What gear ratio should you choose for your Re-Gear (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Stock gearing is extremely high, with a top speed well in excess of 120mph before redline (on stock tires). The engine doesn't have enough power to overcome drag to get to redline, so power is compromised in the search for mpg and the returns are negligible. Not to mention that low fuel economy is something most of us here have come to terms with long ago. I have 37's and 5.29's and have hit 100 mph comfortably (with regards to engine rpm, at least). That combo is 8-9% under the stock ratio. If there were lower gears available, I'd be looking for them in my next build. IMO cruising at 80mph isn't a concern with 35+ tires and 5.29's. If it were, I would have to look at what my truck's intended use is. Cruising down the highway at higher-than-legal speeds? Stock gears and stock tires, no lift, and maybe a trade for an IFS platform. Wheeling, and being able to drive the toy to and from the playpen comfortably? I could, if necessary, keep the speed down a bit on the highway for the benefits of lower gears off-highway. But as has been mentioned, 80mph is an easy cruising speed, even when geared lower than the stock final ratio.

The argument for strength has some validity in theory and possibly in extreme cases, but is not as much of an issue as some people make it out to be if the gears are set up well. Most of the ring/pinion failures I've heard of were definitively traced back to, or suspected to be due to, poor installation.

To the OP's original question- @cruiseroutfit has posted some ratio tables, so you can see which gears (diff and transfer case) and tire combos result in what ratios. Search for cruiser outfitters, gears, or something like that, or he may chime in.

I'm happy w/ 5.29's and 37's.

5.29 on 37s and I'm so glad I went that route. I can't imagine having 4.88 gears and 37s; that would have been instant regret for me. Vehicle is only driven on the weekends.

Cool! All day long sample yt vid would be great thx (uh8fuel)

P.S. Any pics of your 80 you could share?
You want a video of me driving at 80 mph
Cool! All day long sample yt vid would be great thx (uh8fuel)

P.S. Any pics of your 80 you could share?
yeah I’ll get right on that

35's and 4.88's here and love this combination. My only regret is not doing it sooner. One of the most expensive mods I've done to the Cruiser and easily the most impactful. I live in NC but want to drive to Arizona again just to experience the long grades with 4.88's instead of the factory gearing.

Reactions: MoJ
I enjoy the NVH of my stock gears and 35s.

I'm thinking 37s soon, so probably 4.88 next year.

Dandy thread here....

6400 lbs loaded and with me in it. Fully armoured, front and rear steel bumpers sliders and 1/4 inch full skid, 4 inch with slee arms, 4.88 about 12% under geared. 35's roof rack and hardshell rtt

Cruises 80 through Idaho all day long

12. 6 mpg consistently if I keep my foot out of it. Also have 25% t-case.

I've gone trail running with a stock geared 80 with only mods being 33's and arb front bumper. Same fuel economy.

Love the t-case gears for slick rock and loose slopes. BUT I'm always tail gunner. I'm slow compared to stock case on trail

Last edited:
So you are driving "cross country" at an indicated 85mph+ on an unmolested stock speedo on 35s w/ 4.88s? I'd love to check this out.

I run 35s w/ 4.88s and I go 85+ on a regular basis. I don't get great gas milage (10 MPG) because my rig is very heavy but it will definitely go fast with this setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom