What gives on snorkel prices? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Tauranga New Zealand via Vancouver Island Canada
Check out this way cool brochure:

http://buschtaxi.org/downloadz/fahrzeuge/j7hd_aussie.pdf

Aside from being cool, notice that the "airbox snorkel" is an option listed at $225 AUS...which is a whole helluva lot cheaper than the Safari. Does anyone have the part number for this factory snorkel?

and just think aus dollar is worth less than the can :)

I posted all the part #'s for the OEM snorkel here. It's costly something to the tune of $500 usd which would be even more for you. I wonder if any of the #'s are good with ENS? THe cone hat you can order as I suspect if crosses over to a hino app. I put it on the top of my 40's safari.

Island Moose said:
Today's exchange rate would be $204 Canadian. Anyone in OZ that double check the price on these puppies? Would be 70-75 series diesels.

Somethings wrong:mad:
TJM Megastore want $503 AUD for the Airtec snorkle and ARB want $430 AUD for the Safari for a HZJ75/78/79.

Some owners in the eastern states of oz reckoned they only paid about $250 for the Airtec

like a lot of options, if you order it when buying new its pretty cheap, but if you buy it after the fact is more $$

Island Moose said:
Check out this way cool brochure:

http://buschtaxi.org/downloadz/fahrzeuge/j7hd_aussie.pdf

Aside from being cool, notice that the "airbox snorkel" is an option listed at $225 AUS...which is a whole helluva lot cheaper than the Safari. Does anyone have the part number for this factory snorkel?

Hey Moose, just wondering.. putting on a snorkle, does that mean you will want to run some deep water crossing in the future :doh:

or planning the day van isle sinks into the ocean. :D

actually for everyone, is the snorkle something any uses for practical use, or is the bling factor like some of the jeeps running around I see in the city.

I can see IF you used it for its purpose. But it seems like a expensive mod for appearance only.

But they do look pretty cool. especially the round top ones.......

I know I would only use it for apperance, but I think it is more for the times you have no other choice, ever seen Dante's Peak when the big GM truck goes through the river with the snorkel, there is a Land Cruiser in that movie too it is 70 gasser. Never know s*** happens, lol

Mostly the pimp factor

brownbear said:
Hey Moose, just wondering.. putting on a snorkle, does that mean you will want to run some deep water crossing in the future :doh:

or planning the day van isle sinks into the ocean. :D

actually for everyone, is the snorkle something any uses for practical use, or is the bling factor like some of the jeeps running around I see in the city.

I can see IF you used it for its purpose. But it seems like a expensive mod for appearance only.

But they do look pretty cool. especially the round top ones.......

It's been discussed before...but besides the deep water corssing capability, there's the added benefit of drawing cool and clean fresh air rather than warm dusty air under the hood. Cooler air is more dense, and dense air contains more oxygen making for better combustion.

Do I think dollar-for-dollar it's a good value mod? No. :doh: But it does look and sound cool. :flipoff2:

Stone said:
It's been discussed before...but besides the deep water corssing capability, there's the added benefit of drawing cool and clean fresh air rather than warm dusty air under the hood. Cooler air is more dense, and dense air contains more oxygen making for better combustion.

Do I think dollar-for-dollar it's a good value mod? No. :doh: But it does look and sound cool. :flipoff2:

I am sure its been discussed to death before, so I don't want to go there.

but one thing I want to know is, sure it allows you to forge deep water, but how does it keep your paper airfilter from getting wet while driving in a rain storm. And I have seen them turned backwards, then your lose the ram air effect.

But IF you live in Flood country and decide not to evacuate then you can drive around and loot the neighbourhood. :flipoff2:

but hey I still may one day buy one, but its after lockers, tire carriers, etc etc etc.

TJM Snorkels have a weep hole for rainy days.

The head is turned backwards by some people in an effort to preserve it from low tree branches in suburbs and woods.

Ram Air Effect is negligible if any. You need a lot more air than the snorkel can catch.

Kalawang

Well, you live in the same Province as me...so I don't have to tell you how much it rains here. :)

I've had my snorkel for a while now, and for most of that time I've had an air ram, recently switching over to the cyclonic "hat". I've never seen my paper filter wet, even while driving a heavy downpour at highway speeds. I have noticed some moisture getting to my airbox and leaving water marks on the inside of the box, but I've never had the filter saturated. The air ram is designed to catch most of the rain and let it drip down the various holes at the bottom of the air ram.

Anyway, I would imagine that moisture is a concern at the fuel side of the equation as you don't want water to come into contact with sensitive fuel components like injectors.

Island Moose said:
David...define "cheap"?

http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_accessories/aircleaner.htm#safari snorkel

not much .. but

mbroomHA.jpg

Tapage,
that is a very cool pic.
The ride must have been amazing.
I have never liked the look of snorkels myself.
But they do have a purpose.
It is nice to see a snorkel being used for it's intended purpose.

high prices?

surely half an hour at Home Depot will result in three feet of ABS pipe, some hose clamps, a hacksaw and some flexible ducting - voila, a snorkel :)

If only i could post some pics here, can i email someone some pics to someone to post them for me?
I made a snorkel with 3 inch pipe(Waynes suggestion thanks), used a safari scoop and combined that with an filter box from a GM cab forward truck which is at least twice the size of the stock air filter. I did this not for water but for increased air and lower temps. I must say it makes a noticable difference to the temps.
Anyone that knows the cut (steep portion of #1) in north van.
Well before I could not go all the way up without hitting 1200F (in 4th gear). Usually I go up in third just because why bother pushing it. But with the air filter and snorkel I had to test this again. I can go all the way up in 4th now and the temp levels out at 1100F and does not get any hotter.
Oh so this makes more sense I have 33's with 4.11s.
Driving around i stuck the scoop out the window to see how much air it rammed through, and even at 50 km there is some darn good airflow!
Anyhow my difference in temps has to be due to the snorkel and the filter.
The sound of the turbo is worth it alone though.

jzilla said:
I made a snorkel with 3 inch pipe(Waynes suggestion thanks), used a safari scoop and combined that with an filter box from a GM cab forward truck which is at least twice the size of the stock air filter. .
cool, glad i could help, got any pics?
cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom