What has happened here-brake rotor issue (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Pura Vida

What an absolute noob
Threads
So I’m mounting my new brakes on the front hub, and the rotor is missing two holes where the hub is supposed to be secured. I ordered the rotors from my Toyota dealer as 1977 fj40 rotors, but the look wrong. Are these not 1977 hubs or rotors? What should I order to fix this issue?

The rusty and bad one are the old ones with the correct holes, shiny are new ones with wrong holes

F57A8F0E-9CF2-4415-AAB3-6B4BC72FF289.jpeg

3D4804FE-804C-4F99-B4F7-7B6848264E5A.jpeg

You don’t need those holes. Or if you want, drill them. That what I did.

You don’t need those holes. Or if you want, drill them. That what I did.
So I am okay with running it with only the lugs? I was a little hesitant because I figured the 2 other bolds held the hub and rotor together

Your lug nuts hold the rotor on. When putting them on I just run 2 lug nuts finger tight to hold the rotor inplace while I bolt up the caliper. Then remove the lug nuts and put your wheel and lug nuts back on.

Late to the party here, but like others have said you don't technically need them. They are a bit of relic tech from old drum brakes where you would want the drum up and in place when adjusting the brakes with the wheel off.

At least that's what I used them for back in the day when replacing drum brakes. Much easier to adjust with the wheel off. They don't make much sense for disc brakes except for maybe bleeding the lines and you want the rotor straight but that's a meh.

Yeah, the holes were drilled too small, so so I took it to someone in my club with a bunch of tools, and got it drilled out to the right width, got the lugs pressed, and got the hub connected to the rotor there. It was very helpful. Seems like he knows what he is doing, he has a 1984 FJ60 with a twin turbo 4BT Cummins in it, sitting on 42s. It’s pretty cool, and he is super helpful in the cruiser club

I believe those are the later rotors that get the studs presses in and mount on the back of the hub. Yours mount to the front of the hub with two bolts. I ended up getting mine from jtoutfiters, pn 4351260011. They are tough to deal with though.

I believe those are the later rotors that get the studs presses in and mount on the back of the hub. Yours mount to the front of the hub with two bolts. I ended up getting mine from jtoutfiters, pn 4351260011. They are tough to deal with though.

Interesting info.

And yeah, jtoutfiters, though I haven't dealt with them, seems to have a bad rep.

This is where I am currently. I’m making a gasket for my AVM hub lockers.

03B7C882-4121-4E48-B837-686C21228A6E.jpeg

You're going to shine those up a bit aren't you?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom