What Gasoline Fuel Grade to Use? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My rig is a FJ40, 3.9L, 1974 Model. For about 2 years, I used a Premium grade gasoline fuel w/ 95 Octane. However, when i brought it to my mechanic for repair I was told to just use Regular Unleaded grade w/ 91 Octane fuel instead as it does not produce a lot of heat in the engine. Need to know your expertise advise if the recommendation of my mechanic is right or not. Thanks

I don’t think the compression ratio is high enough in a 2F to benefit from high octane gasoline. At my elevation 85 - 87 works well.

devo
Thanks @devo. Appreciate your insight. My only challenge now is that 85-87 Octane and ethanol free gas (@fjc-man ) for the longest time are no longer available in my country. The lowest grade of gasoline that we have is Unleaded w/ 91 Octane. I just hope that this won't create a lot of troubles in my engine. Thanks again folks for your sound advises.

Fun fact, The US and Canada both use a different Octane system than the rest of the world. We use the Anti Knock Index which is a mix of Motor Octane Number and Research Octane number. Seeing your profile that you are in the Philippines, you use just the Research Octane Number. The difference is that the US octane number, AKI, is 4-6 octane numbers lower than the RON. So when we use 87 octane, it is equivalent to your 91 octane. Basically, you are good.

I’ll reach out to say that the Landcruiser and its 2F have been in 3rd world countries for generations and I’ll continue the reach to say that in some areas of the world the 2F is burning whatever they have to fill the tank and they don’t have a choice on octane or quality of fuels.
and the Landcruisers keep on truckin’
As a matter of fact, my distributor has a little dial on it so if I run low grade fuels I can adjust the timing if it were to ping!

devo

Fun fact, The US and Canada both use a different Octane system than the rest of the world. We use the Anti Knock Index which is a mix of Motor Octane Number and Research Octane number. Seeing your profile that you are in the Philippines, you use just the Research Octane Number. The difference is that the US octane number, AKI, is 4-6 octane numbers lower than the RON. So when we use 87 octane, it is equivalent to your 91 octane. Basically, you are good.
Thank you @Krondor . Appreciate this good news. I can now sleep peacefully.

Thanks @Krondor. Appreciate this much. I can now sleep.

I’ll reach out to say that the Landcruiser and its 2F have been in 3rd world countries for generations and I’ll continue the reach to say that in some areas of the world the 2F is burning whatever they have to fill the tank and they don’t have a choice on octane or quality of fuels.
and the Landcruisers keep on truckin’
As a matter of fact, my distributor has a little dial on it so if I run low grade fuels I can adjust the timing if it were to ping!

devo
Thanks again @devo. I see it often on videos especially in the middle east countries...

I'f you can get ethenol free gasoline, buy it! If it contains ethenol, it doesn't matter what "octane" you buy, it's all trash that burns hotter, eats away at our carbs, hardens our rubber fuel hoses, and can rust away our tanks.

Of course, they say as long as you keep driving a vehicle that contains ethenol fuel, you shouldn't have a problem; but If you have the choice, support your ethenol free fuel station.

Unfortunately they shut down the station I had in my city. The next closest one was about 100 miles away

My Wallyworld has ethanol free, that’s choice 1. Otherwise plain 87 unless it’s it the summer and hot as F, then I will go mid grade 89 so I don’t ping. Ethanol free doesn’t seem to boil in the carb bowl after shutdown on a hot day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom