What is a PTO winch and gearbox worth??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.advisorsil.com
I will have pics this weekend. i just need a little info about how much a stock winch off of a 1976 fj40 should be worth ...

I got asked to sell it by another member of the site, and I dont want to charge him too much but yet i dont want to just give it away iether.. IF I could just get an avg. cost of what everyone thinks it might be worth , that would be great!!!!

thanks!:confused::zilla:

It isn't worth anything..... I will give you a dollar for it:D

no, seriously... I paid $600 for a complete PTO winch. Box, winch shaft and linkage......

toyota or ramsey? they were both options-Toyota from the factory and ramsey from the dealer.

I paid $277 (ebay) for my whole setup, minus driveshaft.

The toyota will get more money than the ramsey will.

Awsome .. thanks for the help.... how can i tell if it is a ramsi of a toy? it has no markings as far as i know on it .. Im willing to bet its a toy.. does anyone know how to tell the diff.

I think a complete new-in-box setup went for 1100-1200 on ebay a couple of years ago.

I would go down from there, depending on how used/beat up, and what was included or missing. Many PTOs are missing the bumper wedges, or, say, the shift linkage/knobs, or the driveshaft, or the original hook. Often the legs on the winch have been broken. I have 2 PTO setups, both missing the wedges and hooks, and those things are important because they are hard to find stand alone.

what do you mean the wedges? ... I have the origional hook and chain but nt sure what the wedges are .. do you have a pic?

what do you mean the wedges? ... I have the origional hook and chain but nt sure what the wedges are .. do you have a pic?

Labeled AC and AE in this parts book figure. The ACs are wedge-shaped and called

spacer member number 1. The AEs are spacer member number 2.
winch (Small).jpg

I picked up a complete setup for a three speed for $400, everything including the wedges, shift lever, drive shaft, etc.. 4 speed setups seem more difficult to locate, so price accordingly.

HMMMMM WEDGES>>>>> HMMMM I dont know as if I have them Iether!.. Are they extremely important??? It looks like they act as a shim would or maybe act like a wedge to change the pinion angle for an axle... maybe????

PTO setups made for the 3 speed are adaptable to the 4 speed. It's a matter of adding three inches to the drive shaft. I'm doing it to mine this weekend by cutting the shaft near the PTO end, then insert a 3" spacer of the same OD of the shaft with about 3" on each end. Each end of the 3" spacer I've turned down on the lathe to fit the ID of the separated shaft. That description make sense? Anyway, then mig it together, Zero rust & install.
There's no way it will go together that simply of course. :)

Vic
Redlands, CA

PTO setups made for the 3 speed are adaptable to the 4 speed. It's a matter of adding three inches to the drive shaft. I'm doing it to mine this weekend by cutting the shaft near the PTO end, then insert a 3" spacer of the same OD of the shaft with about 3" on each end. Each end of the 3" spacer I've turned down on the lathe to fit the ID of the separated shaft. That description make sense? Anyway, then mig it together, Zero rust & install.
There's no way it will go together that simply of course. :)

Vic
Redlands, CA

Are you saying the 3-speed PTO gearbox will mount to a 4/5-speed, split transfer case?

Are you saying the 3-speed PTO gearbox will mount to a 4/5-speed, split transfer case?

I'll jump in here - the answer is no. The mounting bolt patterns are different. The splits case pattern is symmetrical left-right and top-bottom, whereas the earlier type is asymmetrical. There's a French web page showing someone modifying the earlier pto drive case to fit the split case - a search here should locate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom