What happened to the fan/blower motor? Please help! My mom broke it again! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone,
My mom took my 87 fj60 to the store this afternoon (her car is having AC work Done) and she had the AC on. She went into the store, shopped came out and started the truck. When she turned the AC on, there was no fan/blower at all. She just got home now and the blower does nothing at all. When you turn the blower on, the blue AC ligh comes on, but no blower at all. So where do I start? I checked the fuses, they all look good. What else should I check? I need AC badly. I am somewhat PO, because the last time she drove the 60, the next day I got in it and the synchro was bad in 3rd gear. How the hell does a synchro go bad overnight? She is murder on the 60

Thanks,
Zack

Try whapping the bottom of the blower motor housing and see if it starts spinning again (with the power on, of course) - if it does, the brushes are bad in the motor. Contact cruiserparts.net and get you a new one for $40 and replace.

There's been a run this summer of bad blower motors - which is odd - so that'd be my guess.

It pays to check the blower motor occasionally (for everyone).

My blower motor stopped working. When I pulled it out I found that the brushes had worn down so much that they had worn into the commutator. This required a rebuild/replacement of the guts of the motor. If I had kept a check on the brushes I could have replaced them before they damaged the other parts.

So swank60 has given you good advice.

I think that your mum might just be unlucky to have been in the car both times that a fault has occured!

not to sound stupid, but I will, where exactly is the blower motor? I know that it is under the dash, but where and on what side? And Swank, just hit it a few times?

Zack

passanger side up by the firewall, look for the thing that looks like a motor ;) if you were sitting in the pass seat, and you took your left foot and kicked the firewall......thats about where it is.

I can wack it from the driverseat.....if that helps.......Oh........that doesn't sound right :D

Zack1978 said:
not to sound stupid, but I will, where exactly is the blower motor? I know that it is under the dash, but where and on what side? And Swank, just hit it a few times?

Zack

Hey everyone,
Well thanks to everyone, I think that the blower motor itself is bad. I took Swank's advice, and I whacked the blower housing a few times, and the blower started right up! So now the question is, how do I replace the motor? Is it a difficult job? What are the steps inv? Would it just be eaiser to get a new one from Toyota?

Thanks,
Zack

It's painfully easy. You'll need a phillips screwdriver - and that's it. There are three large screws facing straight up - unscrew those, unhook the electrical connection and the exhaust hose. It's that easy. Replacement is the reverse of the extraction. :D

And Rod's right - like everything else on these trucks, they're easily maintained and the brushes easily replaced. Mine wore down to the communicator as well, so I replaced it with a used one from cruiserparts. Once the weather gets more reasonable here, I'll pull it and check the brushes - if they're worn, I'll replace them (or take them to an electric motor rebuilder).

Pimp whacks it from the drivers seat...hehehe... :D

swank60 said:
I

Hope he has a seat cover...and dark window tint...oh wait, this might be OK in mason county...

swank60 said:
It's painfully easy. You'll need a phillips screwdriver - and that's it. There are three large screws facing straight up - unscrew those, unhook the electrical connection and the exhaust hose. It's that easy. Replacement is the reverse of the extraction. :D

And Rod's right - like everything else on these trucks, they're easily maintained and the brushes easily replaced. Mine wore down to the communicator as well, so I replaced it with a used one from cruiserparts. Once the weather gets more reasonable here, I'll pull it and check the brushes - if they're worn, I'll replace them (or take them to an electric motor rebuilder).

i had to replae my entire motor ( dealer was about 90 bucks) because i took out the brushes, and ..BING!...accross the driveway they went, never to be seen again.
hammer

I just ordered the motor from Toyota for $78.00. It should be in by Friday.

Zack

RoddQLD said:
It pays to check the blower motor occasionally (for everyone).

My blower motor stopped working. When I pulled it out I found that the brushes had worn down so much that they had worn into the commutator. This required a rebuild/replacement of the guts of the motor. If I had kept a check on the brushes I could have replaced them before they damaged the other parts.

So swank60 has given you good advice.

I think that your mum might just be unlucky to have been in the car both times that a fault has occured!

I've never had good luck with replacing the brushes in those motors. It always makes an annoying WHIRRRRR when I do it. I must've tried it about four times in my factory motor and finally just gave up and bought a new one. New one was a LOT more powerful than the one I replaced the brushes on too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom