What have you done to your 4x4 lately 2020? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blew up my 1FZ-FE.

33AC9102-4FC6-4051-BED1-8C339078168D.jpeg
28BA6831-43CB-4304-BD7F-07ACFA1F7A6A.jpeg
A215988B-218B-41F0-B666-AD55C066D34C.jpeg

Last edited:
What happened man!?
On the way back from the Arizona Peace Trail trip we got all the way to Joplin and I believe it blew a rod. Sounds like a box of rocks being shook when you crank it over. The only warning right before it went was about 5 seconds of tapping. It was quick.

On the way back from the Arizona Peace Trail trip we got all the way to Joplin and I believe it blew a rod. Sounds like a box of rocks being shook when you crank it over. The only warning right before it went was about 5 seconds of tapping. It was quick.

At least you made it back to Joplin before it blew - silver lining anyway. How many miles were on the engine at the time you threw a rod?

Jack

Looks like your on step 2

At least you made it back to Joplin before it blew - silver lining anyway. How many miles were on the engine at the time you threw a rod?

Jack

And you just dried all the water out of it - what a rough trip. Sending good vibes your way
It was a little more than just drying it out. The factory alarm had to be removed, fluids changed, 4 gallons of water drained from the fuel tank, and all the relays cleaned out to get it to start.
No fun. 2uz swap... I have everything you need.
I’m really torn right now, I’ve been offed a 5 digit figure for the truck as it current sits.

Well that’s sounds like a start over offer. But really I’ve been there. You start thinking about what you would turn around and have to buy. Tough decisions.

edit: what’s the back story. Got it deep. Is there a tread?

Well that’s sounds like a start over offer. But really I’ve been there. You start thinking about what you would turn around and have to buy. Tough decisions.

edit: what’s the back story. Got it deep. Is there a tread?
So during the river crossing it was all good until I got back to the bank, than she dug in instead of climbing. The bank area was all sand and it just washed away under the truck. The snorkel worked as advertised, no water in the distributor. It took a bunch through the fuel tank breather/overflow. As soon as the motor started to sputter I turned the truck off.
We winched it out, drained all the fluids and dried it out. There was some water that came in through the dip stick tube, but not a lot and the oil was flushed before we tried to start it again. I’m wondering if some silt/sediment also got it.

True, I have a lot of money into this truck. And starting over would sting the wallet. I’ve been driving an 80 series for over 10 years and the current build is not really best for living in the Midwest. To rebuild the motor, change out the suspension again, new tires.... I’d be over another 10G’s investment.
The truck is in too good of shape to make a crawler out of and the wife and I are looking to do more overlanding than hardcore. So maybe it’s best to let her go to someone that can appreciate her the ways she is; the truck not the wife ;).

I don’t want to derail this thread too much. There’s some pictures in my build thread and more pics and videos on my Instagram (just typing that made me feel dirty), both in my signature.

So during the river crossing it was all good until I got back to the bank, than she dug in instead of climbing. The bank area was all sand and it just washed away under the truck. The snorkel worked as advertised, no water in the distributor. It took a bunch through the fuel tank breather/overflow. As soon as the motor started to sputter I turned the truck off.
We winched it out, drained all the fluids and dried it out. There was some water that came in through the dip stick tube, but not a lot and the oil was flushed before we tried to start it again. I’m wondering if some silt/sediment also got it.

True, I have a lot of money into this truck. And starting over would sting the wallet. I’ve been driving an 80 series for over 10 years and the current build is not really best for living in the Midwest. To rebuild the motor, change out the suspension again, new tires.... I’d be over another 10G’s investment.
The truck is in too good of shape to make a crawler out of and the wife and I are looking to do more overlanding than hardcore. So maybe it’s best to let her go to someone that can appreciate her the ways she is; the truck not the wife ;).

I don’t want to derail this thread too much. There’s some pictures in my build thread and more pics and videos on my Instagram (just typing that made me feel dirty), both in my signature.

That truck would be a beast with an LS swap.....

a ‘91 cruiser showed up at the Springfield PNP Christmas week - I had to pass through there so stopped and picked up some small pieces.

A4BCD2C6-6865-4BDE-B871-2F1962329BB2.jpeg

Almost finished with the water to air intercooler install. It’s from China so some assembly (tweaking) required. The heat exchanger didn’t have mounts so I had to fab some up. I also have an Oem condenser fan that will be installed on the passenger (left) side, and installed the heat exchanger and fan on the right. Need to get the wiring finished for the pump and fan, add coolant, and start tuning the new turbo.

3EA58903-A464-4CEC-A791-6A69DA5E0C0D.jpeg
003BE234-414C-4C48-A467-9A9546F88307.jpeg
CCC25C8C-470E-4364-A466-07A008F864DA.jpeg
DE75547E-495E-4FCE-9E7A-08126C822AA4.jpeg

Last edited:
Was able to get a few things accomplished over the weekend. Drilled a large hole in my fender, finished up my pyrometer/boost gauge combo but the pyrometer stopped working - have talked with ISSPRO about it and have another part on the way. Also finished up the water to air intercooler.
5A91D0AD-B498-4BBD-AE20-F17FC62DA77A.jpeg
5F327DE4-64C6-49AB-8C13-AE3AED49F708.jpeg
13E0F62D-CFC1-47D7-B7AA-A544384E6AE1.jpeg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom