What have you done to your Land Cruiser this week? (28 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Found this buried in the back of my in-laws garage. Gonna detail it up and help them sell. And yes they have the Bezal upside down. I'll fix LOL
They are 2nd owners, they had Roll cage installed and the restored floor is rhino lined for protection. They drove it over this morning. Send new pics tomorrow during cleaning for opinion. Thx

IMG_1443.JPG

IMG_1445.JPG

IMG_1449.JPG

IMG_1451.JPG

Today I finished connecting ccot fuel tank. I ran a prefilter before stock filter just in case I didn't get everything cleaned out but looks like I did a good job pre cleaning tank.
Installed charcoal canister and venting lines. I need to double check on where to dump fumes. I think I will drill a connector to back of air cleaner, not sure if that's right need to research. Ran the coolant through heater hoses.. no leaks!! Wohoo!! Front heater works fine. Although rear heater wouldn't turn on. Hmmm it was working when I rebuilt it. Maybe the switch. Need to check what's up.
Also changed gauge cluster lights out to led. Man they are great!! Can't wait to see at night. Rattle canned a few small parts to brighten things up. I'll probably redo those down the line, but for now they will do.

Last edited:
Today I finished connecting ccot fuel tank. I ran a prefilter before stock filter just in case I didn't get everything cleaned out but looks like I did a good job pre cleaning tank.
Installed charcoal canister and venting lines. I need to double check on where to dump fumes. I think I will drill a connector to back of air cleaner, not sure if that's right need to research. Ran the coolant through heater hoses.. no leaks!! Wohoo!! Front heater works fine. Although rear heater wouldn't turn on. Hmmm it was working when I rebuilt it. Maybe the switch. Need to check what's up.
Also changed gauge cluster lights out to led. Man they are great!! Can't wait to see at night. Rattle canned a few small parts to brighten things up. I'll probably redo those down the line, but for now they will do.

For the rear Heater, clean the surfaces at the mounting bolts so that it's well grounded to the chassis. IIRC that fixed the same issue on my 40.

For the rear Heater, clean the surfaces at the mounting bolts so that it's well grounded to the chassis. IIRC that fixed the same issue on my 40.
Thanks that must be it since whole heater case is powder coated. Thanks!!

got the 2 45's out next to each other after finally getting the 2F going again. just in time for me to take my 45 off the road to get some new seals in the transfer box
IMG_0360[1].JPG

I can say for 100% sure that my wife does not like my 40. She complains I spend to much time and money on it and will not ride in it at all, says it is to hard to get into.

I think my wife actually likes the old 40 she is the one that wanted it painted and new seats and other good stuff. But she still doesn't like to ride in it says now I need to put A/C in it I beginning to think she just likes me out of the house umm that's not really a bad thing
JP

Yesterday my wife and I were talking about taking another trip out to our place in Nevada with the '09 Silverado, and I mentioned to her I'd really like to bring the '71 FJ40 back here to New Mexico to do some of the upgrades I recently finished on my '76 FJ40. She thought that would be a great idea. Our youngest son and daughter-in-law will be moving up to Santa Fe soon, so I mentioned it would be fun for them to tag along with us on some local 4-wheeling in the FJ40s. Well, she said "What about some drives up to Colorado in the two FJ40s?" Oh yeah!

Yesterday my wife and I were talking about taking another trip out to our place in Nevada with the '09 Silverado, and I mentioned to her I'd really like to bring the '71 FJ40 back here to New Mexico to do some of the upgrades I recently finished on my '76 FJ40. She thought that would be a great idea. Our youngest son and daughter-in-law will be moving up to Santa Fe soon, so I mentioned it would be fun for them to tag along with us on some local 4-wheeling in the FJ40s. Well, she said "What about some drives up to Colorado in the two FJ40s?" Oh yeah!

That lady is a keeper!

I think my wife actually likes the old 40 she is the one that wanted it painted and new seats and other good stuff. But she still doesn't like to ride in it says now I need to put A/C in it I beginning to think she just likes me out of the house umm that's not really a bad thing
JP

Since she doesn't especially like to ride in the 40, that gives me a good excuse to get out of the house for an hour or so.

Oh yea, when it gets back she'll be all about getting it finished. Just been spending a lot of time on it, probably feels a little left out. Now that its gone for a bit I can make it up to her. She has actually been really good about it all. Oh and love that shirt @fjgoober

Wrapped up the venting system for the FJ60 distributor I recently installed:

Distributor-Venting-2.jpg

Distributor-Venting-3.jpg

Distributor-Venting-4.jpg

Distributor-Venting-5.jpg

The VCV was scavenged from my '86 FJ60 (which is getting a 3FE) and the cabin air filter was scavenged from my '89 FJ62 (donor vehicle for the '86 FJ60). The larger diameter hoses are Prestone windshield washer and radiator overflow lines from O-Reilly's. I already had the vacuum hose for the VCV, and I'm glad the intake manifold gas filter had an available nipple. I'll do the same later this year for my '71 FJ40 with '76 2F.

Last edited:
Think the wife is glad she's gone for a bit, might be a tad jealous lol.

I can say for 100% sure that my wife does not like my 40. She complains I spend to much time and money on it and will not ride in it at all, says it is to hard to get into.

Gator, You need to get her this shirt.....View attachment 1507591

JP

That lady is a keeper!

Since she doesn't especially like to ride in the 40, that gives me a good excuse to get out of the house for an hour or so.

When I bought my 40, I still lived with my parents. My girlfriend let me stash it in her garage for a few months while I got it running so my parents wouldn't find out I bought it. (I was supposed to be saving for a house, but...priorities...:meh:).

When I finally drove it over to my parents, I was actually shocked by who said what..

My mom: Oh, it's so CUTE! I love it!
My dad (coming home from work a few minutes later): "I see there's a piece of sh*t in the driveway - I'm assuming you have something to do with it..."

Needless to say I married my girlfriend - her dad and grandfather were both "car guys" so she's used to the lifestyle. She doesn't love the FJ40, but she accepts it and sees the "cool factor." I even got her to help pull the engine ;)

Dianna prefers not to go bouncing down a 2-track or gluiding down a paved road.

She says we have the truck and trailer for OUR trips, 44 is for Chester and me... as is sleeping in 44 or on the ground.

I've spoken to Chester and we can both
live with that!!

It also allows us to leave the passenger seat back out and our beds made. For quicker getaways!!

JP

Dianna is very upfront about a retired couple should spend ample time apart.

After 47+ years married, she seems to be valuing her time alone more and more.

She wants me to be out enjoying Chester and the great outdoors. But, when 44 needs care, or it's simply too hot to explore, she seems equally at ease when I'm in the garage...

If y'all don't know it, the Kate, great Leonard Cohen said,

"You know I was talking with some of the guys
Some of the guys in this band are kind of You know over the hill.
And they were talking about the
Various stages that a man goes through
In relation to his allure to the opposite sex
It was not a scientific evaluation
Just something that arose over a cup of coffee.

It went something like this:

You start off irresistible
And, then you become resistible
And then you become transparent
Not exactly invisible but as if you are seen through old plastic.
Then you actually do become invisible
And then, and this is the most amazing transformation, You become repulsive.

But that’s not, that’s not the end of the story.
After repulsive then you become cute
And that’s where I am.".

Unfortunately, I got stuck in invisible for a couple of years and, now, I've been repulsive for about years.

I'm hoping to evolve to cute one day, but am beginning to think it unachievable.

With my trustful companion, who loves in the face consultations I got the front and rear differentials overhauled, cleaned and painted. Had a real fiasco with front brake rotors for the 78 FJ40, Autozone is selling FJ60 rotors for FJ40, one vendor here on mud is selling rotors with no manufacturers or warranty info for $112 eacho_O and you don't know if they are $29 C-Techs or $79 Mountains?
The donor frame needs some attention. The tube cross member has to be removed and the 78 cross member installed, will be fitting a plate on both ends and bolting it to the rails, the radiator housing mounting bracket holes will have to be relocated and a plate welded on the front left end rail for the steering dampner. I installed the new 61013 oil pan using the old style one piece 61010 gasket, it fit very well and seemed to seal with 7 ft lbs of torque to the mounting bolts, also installed a new rear main seal and could not believe what the old one looked like:eek: I had been losing oil but never saw that much leaking under the bell housing, I would recommend to anyone changing out the rear main seal to bite the bullet and change the oil pan gasket as well; I think the only way to change the RMS is to take off number 4 bearing cap and placing it in instead of using a driver. It's nearing the time to put the engine back in, a turning point.....my buddy just told me it's time to take a break and play some ball:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom