What if LC is parked and area flooded? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Its a puzzle. Your beloved LC is up to its glass in flood water. You have had differentials and tranny vents moved and secured. Maybe a snorkel even. Inside not flooded yet. How can you get inside, start it and get the eff outta there?

20210606_085529.jpg

You don't start it for starters

I'd leave it and let the water come back down. Or winch it with another vehicle to where the water level is lower. But I certainly wouldn't start it and risk running current through electronics or pulling water into the motor.

If its totaled its totaled. Buy it back from insurance for cheap and know you didn't ruin the motor or fry your electronics.

break the window and climb in or sunroof if it has one

Or wish you'd gotten the LX instead, so you can just hold the unlock button for the windows to all roll down :flipoff2:

But yeah, don't start it. If it's up to the glass, it's leaking inside and enough of the electrical system is mounted near the floor. I'd be surprised if the LX trick even works.

Time machine?

(Go back in time, and move the vehicle to a more appropriate place before the flood.)

All good input. Nite time rain and flash flooding while asleep is a grim prospect these days. Water in the engine bad news. Yep totalled but if in a foreign country (say Central America) doubtful you will get a lot of insurance sympathy. If the water has not gone inside then those electronics are ok. The box in the engine compartment is questionable. Winching is probably my best hope.

Last edited:
Wenching is probably my best hope.

Wenching might make you feel better, but winching would likely be more helpful in starting to resolve your problem(s). 😂

wenching:
(of a man) consort with prostitutes.

winching:
hoist or haul with a winch.

All good input. Nite time rain and flash flooding while asleep if a grim prospect these days. Water in the engine bad news. Yep totalled but if in a foreign country (say Central America) doubtful you will get a lot of insurance sympathy. If the water has not gone insude then those electronics are ok. The box in the engine compartment is questionable. Wenching is probably my best hope
Wenching might make you feel better, but winching would likely be more helpful in starting to resolve your problem(s). 😂

wenching:
(of a man) consort with prostitutes.

winching:
hoist or haul with a winch.
Oops wrong forum! 😜

Its a puzzle. Your beloved LC is up to its glass in flood water. You have had differentials and tranny vents moved and secured. Maybe a snorkel even. Inside not flooded yet. How can you get inside, start it and get the eff outta there?

View attachment 2776503
Sadly, it is an LC100, not an FJ40!!

If the water is at the glass, it is way too late. The 14 to 22 year old door seals, grommets in floor and firewall, vents below windscreen, vents at Rear of vehicle, etc, etc, etc are anything but waterproof. At this stage, there definitely is water in the footwells and in the electrics there (forward of both Front doors). There may be water over the engine. No snorkel in the picture? If there is a snorkel, how good is are the seals? How do you know? Was it an eBay special installed for decoration, or a quality unit properly installed for true water emergencies? How good are the starter motor seals? How much incompressible water already is sitting in the air intake?

If the vehicle cannot be driven or winched or trucked to a dry, or at least a shallower, position, or put on high stands, way before water rises to the windowsills, then instead figure out how to disconnect the battery quickly, stop all possible water induced electrical shorts in looms, Junction Boxes and anything electronic everywhere. Recovering and rebuilding wet but undamaged engine, transmission, driveline and other mechanicals is do-able. Stripping out shorted electrics is something else entirely. Drying them out may be possible if they have been depowered.

Certainly, trying to start a vehicle at the depth described would be crazy brave.

:popcorn:
:beer::beer:

Can't wait to hear how long those seals lasted before they started to weep. They are advertised to be waterproof, unlike the Nissans.

Is this a hypothetical situation or did this happen to you?

Its hypothetical (better spell check as some here are way too clever), but given my destination (So America, ie Amazon Basin and even Central America), and Climate Change, who the hell knows. I see these cars up to their glass in water. I sure hate to see mine in that situation. Rivers you were not aware of, busted earthen damns, whatnot, water everywhere (but here!). So I was unable to sleep and this hit me. Leaving Jan 1 after the worst of it I hope.

original_file_lock.jpg

If you're truly worried about this happening, disconnect your battery. Being immersed in water for a relatively short period of time usually doesn't harm electronics when there's no power being applied. There are exceptions, of course. But your best bet for being able to drive the vehicle after the water recedes is to do what you can to prevent water from entering the intake, and prevent the electrical systems from being powered while submerged/soaked. If you need to drive it while water is 4' high, you're better off buying a boat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom