what happened to SOR forum? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

it was'nt the most active place on the net and i doubt it was making them any money,,,,,,,,,,but in reallity i don't know.

i rarly went there and i can't even remeber if i ever posted there. so it's no skin off my back.

it's ALOT more active here anyway.

they said its because theyre putting up a new site and wont have the resources to handle the forum.
the 80's series was pretty active, about the same as this site was before if not more so.

Actually Brian, I posted over 400+ times in the last 3 months there, the 80 series forum there was by far the most active, there were normally 30 or so active topics daily. The 40 series was second most, it had approx 5 active topics a day. There was a lot of good advice on that page, I managed to save the entire 40 series board. We are not sure why SOR closed the board, probably a CBA (cost-benefit analysis), caused them to realize they probably weren't getting much buisness, comparative to how much it cost to keep the forum up. This one is historically more active in terms of 40 series it seems. The only advantage I have seen so far to the SOR forum is that it was faster and crashed less. I think it should be mutually beneficial to both former SOR, and ih8mud users to be on the same site. Lookin forward to a long time here with all of you guys! :D

just kinda defending the site here....it was a coincidence that when you guys came that it started having problems. the only time i can remember this board having problems was
1. when offroadhq hosted it and the power went out there
and 2. when woody switched to birfield.com.

overall this site has been very reliable and never crashes for me.

I guess we jinxed the site up or something.  It hasn't been crashing for me, it just gets extremely sluggish (its not me I have 1.5mbps dsl).  Oh well I can deal so long as Woody doesn't have some Cost-Benefit BS like Sor did. ;)
EDIT: Sorry, it is me, I just got on one of the hardwired computers at my house and it is MUCH faster than my laptop thats on the wireless network. Sorry, it was me :-[. :D

I was a regular visitor of SOR's forum and liked it. Made it to a full member instead of 'junior' or 'rookie'. But IHMUD looks good too. Nice to see you again Bailey.
Ton

So, did most of the folks from SOR make it over here or are they on other sites? what are other good boards to check....

i made it here from sor.com. this place is great. i did like the split in cruiser tech. as an example it would be cool if fj-60's and 62's had their own section like the 80's and 100's do. but its all good.

So how do i search the old SOR archives from Ih8mud? By the way I am really glad I found this place....

chaka, try using cruizers.com and slowspeed.com. Even though slowspeed doesn't have too much activity, their technical pages are great.Especially great if you're a do-it-yourselfer on a 60 series and other wagons.

So how do i search the old SOR archives from Ih8mud?  By the way I am really glad I found this place....

I've got the old SOR forum information - it was sent to me....however, I have not had time to figger out how to load it up...all I received was the copy of what was online and NOT the original forum installation information...

Frankly, for the 40-55-60 series stuff there was a LOT of cross posting of information and questions...I'd be surprised if there was a large amount of new information. (The 80-series tech is an exception, but a few of that gang took the time to archive some key information)

Oh well I can deal so long as Woody doesn't have some Cost-Benefit BS like Sor did. ;)
So if Woody looks at what it's costing him to run this site and decides he's taking it in the shorts, he should just keep taking it because why? Oh, because it's BS to stop digging when you're in a hole. I get it. ???

Actually, the paypal donation jobbie you see supports birfield.com, which is the host server under which the LCML, TLCA, IH8MUD, and some scattered others are hosted. IH8MUD.com pays no hosting fee, which is why the "donate" button is on the pages.

My gross income from IH8MUD.com thus far has been some VERY appreciated free parts and IIRC I profit about 25 cents on every sticker sold.

I'm working (someday) on hats, shirts, and new stickers based on the new site logo, and I fully intend to profit between 25 cents and 50 cents on each of those. (greedy bugger, ain't I?)

Given past sticker sales, I think I've taken in $20 thus far....

I wouldn't continue to do this if it wasn't fun....and frankly, the assistance of those who contribute links for the tech section and help with forum moderation have made my maintenance of the site downright simple...

Don't worry....I still pull off quite a bit of shop time and trail time... (warning in advance...10 day vacation pending to Slade and Tellico!! wanna place bets on which day the board crashes? lol)

My god Woody you have made 20$ off the stickers what are you going to do with all that profit,oh thats right gas for the cruiser that should be good for about a tank. :G :G :G :.Now I hope everyone relizes how hard he works on this forum to keep it going for everyone to use and talk about there ideas on cruisers

:beer:i think this is a better site than sor.seems a little more friendly too,and way more fun,i come here everyday.i also floss twice daily.

thanks alot woody for your sacrifice. you've done a wonderful service to the LC community :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: :bow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom