What happends when you drive in 4 on pavement? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.geocities.com
I am wondering if something is not working correctly on my cruiser because when I drove in 4 wheel drive on pavement it did not hop, skip, squeal, or anything - it drove like normal even when doing sharp circles

****I know that this is bad, and it is not a good idea to drive in 4 wheel drive on the pavement****I did not drive long in 4 and wanted to see if my 4wheel drive was working...

Should the truck not have skipped, squealed, and driven funny when doing sharp slow circles whilst on the pavement?

I remember when I had a four runner I drove on tarmac for a brief few seconds and the tires squealed when driving in circles, could there be something wrong with my truck?

If your differentials aren't locked, you shouldn't really expect to hear anything major when driving on pavement. They definitely would have squealed and skipped if your diffs were locked.

- Matt

Thanks Anthro...
I was wondering if that was the case, but I don't recall the 4runner having lockers, maybe just a newer 4 wheel drive system that locked the rear diff.

There's nothing wrong with 4wd on pavement but for increased distance driving it will hurt your fuel economy and eventually it will wear on front axle components faster than average but other than that there really isn't any problems driving 4wd on the pavement so long as the diff is not locked

not so fast.... It is Not ok to drive in 4 wheel drive on the pavement, unless you
want to break some thing. Driving in 4 wheel drive on pavement(dry) Will lead to driveline wind up, then to breakage,and it will happen before you know it.
Keep in mind that a 40/60 series transfercase has no means of slipping between front and rear, both driveshafts turn at the same rate of speed, when you turn the front wheels will take a longer path the comlete a cricle than the rears, so unless the tires slip.... somethings gonna give,more than likly it'll be a birfield or maybe a transfercase. Just DONT do it.

You locked the hubs right?? :confused:

I can tell if my hubs are locked in on tight, slow turns. The front has the feeling that something is in a bind. I figured it was the sharp angles on the birfields, because if I ease up on the steering wheel, the feeling goes away. Other than that, I have never had squeeling tires, or hopping, but I don't have lockers either.

not so fast.... It is Not ok to drive in 4 wheel drive on the pavement, unless you
want to break some thing. Driving in 4 wheel drive on pavement(dry) Will lead to driveline wind up, then to breakage,and it will happen before you know it.
Keep in mind that a 40/60 series transfercase has no means of slipping between front and rear, both driveshafts turn at the same rate of speed, when you turn the front wheels will take a longer path the comlete a cricle than the rears, so unless the tires slip.... somethings gonna give,more than likly it'll be a birfield or maybe a transfercase. Just DONT do it.

X2..........I found out the hard way with my first 4Wd vehicle. It will bind up.

Ed

Not good

You shouldn't drive in 4x4 on pavement, because there is no differentiation between the front and rear wheels when you r making a turn. differntials do that between the same axel wheels , but there is nothing to differentiate between the front and back wheels. Now you can figure out what you will be doing to your dirve line.

Last edited:
Dave & Degnol have nailed it. Bad news on curves where inside & outside axles turn different distances.

If necessary it can be accomplished w/o harm for straight ahead, short distances. Foe example, my 60 is too high geared for my small but larger than stock 33's and sometimes from a standing start to get out of a steep driveway or something I will put it in full 4x4, but take it out immediately past the obstacle.

HTH John

Thanks for all the responses, and yes, my hubs were turned in - I did notice a slight resistance to the steering, but I was more checking to see if it would hop, and squeal. But those questions have been answered. I did know that it was bad to drive in 4 on pavement, but did not know why - it does make sense about the turning ratios, and the stresses associated with the tires/diffs have no ability to slip...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom