What gauge metal is 60 body? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Simple as it sounds. Just wondered if it is 20 ga or 18 ga? I've ordered a repair patch and it will be 20 ga, seems thin to me.

Thanks, but that’s a ‘maybe’ from Chicago. I’ve been told it’s 20 ga. But thought someone would actually know.

I just checked a few areas inside the rear quarter where the jack resides. average measurement was 1.10 mm

the chart above says 18g is 1.214, 19g is 1.062 and 20g is .912 So it's closer to 18g and maybe just .10 mm less.

Don't have it yet. Wolf Steel They claim and are building it in 20 ga. I think it's too light.

I just checked a few areas inside the rear quarter where the jack resides. average measurement was 1.10 mm

the chart above says 18g is 1.214, 19g is 1.062 and 20g is .912 So it's closer to 18g and maybe just .10 mm less.
Thats the supports? or the body?

Don't have it yet. Wolf Steel They claim and are building it in 20 ga. I think it's too light.

Well, you know someone who can make panel in 18ga... 🤔.

I've been building my own panels from 18ga, and my panels are heavier than the stock sheet metal. But the Toyota steel also seems thicker than the 20ga I've worked with in the past. If I had to guess, I would say that Toyota used 19ga or perhaps a metric size that falls somewhere between 18 and 20ga.

But as @David*BJ70 said: I doubt there's anyone out there pressing 18ga replacement panels, as you'd need to have a huge press to do that cleanly. 20ga should be adequate: it's stronger than rust! Just ensure good fit-up and weld slow with thin wire.

I laughed when the PDR (paintless dent removal) guy said the metal was thick and harder to move. I always felt that the 60-series doors/hood felt thin and tinny. But, that's partly a function of the lack of any sound deadening inside those panels.

Thats the supports? or the body?
I checked the supports and where the latch ties in. Seems like it would be stamped out of the same metal. I've got a hole in one of my rockers I could check it there.

I checked my rocker this morning. It was a little difficult because rust all around the hole. I pulled off some rust and the narrowest measurement was 1.15mm. This is with primer, paint and clear coat. I think 18g would be better but 20g after primer, paint and clear is going to be close to what I measured. I'd go with the 20g if that is what they offer. As mentioned above go with small wire .023 and lower settings. Take your time, spot every inch then go back and fill in between.

Thanks, I appreciate your efforts very much!! If you check my signature line I did the BJ74 rear quarter, and with .023.
I've got the spot weld technique down. I think I'll be flanging the edges so I've got metal behind. I know the really high end
pros might be able to butt these but not me. I can do a pretty decent job. My goal is skim coat of glaze, but will have to wait
and see. I rebuilt the entire FJ40 tub complete and it went well, but I did it with 16 ga, wayyyy easier. Lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom