What front axle do I have? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all!

Just finished a SM420 swap on my 40 and also added large aggressive mud tires and beadlocks.(37x10.5 TSL SX)

Adding the tires I know I need to beef up the front end and steering components. I would like to identify or be told how to identify what front axle I have so I can know as reference in the future or if there are different lengths of axles? Or does it not matter?

The full plan for the front is:

Full knuckle rebuild/hub rebuild/new bearings/new chromoly hub gear

New chromoly axle shafts

Air locker- Since it’s all apart, right lol

GM 1 Ton steering conversion (ruff stuff)

Drop Pittman arm to replace flat and less bump steer

4 plus u bolt flip kit

My plan is to install caster shims/u-bolt flip kit and greaseable shackle pins when I have everything stripped down and out of the axle just because it’s lighter. Is that a good plan? I cannot think of any drawbacks.

Are superwinch hubs any good or should I think about Aisin or Warn?

I was told when I bought the 40 the axle was out of an 85 Land Cruiser but I don’t know if it’s a FJ60-FJ55-FJ40…

3033522A-4E42-43DE-A92F-4ED8FD242AE1.jpeg

806797A3-00B8-4519-BC6F-4D598222C7FF.jpeg

71EA3E3F-9923-4FD9-A537-49A03C0C0A55.jpeg

FF7355AF-DB18-41E9-85EE-6907E6271E95.jpeg

99464370-A44A-4067-92C0-04831663CDE5.jpeg

there are way more knowledgeable people to chime in than my but i have some insight. looks like you probably had course 6 spline front end and someone swapped out to the fine spline axles and used disc knuckles and such which is cool, i did this to my 75. there are 2 variations of fine spline axle shaft, one is just barely longer than the other. good news is the longer axles are rarer but require a special long body hub to accommodate. i have the long version in my truck, from a 78 i believe, and got long body aisin hubs from racer. spline count is the same so all you are really worried about is buying the right hub if you swap.

Standard 40 axle with disc brakes or a disc brake upgrade. A 85 axle would have been a 60 axle and would require outboarding the spring mounts or altering spring perches. You don't seem to have either.

Agree with pjohnson☝️, your parts appear identical to what I have on my 76. As far as superwinch hubs go, they seem plenty strong to me. My buddy used to wheel hard on his out at Evans Creek for years without any issues.

Last edited:
Interesting that nobody commented that your main steering rod is bent AF. :rolleyes: :

Interesting that nobody commented that your main steering rod is bent AF. :rolleyes: :
nah, its just clearanced for more turning powah.

Drill a new hole on your spring perches and move the axle back about an inch. Looks like your rear tire will rub the front of the rear fender well.

Standard 40 axle with disc brakes or a disc brake upgrade. A 85 axle would have been a 60 axle and would require outboarding the spring mounts or altering spring perches. You don't seem to have either.

It could be an 85 40 series from another market. But most likely would be a drum brake axle if it was. The location of the caliper on the front would suggest something aftermarket. The refector on the apron would be 68 or 69. Mostly not a ball and claw axle but have seen a thread on mud of someone working to convert a ball and claw to disc brakes which is something I would never do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom