What good outdoor sealed waterproof wire connectors would you recommend? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
May need to do some wiring connection where the wires will be exposed under the truck, and that I need to disconnect periodically. One or 2 wires. Are there some affordable sealed waterproof connectors that you would recommend for general purpose? Hopefully reusable and not needing some really weird installation tool. I do have MC4s handy but they are kinda bulky, and can't be reused IIRC. So maybe something better?
TIA

Weatherpack is the go to in the truck industry. They do require tools. They are available everywhere because of GM

Thanks. Did look at those. Fairly straightforward. I'm thinking I can crimp the contact wings with a PP45 or MC4 crimper. The circular crimp for the seal is less obvious, but maybe one of my hex dies could work for that, so I don't have to buy yet another crimper. Or improvise with pliers.
I also saw some Deutsch connectors that seem to be popular. Some claim they are better than the Weatherpacks.

Can one buy Toyota-compatible connectors from the aftermarket at all?

Deutsch or Weatherpack. Both are decent. Just choose the appropriate one for the current you need to carry and wire gauge.

Weatherpack can use a relatively inexpensive crimper that can do the wire crimp and also the seal crimp. Why skimp on the most critical part of the job (the crimp)?

cheers,
george.

Agreed that the specific tools are not that expensive. However, from what I can see, the contact crimpers that are said to be specifically for the Weatherpack are the same as for any other open barrel wing crimps like the PP45 and the MC4. And it does not appear that small variations in the geometry of that contact crimp would matter for the connector assembly. Of course, the contact crimp has to be good electrically, but that would be ensured by proper use of those crimpers as well. The "crimp" on the seal, however, may not have much purpose beyond just holding the seal in place, as it is compressed by the housing farther back, so less critical I think. Of course, you don't want to completely smush and distort the poor thing. But a light hex forming of that metal wing seems OK to me.
I like buying new tools but I like even more using a tool I already have for another creative purpose...

Last edited:
Water proof trailer wire 4 way connectors.

Weatherpack is the go to in the truck industry. They do require tools. They are available everywhere because of GM
Weatherpack. Universal. You can even purchase at autobox stores in a pinch. When I rewired my FJ40 I used these throughout.

1. This:

Delphi Packard 5 Completed Set (2 Circuits) Weatherpack, Waterproof, Terminal Kit 14, 16 AWG Amazon product ASIN B075M2FL3W
is an inexpensive connector rated for something like 15-20 cycles.

2. This:

Deutsch DT Series 12 Pin Connector Kit w/Barrel Style Terminals 14-16 AWG Amazon product ASIN B019DLLJS8
is also a relatively inexpensive connector, but rated for hundreds of cycles.

3. This:

AMPHENOL INDUSTRIAL MS3106A10SL-3S CIRCULAR CONNECTOR PLUG SIZE 10SL 3POS, CABLE AMPHENOL INDUSTRIAL MS3106A10SL-3S CIRCULAR CONNECTOR PLUG SIZE 10SL 3POS, CABLE: Electronic Components: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

is an EXPENSIVE connector (when considering tools, gold pins, and the myriad of other parts needed to complete an install) used to keep planes in the air for years.

We use the second option for everything we do so serviceability never becomes an issue.

“xxx piece” kits and the like are available for a decent price on amazon and will last through many electronics projects, probably a lifetime of personal projects (and “friends” projects too, once they see how awesome they are, all your buddies will want some here and there).

Every time I’ve used a weather pack connector, I’ve gotten pissed about something. Every other time I go to connect them, one of the pins gets bent because nothing is really keeping them in place like there is on a deutsch connector, AND the “pins” on a weather pack are actually bent pieces of super thin sheetmetal. The deutsch pins are actually solid metal pins and are held in place in an extremely stout fashion, not really possible to get them misaligned during a connection event.

If the name brand crimp tool for the connector you wish to use is cost prohibitive, you can get ones off AliExpress really cheap. I wouldn't trust them for production level quantities, but for DIY use, they seem to be fine.

I second the weather pack connectors being very average. Deutsch connectors are far better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom