What happened here? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Was inspecting underneath this arvo and noticed what appears to be grease spitting out of the driveshaft. Is this normal?

Shaft (Line).jpg

Just extra grease that spun off after greasing the u-joints or drive shaft. Unless I am missing something.

yep totally normal, thats your slip joint in the shaft. you dont wat to over grease the slip joint as it will cause the shaft to bind up and not act as a slip joint, i usually go with 4 or 5 pumps from the grease gun when greasing the drive shaft

Usually when you grease a joint like this you pump the grease in until you see it start to come out the sides. That grease then gets flung off over time...it can both make a mess and help to rust proof everything around it ;)

Completely and 100% normal. Make it a habit to grease at the same time as your U joints.

Usually when you grease a joint like this you pump the grease in until you see it start to come out the sides. That grease then gets flung off over time...it can both make a mess and help to rust proof everything around it ;)
Some pump until the first movement of the shaft before grease spills out. Ymmv

beandle: Clean that area off with a rag or paper towels, don't over grease the slip yolks, just a few pumps, stop if/when you see the shaft start to push out (and use a Moly fortified grease).

If you pump until you see grease coming out around the slip yolk shaft you have likely overgreased it (unless the seal is worn), so then you can remove the zerk fitting (?8mm socket) and let any excess come out, then replace the zerk.

For the U-joints, which caused some of that mess, you do want to continue pumping grease until all the air (and/or water) and old grease has come out of all the end caps.

What I like to do to decrease the mess is after greasing the U-joints is to use my fingers to get in and around the spider (U-joint) to remove any excess grease that has spewed out so it doesn't get flung around.

FWIW

ps: wasn't sure what arvo meant, searched; Australian slang for afternoon??

beandle: Clean that area off with a rag or paper towels, don't over grease the slip yolks, just a few pumps, stop if/when you see the shaft start to push out (and use a Moly fortified grease).

If you pump until you see grease coming out around the slip yolk shaft you have likely overgreased it (unless the seal is worn), so then you can remove the zerk fitting (?8mm socket) and let any excess come out, then replace the zerk.

For the U-joints, which caused some of that mess, you do want to continue pumping grease until all the air (and/or water) and old grease has come out of all the end caps.

What I like to do to decrease the mess is after greasing the U-joints is to use my fingers to get in and around the spider (U-joint) to remove any excess grease that has spewed out so it doesn't get flung around.

FWIW

ps: wasn't sure what arvo meant, searched; Australian slang for afternoon??
You wipe it off!?
That's part of the ACIS.

I use the leaking oil pump cover gasket for corrosion control, globs of grease just makes more of a mess IMHO.

Usually when you grease a joint like this you pump the grease in until you see it start to come out the sides.
Well, thats fine for the U-joints, but not the spline - not such a good idea in this case - Like @Kernal and @bigredmachine said - be careful NOT to fill it up with grease.
Think of it as a giant hypodermic syringe - if you fill it up with grease (an incomprehensible fluid) then it becomes a fixed length column between the diff at one end and the transfer case output shaft on the other - now what happens as you go over bumps? LOTS of stress!

If you want to grease the hell out of it, then remove the zerk after - slide it shorter - to push the excess grease out, then replace the zirk, leaving some compressible air space inside.

Well, thats fine for the U-joints, but not the spline - not such a good idea in this case - Like @Kernal and @bigredmachine said - be careful NOT to fill it up with grease.
Think of it as a giant hypodermic syringe - if you fill it up with grease (an incomprehensible fluid) then it becomes a fixed length column between the diff at one end and the transfer case output shaft on the other - now what happens as you go over bumps? LOTS of stress!

If you want to grease the hell out of it, then remove the zerk after - slide it shorter - to push the excess grease out, then replace the zirk, leaving some compressible air space inside.
Good point. My mind was in pin and cv mode.

One thing that I have done when greasing the U joints and that slip joint I use a Lucas Heavy Duty grease that is intended for heavy equipment and is less likely to fling out at high RPMS.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom