What in the world did people do before TV, internet, and radio!??!

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Arya Ebrahimi, Aug 9, 2005.

1. Arya Ebrahimi

Arya Ebrahimi

Good lord I was bored last night!! I'm by myself in the mountains with just a telephone. No radio, computer, tv, etc. I decided to make a fire and drink beers, but then it started to pour down rain. About that time Mr. CDan called and entertained me for a while, but then I was back to boredom. I wandered my way into town this morning(~25 miles) and found the library which just happens to have internet(bless their soles!!!). Too bad I can't take the internet home with me. I guess I'll have to check out a book 'cause it's supposed to rain for the next 3 days. So much for building a deck and putting on a new roof this week. :eek:

Ary

2. Jman

Jman

They did what you do. :rolleyes:

Ya know, with your hand. :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:

3. briguy44

briguy44

Only they had to work a little harder because they didn't have anything like the cheerleader thread. ;)

4. Arya Ebrahimi

Arya Ebrahimi

can't you guys read, I said no internet! ;p :flipoff2:

5. Doc

Doc

Media:
    Albums:
    They screwed their cousins.

6. LabRat11

LabRat11

Well, what did you think you would be able to do in the middle of the dark zone... http://www.gb.nrao.edu/nrqz/nrqz.html Things like this http://www.gb.nrao.edu/ are obstructed by cell towers, tv/radio broadcasts, etc. Go pay them a visit on one of their open house days - facinating.

If you haven't done it allready, go ride the Cass Railroad. Take the trip all the way to the top. http://www.cassrailroad.com/ Steam powered all wheel drive - way cool.

Theres more to do there than just ski Ari - enjoy the tranquility. However, If you're totally bored - convince your dad that he needs a satelite hook up. Go through Direcway www.direcway.com for a combo sat tv / broadband internet package. I've seen them in action - quite impressive

To your larger issue.....

AAaaaahh - symptoms of the wimpification of americas youth.

It wasn't all that long ago (yes, I'm nearing 40 - but I'm not 'old as the hills'). I grew up in a small agricultural community south of Richmond, Va. Al Gore had yet to invent the internet and computers took entire rooms of vacuum tubes. There were 2 TV stations and 3 AM radio stations that we could pull in over the airwaves at our house.

Typical days started about 6am. Get up, get ready, and WALK to school. I lived within 2 miles of both the K-7 pirmary school and the 8-12 high school I attended - no bus for me. School started at 6:50am - ended at 1:30pm. Walk home. Afternoon chores. Goof off / play for a few hours before dinner. Home work / study. Was allowed 1 hour of TV a day. Bed by 9pm.

Being an ag community things like hay season were exceptable reasons for staying home from school. Opening of deer season was a county holiday.

AAAaaaaaaahhh - those were the days. The encroaching suburban sprawl has taken it all away. I go home these days and don't recognize the places of my youth.

7. uzj100

uzj100

Talked. and Talked and Talked and talked and Drank lots of beer!

uzj100

8. gulp3000

gulp3000

Hunt, fish, eat, mate, sleep.

9. fsusteve

fsusteve

Media:
    Albums:

BWHAHAHAHA....that's as far as I read......

10. willmaxr

willmaxr

The family and I are about to find out on one of the three. Just ditched the TV. We'll see what happens, more books, time together, etc. Gonna be tough not plugging the kids in...

11. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

They read books.
    Before books they stared at the stars and made up pictures in the sky by playing connect-the-stars, then they made up stories to go with the imagined pictures, after a while they began to believe the stories so they worshiped the imagined pictures, and during the daylight hours they built temples and colloseums, and at night they worshiped some more, sometimes the older men took baths with young boys -- but that's another subject, but mostly they told stories about the imagined connect-the-stars pictures...until someone else came along with a better story of how things should be...they they told different stories.

When they weren't doing this...they slept.

:D

12. Texx

Texx

Judging from the size of the American family back in the early part of the 20th century, I'd say there was alot of scrumpin' going on. (Part screwing, part humping, scrumping!) I have TV, satellite, and radio at my place in the Sangre de Christos, hardly ever deal with any of em tho. Do miss the internet, but refuse to take something to look at inside the house when I should be outside enjoying the pines...

13. Cookiemonster

Cookiemonster

Ya but back in the day the scrumping was going on so you could have your own little work force for raising the animals & crops.

14. hatman406080

hatman406080

Albums:
    :beer:

:eek: :beer: :beer: :beer: :)

15. Arya Ebrahimi

Arya Ebrahimi

When it's pouring down rain I've got plenty to do. I ended up taking the time yesterday to catch up on some cruiser projects and drink some beer. Today it's not raining so I get to dig all the holes for the foundation of the deck and set the posts. Tomorrow I pour concrete and start on the deck itself. Or maybe I'll do that side of the roof so that when I throw the shingles down they don't damage my beautiful new deck. When I get bored from all of the above I'll go down to the stream and continue clearing out all the collected rubbish from the last big storm. Trying to make a nice little sitting area down there and the flowing water keeps it nice and cool.

Oh yeah, I'm supposed to have the roof and deck done by Sunday, anybody want a job? :D

Ary

16. Deep South Cruisers

Deep South Cruisers 1978 FJ40 ~ 283 V8

I can finish that deck in 28 beers or less :D

No t.v. or modern conveineces :frown: welcome to the real world!

The wife and I stayed a week at the farm this spring and by the time I chopped wood for the fireplace, prepped and cooked the meals and did a little brush clearing I was to tired to do anything else.

Definately a better way of life IMHO and surely more healthy than vegetating on the couch.

17. dieseldog

dieseldog She idles just fine . . .

When you mention "research" to most folks these days, they immediately think of jumping on the internet and googling or some other search engine. Most of these folks have no clue as to how to actually go to "the stacks" and use an actual library filled with actual bound volumes called books. It should not be possible nor permissible to matriculate and graduate from a university without learning these skills--which have NOTHING to do with using a QWERTY keyboard.

Venturing into dusty volumes and discovering the treasures that lay within . . . . delving into something other than a chat room or blog is a fulfilling life skill IMHO. Leisure reading and letter writing are becoming lost skills.

18. mj1015

mj1015

I was born way back in 1956. My family didnt have a TV and I didnt get around to owning one until I was in my mid 30s. Of course no internet. I don't remember ever being bored. Just way to much to do and then there was he process of actually walking or riding a bike to places. Do a little fishing, shoot a couple of rabbits, roof the house, dig some post holes, pull some weeds in the garden, try to figure out how to steal a smooch from the hotttie down the way, catch a Boris Karloff double feature at the Chief and then talk about it all week and goof around with your pals. I am not convinced that living in the burbs, catching rides to the mall, 300 TV channels and instant everything is in anyway a good way to grow up.

19. Hossdog

Hossdog

and goats....baaaaaahhhh

20. Arya Ebrahimi

Arya Ebrahimi

Well, you guys sure are getting defensive about the fact that you're old, and I didn't even bring that up :flipoff2:

Like I said, there's plenty to do without the TV, internet, or radio, but not when it's raining. I'm also brand new to the area and don't know anyone around. It's summertime at a winter resort, so there's not a whole lot going on around here.

I by no means grew up vegetating on the couch or hanging out on blogs and crap. I wasn't allowed to watch TV during the week and never really found anything all that exciting to watch on the weekends. I quit playing video games when I was 10, and was never really that into them in the first place. Anyway, there's no need for me to get defensive, I spent all day on the roof and I'm BEAT! I don't know how guys do that crap for a living. The roofing part isn't so bad, it's removing the old shingles that's the killer.

BTW, when doing strenuous activity outside, drink water. I forgot that today. Ended up laid out under a tree for 2 hours sipping water and gatorade trying to get rid of the headache I had. I think I was borderline heat exhaustion, I'd stopped sweating and had a headache, or is it borderline heat stroke at that point? I can't remember. Went to go look it up in my scout handbook, but it's at home(I know, I'm a dork ;p )

Ary

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.