What happened to my 1HDFT? Taking bets (2 Viewers)

What happened to my 1HDFT?

• connecting rod bearing(s) spun, allowing piston/valve contact.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wrist pins bad, allowing piston to rise to high

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would look very carefully in all the nooks and cranny's for other "Bit's" of excess material! Pull the galley plugs and run a gun rod through them, open the oil pump, check the oil squirters and other passages for any debris.

I bought a freshly rebuilt Isuzu 4BD2 that burnt and exploded a piston when an injector stuck open. It took a long time to find and clear the crap out of the block.

While I was doing this, I also ground away casting slag and smooth passages for both oil and coolant. Ya, ya. overkill...so what!

Hope all goes well.

I would strongly recommend new pistons too. Pics 2 and 4 show heat related cracking of the pistons at the combustion bowl. If this is left to its own devices, they will crack all the way through.

This is what the end result is

IMG_9448.jpg

Cracked completely in half.

Looking at this again, I think you've been cooking pistons. Where is your EGT gauge and how hot is your tune?

The BEB damage is unrelated to the cooked pistons though.

Looking at this again, I think you've been cooking pistons. Where is your EGT gauge and how hot is your tune?

The BEB damage is unrelated to the cooked pistons though.

I’ve never seen it get over 1000f pre turbo (18psi boost). Air-to-air intercooler and 3” exhaust, g-turbo.
But the first 100k miles are an unknown.

Still need to strip this motor down (only one engine stand and I’m preparing the replacement).

With pistons out, the crank spins smoothly; and minimal wear on the cylinder walls. It seems that I could get away with:
-New pistons (perhaps oversized depending on cylinder honing)
-New connecting rods (just two? Or entire set?)
-New crank (I don’t think they can polish this out)
-rebuild kit (bearings seals etc).

The head only had 30k miles on it. I’ll test the valves, but probably leave it as is.

Sully, perhaps that motor is haunted. :skull:

Hope the new one gets in soon, and the truck back on the road. I think the next time I pull my injectors for a service I will bore-scope each cylinder to take a look at the pistons. Those cracks were destined to get worse.

Steve

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom