What headlights to get? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to replace the stock headlights in my '76 40 -

Hella? IPF? wattage? vendor?

I've found Hellas from SOR and Sesquahana(sp?) and other sources, who has the best price on IPFs and are they worth it?

I'm planning on building my own wiring harness so that is not going to be an issue, probably overkill with the size relays I've already got - but I saw some prewired harnesses in Summit for not too much dinero - what about pigtails for the plugs on the harness? Summit specifies a Toyota style H4 and a regular H4? What's the difference?

Thanks for your help :beer:

I have the hella from sor and they have ruined me. i hate driving any other car nothing else compares. i have seen the ipf, but i don't think as bright. i am just using a standard h4 motorcycle bulb.

mike

I've had the SOR Hellas for a couple of years with a stock harness and have no problems with them, plenty of light for daily driving purposes. If you want more light, wire up a relay system.

Just Man A Fre's online price for the lens and 80/100W bulb so far Kurt - what have you got laying around?

Kinda leaning towards the www.rallylights.com Hellas w/80-100W Xenon bulbs for $87.94 right now -

If you've got some IPFs shoot me a PM with price and I'll probably take em off your hands -

Also need lens mounting hardware, the outside ring and aiming bucket - got any used ones on the shelf?

Thanks

I have both the Hella and IPF, I MUCH perfer the IPF beam pattern to the hella, dont get me wrong the Hellas are great but the IPF IMOP is just better.

also the Hella come with 55/60, the IPF come with nothing so you can pick up wattage

I run Hella 80/100's in most of my H-4's.

So you're saying run the IPF lens with the Hella 80/100 bulb?

Thanks -

yes thats what I am saying. I have been picking up the IPFs for $25-ish each thru a buddies shop. I have 5-6 pairs of them.........like em alot.

not sure if you want to run the 80/100 unless you have upgraded your headlight wiring or added a upgraded harness.

haystax said:
So you're saying run the IPF lens with the Hella 80/100 bulb?

Thanks -

I also run the IPF lights. The pattern is what sold me. I just run 55/60 bulbs though.

I run the hellas with the bulbs they came with. 55/60's I believe, on the stock harness. It works great, but it could be brighter. I plan on one of the summit harnesses too, I believe fj40's use the standard h4 harness. Then I can safely run higher wattage bulbs.

Landpimp said:
yes thats what I am saying. I have been picking up the IPFs for $25-ish each thru a buddies shop. I have 5-6 pairs of them.........like em alot.

not sure if you want to run the 80/100 unless you have upgraded your headlight wiring or added a upgraded harness.

I've got some Bosch relays laying around - 12v 74amp - should handle the wattage and then some - overkill I know but they are tough and have lasted well on other heavier duty projects

Thanks again

Haystax, I don't mean to hijack but now you've got me on a search for some new lights. I've found some IPF 920H insert lenses online for $27.50 each (don't know the shipping yet). Is this correct for a 40 and is it right to say then that these will simply slip in where the old sealed beams are and I can use H4 bulbs?

Thanks,
Rice

Rice - I think any 7" lens will work but I am not sure of this, just going by what seems to make sense that a lot of articles for a lot of different vehicles seem to swap 7" rounds like nothing.

They look fine from what I see on MAF's site.

920H is correct for all 40's, 55s. 60's, yes they plug right in.

Rice said:
Haystax, I don't mean to hijack but now you've got me on a search for some new lights. I've found some IPF 920H insert lenses online for $27.50 each (don't know the shipping yet). Is this correct for a 40 and is it right to say then that these will simply slip in where the old sealed beams are and I can use H4 bulbs?

Thanks,
Rice

Landpimp said:

Many thanks. Ordered today.

I run H4s in my 40 but I didn't spend as much as you guys are posting. Go to your local motorcycle junkyard and get some H4s for pocket change. They came on many of the Yamaha, Kawasaki, and Honda street bikes in the '80s and '90s. They bolt in just like they were meant to be there and the optional 80/100 bulbs really make them sweet. Motor cycle lenses are made a little bit different to not only compensate for only having one light but also to improve headlight pattern while leaning in a turn. When you mount up a pair of these babies in the front of a 40 it makes a world of difference. Relays are a must but that is a different discussion and everyone already has them. If not then you have no business worrying about H4s since you don't even have full voltage getting to the headliights you already have. :D

I have ran the IPF housings and bulbs (yeah the goofy ones with the afterglow ring) for a while and really like the light pattern. Last month I wired in the relay system (APC H-4 about $30 form Summit Racing), and they really came alive. If just brighter lighting is what you are after, hit-up your local Pep-Boys/Autozone/Kragen/WHATWEVER. APC makes a cheap housing too. A friend ran those in his '74 Beetle, and were really bright, and 1/2 the cost of the IPF and Hella's. Whatever you do put a relay harness in, built yourself or other, you won't be dissapointed.

I must have ordered the wrong harness from Summit though, because the one I received had 4 light sockets. I cut off 2, and it still works as advertised.

Landpimp said:

Landpimp, so the 920H is the IPF lense with nothing in it? what part number is the Hella 80/100 and 55/60 that fits in it?

Also one more pls, what is a part number for a harness to use with these headlights? or should I buy some relays, wire and make my own?

Part numbers are what I need to order up here, not a lot of parts stores here and its easier to order on the phone.

Thanks

yes its the lens with no bulb. I don't know the part # for the Hella's.

brownbear said:
Landpimp, so the 920H is the IPF lense with nothing in it? what part number is the Hella 80/100 and 55/60 that fits in it?

Also one more pls, what is a part number for a harness to use with these headlights? or should I buy some relays, wire and make my own?

Part numbers are what I need to order up here, not a lot of parts stores here and its easier to order on the phone.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom