what gm alt to use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.pipsquack4wheelers.com
well i finally met the frydaddy last night. he knows a few electricians i know. he came to my house to check out my rigs we got to talking and drinking and drinking and talking. he told me to ditch the stock charging system. since i was having problems with it anyway. he said put the big gm alt with one wire hook up with int reg. but we switched topics so much i forgot what year or model to get the alt off of. can anyone tell me this info. also hope to meet some of you guys at toys for tots. :beer:

use the search...tons of info.
I am running a 12si (3wire) GM alternator in my 40.
Easy hookup, the only tricky part was swapping pulleys...so DON'T throw your stock unit without removing the pulley first :D

dacicci--go to madelectrical.com and on the home page click on electrical tech to find lots of info on 1 wire vs 3wire alts, 10SI & 12SI alts, GM wiring, brighter headlights, etc. Do a lot of reading there and you will find some good info, maybe not the year and model of donor vehicle(don't remember) but excellent tech info to help with wiring and charging systems. This is going to be one of my winter projects after I get to do my 4WDB.

Handcannon

Yep - madelectrical has the info you are after. Not only can you find the alternator clocking positions and part numbers but you can also read why a one wire alt is not a good thing for the performance of your electrical system... Lots of good readin' there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom