I don't think it was actually called the "surf" but was the Hilux Surf I think...

3. Tapage

Tapage Club 4X4 Panamá SILVER Star

Is a 4Runner .. in some markets named Surf or Hi Lux Surf ( but the Hi Lux part is only for both Hi Lux and 4Runner, share some specs, as axles, engines and suspensions )

[​IMG]

Tokio surf ..

4. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

Wasnt the pre-4Runner pickup conversion called the surf too? They were built in the early 1980s, and had a shell and back seat but were kind of crude compared to the later 4-Runner? I remember seeing an add for one somewhere but cant remember what it was called.

5. firetruck41

firetruck41

That one was called the Trekker, and IIRC, was converted by Winnebago. :)

6. FirstToy

FirstToy

7. lingo

lingo

Not trying to hi-jack the thread but has anyone else seen a 2 door 4runner like the one bigbrowndog linked to on ebay in the U.S. 90-92 model? I thought i saw one about 3-4 yrs ago, but i have doubted myself ever sence.

8. bigbrowndog

bigbrowndog

Do your Hilux Surfs have 4 doors or 2? I don't remember seeing a 4 door surf in Oz.
    The 4 runners here have 4 doors like in the ebay pictures above.

9. lingo

lingo

in the U.S. after '88 (I think) all 4runners were 4 door. no surf here

10. firetruck41

firetruck41

Yes, there were US 2nd generation (90-95) 2 door 4runner models, though they stopped selling the 2 door version in 92. Weird thing is they are the same wheelbase, so there is no practical reason for one, they do look cool though.

11. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

IIRC the 2-door 4-Runner with the new body was only offered for the first year of the body change (1990). I could be wrong but they seem to be far and few between.

12. Cube Dweller

Cube Dweller Moderator

For photos of the 2dr 2nd gen click [post=589734]here[/post]

13. jesterb

jesterb

There is a 89 or 90 in town. It does have the same wheelbase. I think it looks kinda weird.

The only pre 84 "4Runners" that I have seem were all called Wolverines. I'm not sure how did the bodywork.

14. FirstToy

FirstToy

I don't know if you guys remember but back in the early 90's, there was a heavy tarriff imposed on import 2-door suv's. That's why Toyota, Isuzu, Nissan stopped selling them. Orig. Nissan Pathfinder was 2-door but b/c of the taxes, switched to 4 dr only.

Much later, it was found to be an illegal tax and Isuzu & others were awarded 100's of millions by the US Gov.

15. stinkyfj60

stinkyfj60

TREKKER! Thanks, it was driving me nuts. I kept thinking Surf just doesnt sound right even though I have heard that name for 4Runners. I remember one going for sale here in CO about three years ago, it was dirt cheap but too far away for me to go check out...

16. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

Yes, they only made them in 90 and 91. After that all they offered were 4 doors here in the US. And the tops don't come off on them like the 84-89 4 runners. But the 2 door 90-91 4 runners are pretty rare.

17. ken_79-fj40

ken_79-fj40

True, and there were lots of 4 runners,pathfinders, and troopers imported with no back seats. The back seats were a dealer installed option. Another way to try and beat the tariff. Worked for a while I think.

18. lowtideride

lowtideride

Media:
    Albums:
    Toyota surf is this thing that we do when it rains....seee here in florida it can rain like 5 inches in an hour so we take old surfboards 60ft of rope and a SOA over cruiser of choice....use your head....but its sure is fun rippin down the street and doing a nice sweeping turn in your friends front yard..

19. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

A long time ago, here in the States, the predecessor of the Tacoma was called the Hilux. It did not last long here. The Hilux badge refers to the pickup and SUV version. But when you have the SUV version, it is further referred to as a Surf--hence, Hilux Surf. I just bought a JDM Hilux Surf half-cut and will be using the drivetrain to build a KZJ-45.