What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (41 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That thing is a beast!! I had one. Definatly a work out!! Then we went to one of these. My teenage daughters can split with this one with ease now!

@fjdiesel - here's what you speak of :

aar.jpg

Danny, you lost the latch on the 1,895,537th rib of the 14th washboard on that road, it’s hard to see, maybe send it to the NSA for further analysis.

And the wood splitting of your younger years is pretty impressive!!!

Thanks Ryan! I'll go find it and get it in the classifieds.

My wood splitting is definitely legendary... Right up there with loading two-thousand 50lb pound bags of ammonium nitrate, per day, into crop dusters, during the longest summer of my 16 year old life... The same summer drive a tank truck and mixed Tepp ( Tetraethyl pyrophosphate - Wikipedia ) for the same crop dusting company... Until, the lead pilot got poisoned and almost died, while spraying Tepp.

"Not only is TEPP very toxic for humans, it is also highly toxic for warm-blooded animals. This includes direct contact and inhalation of the vapors.[16] There are three types of effects on these animals that have come forward during laboratory studies.​

• DERMAL: LD50 = 2.4 mg/kg (male rat)
  • ORAL: LD50 = 1.12 mg/kg (rat)[4]
Death is mostly due to either respiratory failure and in some cases cardiac arrest. The route of absorption might be responsible for the range of effect on certain systems.[17]".​

I also mixed and deployed parathion ( Parathion - Google Search ), malathion and practically every other delicious poison known to chemical warfare enthusiasts... All before my 17th birthday.

That explains my mental deficiencies, perhaps... my physical issues are partially attributable to the wear and tear of sitting and developing computer software for 43 years, coupled with:
  • unloading trucks of 100lb bags of potatoes, as a 13 year old, they were a hell of a lot bigger and heavier than me... Probably the cause of my spinal fusion.
  • Topping onion seeds and dragging them, in a cotton sack between my legs, in 120* heat, as a 14 year old... Arthritis in every joint.
  • Cleaning stockyards of manure, tossing shovelful, after shovelful, into dump trucks and enjoying all the manure dust you can eat, as a 15 year old.
  • The aforementioned splitting wood and loading crop dusters, at 16.
  • Pushing beaucoup wheelbarrows of stone and gravel, a la Cool Hand Luke, some where during my formative years. Surgery in both shoulders (AC joints) , for weight lifters shoulders, from the damage of the wheelbarrows.
I always felt OSHA was created on my back... But, I always continued enjoying manual labor more than cerebral... And still do.. It just hurts more now.

When I went to basic training, at 19, I was 5'6" and 129lbs... When I came out, I was still (surprise) 5'6" and weighed 154lbs.

The drill instructor quit trying to break me with push-ups, when he could never find my maximum.

The chow hall Sargent quit trying to fill me up, when he learned I had never eaten so well.

No brag, just fact... I earned every ache and pain I've since endured and loved every minute of every bit of it.

Everyone should enjoy the opportunity and experience of serving our country... Everyone should experience manual labor. Both contribute mightily to gaining insight into the trials and tribulations of others... Both build character and both knock the s*** out of the scourge of entitlement and the incessant whining of all those who never a character built.

:cheers:

Thanks Ryan! I'll go find it and get it in the classifieds.

My wood splitting is definitely legendary... Right up there with loading two-thousand 50lb pound bags of ammonium nitrate, per day, into crop dusters, during the longest summer of my 16 year old life... The same summer drive a tank truck and mixed Tepp ( Tetraethyl pyrophosphate - Wikipedia ) for the same crop dusting company... Until, the lead pilot got poisoned and almost died, while spraying Tepp.

"Not only is TEPP very toxic for humans, it is also highly toxic for warm-blooded animals. This includes direct contact and inhalation of the vapors.[16] There are three types of effects on these animals that have come forward during laboratory studies.​

• DERMAL: LD50 = 2.4 mg/kg (male rat)
  • ORAL: LD50 = 1.12 mg/kg (rat)[4]
Death is mostly due to either respiratory failure and in some cases cardiac arrest. The route of absorption might be responsible for the range of effect on certain systems.[17]".​

I also mixed and deployed parathion ( Parathion - Google Search ), malathion and practically every other delicious poison known to chemical warfare enthusiasts... All before my 17th birthday.

That explains my mental deficiencies, perhaps... my physical issues are partially attributable to the wear and tear of sitting and developing computer software for 43 years, coupled with:
  • unloading trucks of 100lb bags of potatoes, as a 13 year old, they were a hell of a lot bigger and heavier than me... Probably the cause of my spinal fusion.
  • Topping onion seeds and dragging them, in a cotton sack between my legs, in 120* heat, as a 14 year old... Arthritis in every joint.
  • Cleaning stockyards of manure, tossing shovelful, after shovelful, into dump trucks and enjoying all the manure dust you can eat, as a 15 year old.
  • The aforementioned splitting wood and loading crop dusters, at 16.
  • Pushing beaucoup wheelbarrows of stone and gravel, a la Cool Hand Luke, some where during my formative years. Surgery in both shoulders (AC joints) , for weight lifters shoulders, from the damage of the wheelbarrows.
I always felt OSHA was created on my back... But, I always continued enjoying manual labor more than cerebral... And still do.. It just hurts more now.

When I went to basic training, at 19, I was 5'6" and 129lbs... When I came out, I was still (surprise) 5'6" and weighed 154lbs.

The drill instructor quit trying to break me with push-ups, when he could never find my maximum.

The chow hall Sargent quit trying to fill me up, when he learned I had never eaten so well.

No brag, just fact... I earned every ache and pain I've since endured and loved every minute of every bit of it.

Everyone should enjoy the opportunity and experience of serving our country... Everyone should experience manual labor. Both contribute mightily to gaining insight into the trials and tribulations of others... Both build character and both knock the s*** out of the scourge of entitlement and the incessant whining of all those who never a character built.

:cheers:
You sound like one tough dude, and I am saying that with respect.
Luckily I never developed a work ethic.
I saw my dad break his back for someone else and made up my mind that I wasn't going to do it.
Not that I haven't put in a few hard days work but did my best to keep it at a few.
Got my draft notice just shy of one year after graduating from high school so when down to the navy recruiter and signed up.
I never was into sports but did do a lot of surfing. Wasn't a real good surfer but did become a good swimmer.
I was 5' 10" and weighed in at 175 when I went into boot.
Excelled in the first physical evaluation and was admonished not improving after the second one just before the end of boot camp.
All the other guys were not in as good shape so it made me look good the first time around but after marching around they improved but navy boot was more like a summer camp to me so I wound up gaining 15 pounds and got even lazier than usual.
The military only confirmed my resolve to be my own man.

;)

Well, it sounds like you got more out of it than you realized!!
To paraphrase a famous book, "It was best of times, it was the worst of times."
I do realize some good things I got from my stint in the navy as I have come to realize that there can be positive results from just about everything if given some serious reflection.

I was just getting into my rant when I had to break it off to make run to the post office.
That is another post in it's self.

I was going to mention the largest amount of wood I, with the help of my son ever split.
I started seriously cutting firewood in 1980 when I built a geodesic dome house and began my ten year adventure of living off the grid.
On more than one occasion did cut and split a cord by my self but the most I ever split was after a big ice storm about eight years ago.
There were a lot of big trees that came down on the north end of my land.
Most were about 12"dia but three were almost 36"dia.
Admittedly my son did most of the cutting after I used the cruiser to pull the trees to the creek where with the aid of a gas powered splitter we did 7 1/2 cords in seven hours.
Some of that stuff would have taken the better part of a day to split by hand.

Speaking of fj40's, I just this morning got the hydraulic ( I think I have finally learned how to spell that word) clutch system back back in after pulling and rebuilding it.

While under the Toy I told myself for at least the hundredth time I gotta pull the trans and transfer to address the leaks.

When I do I want to get a pressure plate that has a shorter travel for release.
I have been trying to find where to find one and also a constant contact throw out bearing.

Anyone know about those things?

To paraphrase a famous book, "It was best of times, it was the worst of times."
I do realize some good things I got from my stint in the navy as I have come to realize that there can be positive results from just about everything if given some serious reflection.

I was just getting into my rant when I had to break it off to make run to the post office.
That is another post in it's self.

I was going to mention the largest amount of wood I, with the help of my son ever split.
I started seriously cutting firewood in 1980 when I built a geodesic dome house and began my ten year adventure of living off the grid.
On more than one occasion did cut and split a cord by my self but the most I ever split was after a big ice storm about eight years ago.
There were a lot of big trees that came down on the north end of my land.
Most were about 12"dia but three were almost 36"dia.
Admittedly my son did most of the cutting after I used the cruiser to pull the trees to the creek where with the aid of a gas powered splitter we did 7 1/2 cords in seven hours.
Some of that stuff would have taken the better part of a day to split by hand.

Speaking of fj40's, I just this morning got the hydraulic ( I think I have finally learned how to spell that word) clutch system back back in after pulling and rebuilding it.

While under the Toy I told myself for at least the hundredth time I gotta pull the trans and transfer to address the leaks.

When I do I want to get a pressure plate that has a shorter travel for release.
I have been trying to find where to find one and also a constant contact throw out bearing.

Anyone know about those things?

Not me!! I figure stuff out, when it comes to matter to me most... else I forget it anyway.

I’m sure there are some who will have insights to offer.

I received a nice washer bottle mounting bracket for my 40 yesterday, thanks @fjdiesel for the awesomeness!!
8C63AE76-DCEF-49F9-BF4D-DF45EB6384B8.jpeg
B690BC99-E0F8-4518-94EA-CC1E9EF09243.jpeg
5F4034D1-E60E-4F25-8A43-8B36F8498B82.jpeg

If anyone needs a 73 bracket hit me up!

replaced the steering rack and TRE's in our 99 UZJ100 with OEM parts

Edit: I Apologize for posting on wrong thread !:bang:

I didn’t think about “wrong thread” until you mentioned it.

I just figgered you sat in your 40 and planned your work.

That’s how the boys and I roll. :steer:

Used mine for a beer coaster today.

That’s all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom