What Is A Fzj80 ? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Almost all of the FZJ80's have ABS and therefore have the ABS ring on the birfield. None of the FJ80's had ABS.

There is also a difference in the drive flange on earlier 80's but I believe the stub axle is the same length. C-Dan will know for sure.

-B-

Beowulf said:
None of the FJ80's had ABS.

-B-

Another nice FJ feature. ;)

White Shark said:
Another nice FJ feature. ;)

Yup. Makes things easier having a simpler engine and other crap :D

They didnt have bad number 6 seals on the head gasket either......
3FE POWER !!!!!
As kunz is trying to sell his 91 I feel someone needs to take it over.

Yeah, we can turn our ABS off, but you cant turn any more power on. :flipoff2:

There are four possible birfields in the 80 (in North America anyway).

1) Non-ABS 1991 to April 1994, Uses the "short" drive flange.

2)ABS 1993 to April 1994, Uses the "short" drive flange.

3) Non-ABS April 1994 to December 1994, uses the "tall" drive flange (VERY RARE)

4) ABS April 1994 to end of production, uses "tall" drive flange.

The early ABS birf has been "set-superceeded" to the later version by Toyota and requires the addition of the "tall" drive flange in the replacement.

An ABS birf can be used in a non-ABS axle as long as the appropriate drive flange is used. A non-ABS birf could be used in an ABS axle as an emergency repair, again as long as the appropriate drive flange is used. Of course in this case the ABS is disabled.

"Tall" drive flange birfs are prefered as there is more spline engagement.

D-

I think the question may be more basic guys. He is asking the difference between an FJ80 and an FZJ80.

The FJ80 is the 1991-1992 model landcruiser wagon with the 3FE motor. The FZJ80 is the 1993-1997 model with the 1fz motor.

From a birf perspective what is important is that the 91-92 never had ABS. 95% of 93-94s had ABS and a new birf with an ABS ring but a small number had no ABS. All 95-97s had ABS.

Now overlay that with Dan's information about the flange change, and be aware that some 91-94s have had their birfs replaced with the tall flange birf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom