What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (37 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Took it on a road trip around SW Montana.

20201015_174539.jpg

Overlooking the northern end of the Madison range on the way back to Virginia City.

20201015_170045.jpg

Speaking of Virginia City, it was literally a ghost town.

20201015_122000.jpg

Took the top off to grab some of the last bits of sun we're going to have here in the PNW until June... :)

Touching up a few things on the top while it's off as well as a couple paint corrections.

Will be installing air conditioning soon as well. May do a write up on it.

20201016_170942.jpg

Took the top off to grab some of the last bits of sun we're going to have here in the PNW until June... :)

Touching up a few things on the top while it's off as well as a couple paint corrections.

Will be installing air conditioning soon as well. May do a write up on it.

View attachment 2467396
An A/C install write-up would be great. 👍

I did a bit of fiberglass repair this week.
tempImageVUiW8j.jpg

this sheet is the backing so that I can add the laminating layers from the top
tempImageuAcm1X.jpg

I used plastic sheeting over the top to give it shape. I then added the resin and rolled all the air pockets out with a fin roller.
tempImageF5gXOx.jpg

Then glued it to the bottom side with poly resin and used gel coat to let it harden fully
tempImage870tWL.jpg

This is after 8 layers of biaxial fiberglass, 2 layers of chop strand and 1 gallon of resin. I ran out of resin, but it could have used 2 more layers. Also should of used a level to ensure the front was flat. Resin is a bit proud toward the front, whilst the rear is needing more resin.
tempImagedrAELO.jpg

I did a bit of fiberglass repair this week.
View attachment 2467517
this sheet is the backing so that I can add the laminating layers from the top
View attachment 2467519
I used plastic sheeting over the top to give it shape. I then added the resin and rolled all the air pockets out with a fin roller.
View attachment 2467521
Then glued it to the bottom side with poly resin and used gel coat to let it harden fully
View attachment 2467520
This is after 8 layers of biaxial fiberglass, 2 layers of chop strand and 1 gallon of resin. I ran out of resin, but it could have used 2 more layers. Also should of used a level to ensure the front was flat. Resin is a bit proud toward the front, whilst the rear is needing more resin.
View attachment 2467522
Please keep the photos of your progress coming. I have no fiberglass repair experience and this very interesting to see your work.

My top needs repainted and has micro cracks and chipping in the paint. Any thoughts - Should I just strip, gel coat and sand or is there a better way to go about it?

94314200-AB2B-467F-B8FD-67A497FEE9D7.jpeg

Last edited:
Goodies arrived yesterday. Trying to figure out when I can carve out some time to install. If it took
@GA Architect about 8 hours then it’ll likely take me double that. It almost looks like this body mount or spacer was made from an old tire.

4D00D350-F9C8-4DDF-837D-AB13B5895087.jpeg

BEE0ED7B-9A85-4050-83A6-352E8C361C8A.jpeg

357FDFC8-157B-45CB-84DE-909AB15BCD07.jpeg

Started to assemble my blast cabinet so that I can start to clean up and paint all my smaller parts such as the hinges and such. This is a cheap harbor freight cabinet, but I think it will perform fine for me. It is taking a while as i am making lots of the recommended mods I saw on YouTube as I go.
View attachment 2461836
Think I am done with modifications for now. Things done to the cabinet were:
1. Modified dolly and screwed it to the legs
2. Added new gun with better Venturi effect
3. Added foot valve
4. Added pressure regulator
5. Added 2 pretty powerful led lights
6. Added grounded electrical box with outlet and lights controlled by switch
7. Added dust shield with lip to door
8. Added dust shield around interior flange lip
9. Added two close-able vacuum ports
10. Added left baffle vent duct
11. Built/added gravity feed with valve
12. Flipped the machine screws that hold the glass
13. Flipped all hardware to avoid glove rips and spots for media to gather
14. Cut bottom grate down to 25” x 16” so it will sit lower and add room in blast chamber

Was more work than I thought it would be. Also fabbing all the chunks and bits myself added a fair bit of time. If anyone is interested, the total cost for entire cabinet and parts was around 260. That said I had a fair bit of pipe fittings, the valve, hardware, and some electrical stuff laying around for this that would have added probably 30 bucks to the project.

Anyway - done for now. I will post pics once I start blasting my door/hood/barn door hinges.

Also, will happily accept any unwanted automotive/land cruiser/tool related sticker to slap on this thing for eye candy👍😁 Going to add a couple Summit and Jegs ones that I have.
11F09A6B-5443-48B9-B1A1-97BDE1FF7447.jpeg

337F334A-BFAD-4B5A-B6A1-B0D2003B8054.jpeg

4F45F766-0B47-48B6-84AF-78EEEE60F16C.jpeg

Last edited:
Think I am done with modifications for now. Things done to the cabinet were:
1. Modified dolly and screwed it to the legs
2. Added new gun with better Venturi effect
3. Added foot valve
4. Added pressure regulator
5. Added 2 pretty powerful led lights
6. Added grounded electrical box with outlet and lights controlled by switch
7. Added dust shield with lip to door
8. Added dust shield around interior flange lip
9. Added two close-able vacuum ports
10. Added left baffle vent duct
11. Built/added gravity feed with valve
12. Flipped the machine screws that hold the glass
13. Flipped all hardware to avoid glove tears and spots for media to gather
14. Cut bottom grate down to 25” x 16” so it will sit lower and add room in blast chamber

Was more work than I thought it would be. Also fabbing all the chunks and bits myself added a fair bit of time. If anyone is interested, the total cost for entire cabinet and parts was around 260. That said I had a fair bit of pipe fittings, the valve, hardware, and some electrical stuff laying around for this that would have added probably 30 bucks to the project.

Anyway - done for now. I will post pics once I start blasting my door/hood/barn door hinges.

Did a similar setup on my HF cabinet. Works so much better! Well worth the effort and cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom