What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (62 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Red & Green look good together! 🎅🏻
Yep - for both red and green chile on your dish at the restaurant you order it "Christmas".

1575639921594.png

When I returned home, there was a package from @Fourrunner waiting for me (Heavy Duty Battery Cables). So out with old:
View attachment 2147037
In with the new:
View attachment 2147038
I didn’t realize how bad some of the grounds were, this was mostly a preventive replacement to begging with, turned out it was very much needed.
View attachment 2147039
Check your grounds!
View attachment 2147041
That ain’t no joke.

I got his kit a couple months ago and really like it.

VSjeUw2.jpg

@reddog90, I did see that you had installed that kit, one of just a few examples that I looked at before ordering mine. Your wiring is so much cleaner than mine. I'll be looking into cleaning my engine bay up a little more over the weekend.
Do you have a picture of where your battery negative wire is grounded too? I have mine grounded to the alternator bracket, that's where the one I replaced was grounded, so I just copied it.

@reddog90, I did see that you had installed that kit, one of just a few examples that I looked at before ordering mine. Your wiring is so much cleaner than mine. I'll be looking into cleaning my engine bay up a little more over the weekend.
Do you have a picture of where your battery negative wire is grounded too? I have mine grounded to the alternator bracket, that's where the one I replaced was grounded, so I just copied it.

I have a Feb. '76 and I'm 99% sure my battery ground is stock. I don't have a ground wire going from the battery directly to the alternator that I can see. Should I ? 😳

Battery negative to the outside frame rail, and outside frame rail to the motor mount bolt:

IMG_2152.JPG
IMG_2150.JPG

vpUd9Xh.jpg

It should go down to the side of the frame.

@Brian/99uzj100, I'm pretty sure that my ground is not in the stock location, however this is where someone decided to ground the battery. It has been this was for many years and I have not had any issue with it. I'll look tonight and if there is a bolt that I can use on the side of the frame, I will move the ground there. I will build a second ground cable and run it to my current location.
Good picture by the way.
Didn't realize there was also a ground going from the frame rail to the motor mount.

Got mine grounded in both places!
Also... if you happen to be a cheapskate or just want to diy (I’m a bit of both) you can get some heavy gauge welding cable and military terminals/covers and make ‘em
Good source: Battery connectors, lugs and terminals
1C927335-3E2E-44C9-86CC-D2C729BDB371.jpeg

*Better battery will be my next purchase!

@imyahucklbrry, I watched a youtube video on how to make your own battery cables. Looks real easy, was going to pick up some ring terminals later today. Figured I would cut and reuse the negative cable that I removed, but now I'm thinking I should just buy a new cable as well.
Also thinking I will cut down my winch (+/-)cables as they are longer than necessary and not sure I want a "service loop" in them. So I will start by making a new ground cable, see how it goes and move on the the winch power cables next.

Made myself a shirt!!! Used my pic of my 78 653.
Nothing better than 40's and Beer!!! Lol...

IMG_20191206_161234_885.jpg

Ones mans trash is another mans treasure. Rescued these Jeep half doors from the trash. Moved the pin a bit and look at that they fit. Made a quick latch from some flat stock and they are done. I’ll have them recovered in vinyl to match the seats.

View attachment 2150818

View attachment 2150819
Some of the coolest doors that I have seen were on a CJ5. They had a small plexiglass panel in the lower half to add to the view of the trail. Nice find.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom