What EXACTLY is the difference between an FJ-60 & FJ-62 steering box? (1 Viewer)

Website
www.sonoransteel.com
What EXACTLY is the difference between an FJ-60 & FJ-62 steering box?

FJ-62 Toyota Part Number: 44110-60160: 08/87 to 01/90 LHD

Certainly starts for the 62 in 1988 and ends when the 80 came out.

Also the rebuild kits are different:

Power Steering Rebuild Kit 8/80 - 8/87 ~ TOYOTA 34446-00010
Power Steering Rebuild Kit 9/87- 90 ~ TOYOTA 34446-00030

So what is the difference in these two boxes?

I would like to know too, I might need a new steering box for my 62, having seen the prices for rebuilds I almost fell out of my chair.

$2400.00 @ SOR? Is that a typo?

Would be nice to have the option of using either if I chance upon a great deal.

boxes

Howdy-

Join the 3fe yahoo group. We are in the process of finding a cheap core and we have a rebuild price that will make your jaw drop for good reasons. You'd be last in line, but it's worth it.

V

Late 60s and 62 steering gear boxes have a different spacing on the bolt pattern on the four frame attachment bolts, compared to early FJ60s boxes. AFAIK, the late 60s and 62 steering gear boxes are the same, and interchangable.

Website
www.sonoransteel.com
landcruiserdude said:
Late 60s and 62 steering gear boxes have a different spacing on the bolt pattern on the four frame attachment bolts, compared to early FJ60s boxes. AFAIK, the late 60s and 62 steering gear boxes are the same, and interchangable.

Yes it does appear that the spacing is slightly different. They do use the same bolts and nuts but the 62 picked up washers.

Moby

GOLD Star
When my box failed I got a rebuilt from TLC4x4 (which promptly failed 1.5 years later). They said that there was a bolt spacing difference between boxes but they didn't have a model year change date, they just asked me to measure what I had.

When the TLC4x4 box started leaking badly I had Redhead Steering in Seattle rebuild it. They do all sorts of custom boxes (altered ratios for drag racers...). So far I've got at least 10,000 miles on their rebuild without any problems.

lovetoski

SILVER Star
Moby said:
...I had Redhead Steering in Seattle rebuild it. They do all sorts of custom boxes (altered ratios for drag racers...). So far I've got at least 10,000 miles on their rebuild without any problems.[/SIZE]

Do you remember approx what you paid?

euclid

SILVER Star
The box on my 89 FJ62 is a box off of an FJ60 that was rebuilt by West Texas Off Road. No problems, and no differences from my origional AFAICT.

Godwin

Resident Herpetologist
SILVER Star
I have an '88 FJ62 box installed on my '85 FJ60. From that standpoint, no major difference between the late FJ60 box and FJ62. I also have an '81 FJ60 box lying around that I could check for the bolt hole spacing and compare to the later box.

Check out cruiserparts.net for boxes. They have the used ones with no leaks for like $125. Grab one of those and then rebuild yours.

Chris

Moby

GOLD Star
lovetoski said:
Do you remember approx what you paid?

Sorry, I don't exactly. I was in a hurry to leave on vacation when I found the problem so I had a local shop pull it and send it to Redhead instead of doing it myself. They said that Redhead can be a bit more expensive than an off the self rebuilt unit. I seem to remember 400-500 for the whole job.

I dont know the diff rence but i do know that power steering componets will rebuild and port it for 175.00 plus shipping ,i know this ass i just got mine back just the other day and reinstalled it today. it works great those guys do a supper job.http://www.pscmotorsports.com/

i have 83 fj60 with 350 4l80e tlc stock case soa cut and turn

i know I just found out the difference. I am rebuilding my 1986 FJ60 and have a restored early 80's frame. just tried to mount the box and found a very slight discrepancy in the mounting holes. Now the question is do I try and modify the holes or the unit, probaly a matter of a quarter inch on two or three of the holes. And it should have been so easy. This is the first major issue I have had using an older frame, a minor one with the rubber body mounts.

i know I just found out the difference. I am rebuilding my 1986 FJ60 and have a restored early 80's frame. just tried to mount the box and found a very slight discrepancy in the mounting holes. Now the question is do I try and modify the holes or the unit, probaly a matter of a quarter inch on two or three of the holes. And it should have been so easy. This is the first major issue I have had using an older frame, a minor one with the rubber body mounts.

You may want to look into the transmission mount as well before you continue. I believe they changed during 86 to the later 3F bellhousing/tranny setup.
Steering box is different as well as you have found out.

You just found the magic problem. I put a 62 frame into my diesel and had the same issue. I believe the frame/steering box change was made in about 1984. Thats why a power steering from a later 60 will fit a 62. Think of the bolt pattern in the early rigs as being rectangular and later rigs it is more of a parellelogram (a leaning rectangle). If you want to fit one to the other you need to move two of the holes about 3/8 of an inch.

I went ahead and modified my 62 frame as I wanted to retain the manual steering from my diesel. But it is not a case of welding up the holes and redrilling them. Due to the loads on the steering box the holes in the frame are sleeved so the bolts don't crush the frame. You have to put the sleeves back once they are relocated. It can be done and I am glad I did it but the easiest way is to locate a steering box with the same bolt pattern as your frame. This wasn't an option for me as the manual box was only used around 80-82.

As for the tranny mount, at one point they changed how it's mounted and made but it is in the same location as far as the driveshafts, tranny mounts etc are concerned. For example a 5 speed set up from a late model will bolt right into an early rig with no changes to the tranny mount of the rig. Auto to manual is another issue.

Tony

thanks Tony,
I did not think I was going to have a problem with the tranny but you never know, just when you think something simple like the steering box will pop right on.....fortunaltely i have a friend who is a real pro fabricator (rebuilds vintage race cars etc) and he will help me with the relocation of the holes and tubes.
Any idea which holes might be in the "proper" location (ie upper right, left, etc)

I dont exactly remember which two I moved but I don't think the steering cares which ones. There is enough room in the splines in the steering shaft to account for the movement. I thought I had a picture but all I can find is a before and after.

The crossmember is not an issue at all. If you have the crossmember from the new to you frame the tranny will bolt right to it.

Tony

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom