What happened to my 4WD? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ive been working on my 87 FJ60 for the last couple years. De rusted, rebuilt the carb, desmogged, replaced a broken intake manifold, did the saginaw conversion. All based on what I learned here. Thanks.

Im now driving it and decided to try out the 4 wheel drive. It drives fine on the road with 2wd. It drives fine with the hubs locked in 4W hi. But when I shift to 4W Lo it has an awful crunching sound. Sounds like two pieces of metal clanking, loud. You can feel it in the transfer shifter.

My question is, what do I do? Is the transfer case shot, do I need to just replace (and get a H55), or is it likely in the hubs or front Dif.

are you stopped, not rolling when shifting to 4L?
if it is all good in 4H the the axle, diff are all good.
H55 would use your existing transfer case unless you buy a combo unit.

yes, stopped going into 4L. It goes in fine, its as soon as I start moving that I get the clank. particularly with turning.

Yes, I know the H55 is the transmission but if I take down the transfer case it will give me a reason to switch the transmission out as well.

Sounds like you’ve got problems in your low range transfer case gears.
People forget when you shift from 4H to 4L you need to stop. If you don’t then your bound to break teeth off the gears. You could remove the front driveline and drive in 4L to see if there is still a noise but you said it’s only in 4L. I’d check the transfer case.

Have you checked that your linkage is adjusted properly ?

Try disconnecting the shifter and manually put it into each range, see if the noise stops.

Have you checked that your linkage is adjusted properly ?

Try disconnecting the shifter and manually put it into each range, see if the noise stops.

I think you nailed it. I haven’t had time to adjust the linkage but if I hold it over in 4L the popping improves. It must be slipping in and out. Thanks.

Game back on. Transfer case replacement was way down on the list of improvements to get this old girl back in gear.

I think you nailed it. I haven’t had time to adjust the linkage but if I hold it over in 4L the popping improves. It must be slipping in and out. Thanks.

Game back on. Transfer case replacement was way down on the list of improvements to get this old girl back in gear.

I had the same thing happen. You just have to keep the shifter lever away from the floor cut out so it doesn’t bump around and knock it out of gear.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom