What have you towed, pulled or hauled with your Cruiser? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Can anyone give me the specs for what the MAXIMUM towing capacity is for a 1992 FJ80?

Is a Cruiser capable of towing an 18 ft. car trailer with a vehicle secured to it? Is this possible?

I've seen Cruisers in my area towing boats and such, so I was wondering what all of you have towed, pulled or even hauled over the years with your Cruisers.

I've towed a 3500 lb trailer for my scout troop quite a bit. I think Yomama may hold the record with that yacht he has. At some point Cdan will chime in on the rated capacity for the LC on this thread. hehehe :flipoff2:

Well, I'm not looking to set land speed records while trying to haul a car trailer w/ a vehicle on it. I was wondering if I wanted to transport my 94 Cobra (or any other vehicle for that matter) from one destination to another, if this WAS possible being a RESPONSIBLE driver.... :)

I'm looking at possibly purchasing an 18ft car trailer and was just wondering before I actually make a purchase IF the Crusier is capable of tackling such a task on FLAT roads, not climbing mountains, etc... LOL...

Is the 92 FJ80 hitch a Class 3 hitch?

I've stumbled on another thread where other FJ80 owners have hauler other Cruisers on car trailers...

I have towed with my '97 and think that the FJ is capable but is going to be slow and slower to stop, I don't think I would tow a car without trailer brakes.......but this probably all depends on where you will be towing, I towed an old Toyota Pickup across NE and it was relatively easy until I hit the foot hills of CO where I just creeped along and could barely stop luckily that was my stoping point............all this said I am planning a trip back home to AK from NE in a couple weeks and have a 14 ft enclosed trailer that will probably be about 4-5,000 lbs and I feel comfortable that the '97 will haul it but I did put in a brake controller, wouldn't have done that extended of a trip without...............

Cobra Jet said:
Is a Cruiser capable of towing an 18 ft. car trailer with a vehicle secured to it? Is this possible?I've seen Cruisers in my area towing boats and such, so I was wondering what all of you have towed, pulled or even hauled over the years with your Cruisers.

I towed this with my 1997 supercharged Cruiser.
formula271.jpg

Over 10,000 miles of towing a 6000lb boat. I think your rated capacity is 5000lbs. Consider AirLift air springs that fit in your rear coils. Several have them with excellent results. Best $100 I've spent for towing capability.

DougM

Cobra Jet said:
Can anyone give me the specs for what the MAXIMUM towing capacity is for a 1992 FJ80?

Is a Cruiser capable of towing an 18 ft. car trailer with a vehicle secured to it? Is this possible?

I've seen Cruisers in my area towing boats and such, so I was wondering what all of you have towed, pulled or even hauled over the years with your Cruisers.

I have towed a BJ70 from bufflo to NJ, a fj45 from Il to NJ and a full sized chevy van to Va from NJ on a 16ft car trailer. This is with a Ford E150 1/2 ton van with the I6 300 in it . Its not fast, hills its a dog and w/o trailer brakes your going to die .
The biggest thing is load the trailer right and have trailer brakes and you'll be fine

My 96 Powerstroke f250 lost its dual mass flywheel in Limon, CO on the way back here about a month ago.
So we hooked up the 18' dovetail with the 74 40, and a BUNCH of heavy tools, parts etc on it to our 96 fzj80.
It pulled a lot better than expected, but I did it late at night, and it was only about 100 miles. The trailer has brakes, but the 80 doesn't have a controller, YET.
After I got it back here I had to weigh everything for the Army and the trailer weighed in at about 11,000 lbs.
With our 94 80 we had I would sometimes tow with just a Cruiser on the trailer and it did pretty good, but it had a controller for the brakes.

I run a Tekonsha Prodigy brake controller for the brakes on my 14' car trailer....the trailer is pretty stripped, and my FJ40 isn't terribly heavy...total weight is in the 5500# range (4000 truck, 1500 trailer) and I'll wager both are high. Trailer presently has single axle brakes, but will have all 4 with brakes prior to the next trip. I've put on about 3000 miles this year so far while towing, including a 1400 mile trip home from TX with no trailer brakes controller.

80 now has a OME medium lift with stock tires....I do run 750# load bars on the weight dist hitch tho, but that's strongly discouraged by Toyota.

125k on the 80, no complaints with towing power, braking, handling, etc. Keep the power switch on all the time, and I mostly keep it out of overdrive too unless it's a long flat/downhill section. Engine runs around 3200rpm at 70mph.

97 w/305s and stock gears and 4 people pulling 1 axle Uhaul with light furniture load from Ohio to SoCal was virtually useless if there was any incline or 95+ low humidity temperatures. We were down to < 30 MPH going West on the 40 from Needles, Ca. (incline and high temp) and getting my doors blown off by any number of Yukons, Burbans, etc. pulling large boats at full speed (in Ca., thats about 75 to 80 mph). IMHO, Cruzahs are very good at what they're good at but towing in the desert ain't it.

Sounds like your 80 needs a look. That doesn't sound right.

DougM

I have a 1991 Fj80 and its rated at 5000lbs with oem tow. Flat stretches you'll be ok. I towed a flat carrier 2000lbs, 4 full size 4wheelers, and a tool box that fits in the back of a pick up that was welded to the carrier and full of tools, and such up Bloss Mountain for the weekend. If the 92Fj80 is running correctly you shouldn't have a problem.....But bring gas money!!! ;)

A bobcat over mtn passes, BUT I do not encourage it. The Durango, before it was supercharged (very slow and really too heavy). The boat all the time, (old pic before mods). It tows much better with the slee 6", than with stock, 2 1/2" mediums or J springs.
P1010159.JPG
Seans pics 084.jpg
Seans pics 077.jpg

I have a '92 with 32 BFG at's (really measure about 31"es), and 4:88 gears, adv. timing, tune-up. I towed 6000lb + boat and trailer up to about 55 mph on some back roads with no problem. The boat trailer has brakes.

With the 3FE I really couldn't imagine towing much without changing the gears.

CIMG1103.jpg

A bobcat over mtn passes, BUT I do not encourage it. The Durango, before it was supercharged (very slow and really too heavy). The boat all the time, (old pic before mods). It tows much better with the slee 6", than with stock, 2 1/2" mediums or J springs.

Why don't I live there?

I am going to tow my buddy's Jeep to his cabin in the mountains over the 4th. I was kinda worried about doing it, but after reading this it sounds like it should be ok... but slow.

Custom Flatbed Pop-up

just tested out the finished product... Just got back from the dunes at Glamis and the truck ran nicely. Great compromise since Toy Haulers are outta the question for 80's
flatbed popup.JPG
flatbed popup 2.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom