What have i done lol (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thanks for the add, just took possession of a 1973 FJ40 which I found in a barn after sitting four 20+ years. Body and frame was in remarkable shape at first glances. The original gas motor was replaced with a 3b first gen cooled with a 4spd. Looking to restore it and hopefully can lean on you folks for some solid go to's. Motor has been started and gear boxes look to be rebuilt prior to sitting since no wear on the primary gear due to shifting into rev. After closer examination the body was rebuilt along with floors but unfortunately not to top standards since floor pans are only flat stock and plenty of bondo on solid metal. First question would be do I abandon the body for fibre glass replacement or order replacement panels? Know this is a heavy first post but am stoked to own a bucket list vehicle if mine.
20200920_131121.jpg
20200920_134838.jpg
20200921_190821.jpg
20200921_190801.jpg
20200921_190807.jpg

Your in Canada. Get an Aqualu tub.

Nice score!

Your in Canada. Get an Aqualu tub.
Am looking into them and Gozzard Composites. Aqualu does state that there parts are only for offroad use, any ideas other than liability?
Thoughts on Glass is no reoccurring rusting body panels over oxidizing panels with aluminum and the road salt.

Rest of body looks okay in the pictures — are the floors that bad that they can’t be fixed with new metal pans?

Maybe get it running and drive it before a tub replacement. I promised myself 5,000 miles of driving before I take on any work that will keep the FJ40 off the road.

My truck has spent too many hours not operational because I am taking it apart again. Good luck with the build.

I would fix it and drive it also. Don’t get to crazy at first clean her up and drive it like said above. It will cost you a small fortune to restore it in Canada. Lol where are u located? Drive it and fix all the small stuff first then think about the body gozzard stuff nice. So is aqualu. Canadian myself. 😀

Would be curious what the offset is on the rim I see you installed on the right front? Plus what wheel spacer your using? Just installed a set on my 73 that was taken off the road in 1988.
IMG_20200920_144424696_HDR.jpg

Rims I installed were from a 91/92 FJ80 marked offset 10. Also have rims from 4Runner/mini truck marked offset 8 and some with no offset marked on them. Have a 1" spacer on the front and none on the back. Have a 1" on the spare tire carrier but could probably get away with a smaller one. Like these wheels because this are the closest period correct Toyota aluminum rims for the 40 series.

I would fix it and drive it also. Don’t get to crazy at first clean her up and drive it like said above. It will cost you a small fortune to restore it in Canada. Lol where are u located? Drive it and fix all the small stuff first then think about the body gozzard stuff nice. So is aqualu. Canadian myself. 😀
London Ontario

Would be curious what the offset is on the rim I see you installed on the right front? Plus what wheel spacer your using? Just installed a set on my 73 that was taken off the road in 1988.
View attachment 2443858
Rims I installed were from a 91/92 FJ80 marked offset 10. Also have rims from 4Runner/mini truck marked offset 8 and some with no offset marked on them. Have a 1" spacer on the front and none on the back. Have a 1" on the spare tire carrier but could probably get away with a smaller one. Like these wheels because this are the closest period correct Toyota aluminum rims for the 40 series.

Love them also, offset 8
20200808_141238.jpg

Have a line on a new extended range tank that fits under the front seats. Existing tank looks fine but like the idea of the 28gal capacity. Thoughts from experience

Nice ride!

Not sure about the tank. Mine is a 22 gallon that is under the rear similar to this one:

If you go about replacing the steel pans in the tub vice a full aluminum tub, you may want to check out Real Steel Cruiser Parts. You can rebuild lots of the tub and the parts are fair priced.

Enjoy the LC!

Have a line on a new extended range tank that fits under the front seats. Existing tank looks fine but like the idea of the 28gal capacity. Thoughts from experience

Have no personal experience but had a friend with a under both seats aftermarket gas tank. His biggest complaint was the lack of baffles and gas slushing around.

From a previous post, what spacer did you need to run the Toyota aluminum rim on the front? Clearance on might a 8 offset may work with my 1" specer but doubt the rim with no marked offset would. Still hot in Arizona (100° Fahrenheit plus) but once it cools off will check out the other rims.

Have no personal experience but had a friend with a under both seats aftermarket gas tank. His biggest complaint was the lack of baffles and gas slushing around.

From a previous post, what spacer did you need to run the Toyota aluminum rim on the front? Clearance on might a 8 offset may work with my 1" specer but doubt the rim with no marked offset would. Still hot in Arizona (100° Fahrenheit plus) but once it cools off will check out the other rims.
No spacer used

20200927_182334.jpg
20200927_182359.jpg
20200927_182322.jpg
20200927_182328.jpg

Tear down started, disappointed in body. New steel was used in previous rebuild but along with heavy use of bondo everywhere. Did find a used fiberglass body cheap locally so I jumped on it. Frame goes for blasting this week and i did all the doors this weekend and was impressed with them.

Looks great. You're going to need a lot of misc parts, I would suggest picking up a donor truck for your rebuild.

I have bins of parts for multiple 1975+ trucks here in Toronto, let me know what you need when the time comes and I will try to help out.

Cheers
Adam

Looks great. You're going to need a lot of misc parts, I would suggest picking up a donor truck for your rebuild.

I have bins of parts for multiple 1975+ trucks here in Toronto, let me know what you need when the time comes and I will try to help out.

Cheers
Adam
Appreciate the assistance, and definitely always a need to get list when tackling a build like this.

Engine identification for 3b, any help would be appreciated as this is a transplant motor.
20201012_122623.jpg
20201012_123847.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom