What is a low mileage cruiser? (1 Viewer)

What do you consider to be low mileage for a cruiser?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well I preordered a turbo, so I plan on boostin right past the 100k mark. It was fun while it lasted. I felt like a cool kid for a minute.
At the end of the day, why have them if you can’t enjoy them? Don’t get me wrong, I really like the stock look and feel - but I was in ACC the other day looking at a beautiful stock fj62 getting an ls v8 transplant. Would by lying if I said I wasn’t wondering “what if?”

So I got mine at 143K and feel pretty decent about it. All things considered, I feel lucky enough, I didn’t get killed getting it either. Looking down the barrel of what I’m going to do is another story, that’ll be harsh on the wallet, but all together it’s a good opportunity for me to have.

At the end of the day, why have them if you can’t enjoy them? Don’t get me wrong, I really like the stock look and feel - but I was in ACC the other day looking at a beautiful stock fj62 getting an ls v8 transplant. Would by lying if I said I wasn’t wondering “what if?”
Agreed, well said. Enjoy them for all that they are, and all that you can make them. Sitting in an ultra low mileage 97 cruiser a year or so ago, it just felt great. It really felt like it was new. Everything was clean and not from a fresh steam bath either.

I've not been to ACC but I've heard enough to know that I shouldn't go there until I hit the powerball. FJ62 with a V8 sounds sweeeet.

Set to break 143k this weekend. Hoping to keep it under 150k for a few more years.
Drive it and enjoy it. 143K is a sweet spot for certain.

Anything less than 10k/year is by definition "low", and you can add a "very" in front of that for every standard deviation away from the mean. Whether or not mileage matters is neither here nor there.

Original owner at 112k or so....
I’m ready for another 25 years.

IMG_2966.JPG

Last edited:
Purchased in June 94. No commute as I walk to work!
Used as a weekend escape capsule from our home in NYC. Up to the Catskills and out the beach. Treasure hunting for lost art & antiques.
A few dirt roads and some ice and snow, but no serious offroading.
Always lived in my nice warm garage during the week.
(Almost pure stock with factory lockers.)

Last edited:
Purchased in June 94. No commute as I walk to work!
Used as a weekend escape capsule from our home in NYC. Up to the Catskills and out the beach. Treasure hunting for lost art & antiques.
A few dirt roads and some ice and snow, but no serious offroading.
Always lived in my nice warm garage during the week.
(Almost pure stock with factory lockers.)
That amost brings tears. That’s so awesome. You’re lucky indeed, one of few original owners.

My 97 has 136k miles as of now, put less than 10k miles in the past 12 yrs ;) I am sure my 201 will beat that number very soon!!

I'm new to the LC world, but when looking for mine, I used the 100K number. I was very fortunate to find a garage kept 92 with under 64k and it's pretty spotless inside and out. I was amazed how all over the place prices were - I saw trucks with between 200-300k asking more than what I paid. I know that asking and getting are different things, but the numbers were all over the place.

I was lucky enough to buy a 94 from a friend with 119,000 on it back in October of last year.
I consider that REALLY low mileage on a 25 year old vehicle. When he bought it in 2015, it only had 60,000 on it!! It was a ranch vehicle for a wealthy family in West Texas and not driven very much.

From a mechanical perspective, this thing wasn’t really that well taken care of other than changing the engine oil. Everything was stock, including the heater hoses. I have had to replace all those (including the PHH), replace all the suspension components with an OME kit, replace all the U-joints in the drive line, replace all vacuum hoses, front knuckle rebuild, etc. I’ve put a lot of money into this thing since making the original purchase, even doing most of the work myself.

Looking back I don’t regret it at all, but it probably would have been easier to buy a 200,000 mile example that someone had already done this stuff to. Buying a lower mileage cruiser that has had nothing done to it definitely isn’t going to save you doing any mechanical work, and it certainly isn’t something magical I’d pay a pretty penny for.

I was lucky enough to buy a 94 from a friend with 119,000 on it back in October of last year.
I consider that REALLY low mileage on a 25 year old vehicle. When he bought it in 2015, it only had 60,000 on it!! It was a ranch vehicle for a wealthy family in West Texas and not driven very much.

From a mechanical perspective, this thing wasn’t really that well taken care of other than changing the engine oil. Everything was stock, including the heater hoses. I have had to replace all those (including the PHH), replace all the suspension components with an OME kit, replace all the U-joints in the drive line, replace all vacuum hoses, front knuckle rebuild, etc. I’ve put a lot of money into this thing since making the original purchase, even doing most of the work myself.

Looking back I don’t regret it at all, but it probably would have been easier to buy a 200,000 mile example that someone had already done this stuff to. Buying a lower mileage cruiser that has had nothing done to it definitely isn’t going to save you doing any mechanical work, and it certainly isn’t something magical I’d pay a pretty penny for.
Cool story. That’s low mileage for sure!

I think having a baselined low mileage cruiser is best of all worlds. Better than a baselined higher mileage one. Plus not everyone uses OEM parts in baseline or maintenance so I’d end up redoing their efforts.

Our 2000 is sitting at 99,800 miles. Local Toyota services by the book - just did pump and timing. Had to replace horns and a foggy headlight. Love the White externior, Florida dealer brush guard package and Tan leadther interior. What does my wife like most? it's got a 6-pack in dash CD player. It's her daily driver/ Guess I am lucky it is long paid for???:p
and the dogs love the grand canyon in the back!

IMG_4111.JPG

I am on the other end of the spectrum. Sitting at 282,000 as a daily driver and getting ready to drive it from GA to WY for work in a few days. I drive it back and forth from WY and GA every year. I just drove her 1800 miles down to the southern most point of the US for a quick vacation. I feel like i get to enjoy driving it and spending time using it. Sure i wish it had 150,000 on it and i do worry about wearing it out. But they were meant to be used.

Have 135k miles on 97 LX. Have been daily driving since picking it up last Fall with 118K on the odometer. Keep saying I'm going to pick up a 100 or 200 for the work related highway miles but I like driving the 80.

Have 135k miles on 97 LX. Have been daily driving since picking it up last Fall with 118K on the odometer. Keep saying I'm going to pick up a 100 or 200 for the work related highway miles but I like driving the 80.
I've got a 100 series that I'm nearly done restoring / refurbishing. I enjoy it, but I'd rather drive the 80. Daily driving the 80 feels so nice. I think chicks like 80's better too!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom