1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what does the hard top weigh ?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by scubajohn, Mar 10, 2004.

1. scubajohn

scubajohn

How heavy is the top with the sides glass and back lift gate door on a 70 fj40?

Can one strong person lift it ?
    Can 2 ?
    Does it take 4 :)

Thanks

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    Two can do it, three make it easy, and four, it is cake.

The more people that you have, the less likely you are to scratch up the body when removing and installing the top.

Good luck!

-Steve

3. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    take off the lift gate and it's a heck of a lot lighter.

4. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    With the lift gate removed, or the later style doors off, it still is not something that a single person will be able to control and manipulate the removal of..

Good luck!

-Steve

5. osteology

osteology

I just put mine back on - based on 10+ years of experience - 1 person is not possible, 2 people can be done but it SUCKS!, 3 people makes it a piece of cake.

6. helocat

helocat Tube is your buddy! Supporting Vendor

Did it once by myself in collageā€¦.. ONCE! Pulled the rear doors, climbed inside and pressed up with my back walked it back. (Did not help the paint!) Never again. Three is the best way to go. Just in case this is the first time you have pulled one, there are long posts that go inside the door frames.(By the door striker plates) You need to pull up on it evenly to pull these out to clear the tub.

Mark

7. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    1 person can do it well with an engine lift. I did it with the roof off, everything else attached, and a 2 by 4 bolted across the top through the roof bolt holes at the balance point. Webbing strap through a hole in the 2x4, hooked on to the engine hoist (arm fully extended). Lifted it up. Backed underneath. Was easily able to gently guide it into place. No pinched fingers, scratched finish or anything! This was my father-in-law's idea, and I found it a fine way of doing it!

8. TJDIV

TJDIV Back in The U.P.

Media:
    Albums:
    Every time I do it I get my brother, and two friends to help. Makes for a quick up and on; and then they get to work on the bolts.

I say 4. 4 it is.

9. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=IDave link=board=1;threadid=12915;start=msg119047#msg119047 date=1078977274]
    1 person can do it well with an engine lift. I did it with the roof off, everything else attached, and a 2 by 4 bolted across the top through the roof bolt holes at the balance point. Webbing strap through a hole in the 2x4, hooked on to the engine hoist (arm fully extended). Lifted it up. Backed underneath. Was easily able to gently guide it into place. No pinched fingers, scratched finish or anything! This was my father-in-law's idea, and I found it a fine way of doing it!
    [/quote]

how'd you get an engine lift to go that high?

10. 72cruiser

72cruiser

i hear ya helocat!

i did the uno-removal one time myself.

then about did a backflip over the rollbar tryin to line everything up when i put it back on. that was about the stupidest i have ever felt workin on the cruiser, esp. b/c my neighbors had just come outside and asked me how i was doin.

oh well, i'll try and remember not to do that again.

and nuclearlemon is mos def right abt the liftgate. it'll also help you scope out proper alignment if you have someone on the backend.

malphrus

11. hammerhead

hammerhead

[quote author=scubajohn link=board=1;threadid=12915;start=msg118975#msg118975 date=1078972142]
    How heavy is the top with the sides glass and back lift gate door on a 70 fj40? [/quote]...about three metric tons...
    lift it?...yes... install it?...no...
    Yes
    Makes it easy

12. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    [quote author=nuclearlemon link=board=1;threadid=12915;start=msg119152#msg119152 date=1078982477]
    how'd you get an engine lift to go that high?
    [/quote]

It isn't that high. What, 6 feet to the top of the hard top with the roof cap off? I use a cherrypicker type (like this), and extend the arm, which gives me all I need:

13. needamod

needamod

Media:
    Albums:
    It weighs 170 lbs. with liftgate.
    My buddy rigged up a pully system in his garage so he could easily take it off himself. When he put it back on he needed someone to make sure the posts were lined up. Friends are a good to have.

14. theo

theo

Ropes and pulleys from the rafters works for me. I made a couple of simple brackets to hook under the lip in 4 places. Hoist it up and drive out from under. One "man" job. Goes back on OK too.

15. tewlman

tewlman

i tried the one man technic with back under top once and can also vouch for the fact that it SUCKS. it might not be so bad if not for the posts, they are magnet on paint. tried and i tried to avoid hitting but they still managed to find it. #&%) #)%* ^*() #%&. all this while the wife just looks on, "are you ok?" she said. $&#@ &*#%.

16. wesintl

wesintl

Media:
    Albums:
    I don't think it's all that bad as a 1 man job but being 6'4" it's alot easier to manuever on my back. POP it up get the posts up and on the rail and then center it up and walk it off the truck. My paint isn't all that nice so I don't have to worry about that but my rig is a spring over and a 3' step ladder is needed to walk off the truck. I find it easier than asking my dad and or bro to help out cause each time they need some kind of lesson as to how the top attaches and what to look out for, what were doing/ it's time to lift/ your end isn't high enough.. etc.

17. scubajohn

scubajohn

18. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    IDave, you need some FRIENDS! Buy some beer, show it to them and tell them that AFTER you're done, well, you know.
    I'm such a pussy that I take mine apart. Stores easier, too.
    I do like your engine hoist, hope I don't need one for a while.
    Ed

19. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    I have plenty of friends who would love to help, it is just that, like everything around here, they are 10 miles away. Since my schedule is: you have until the next phone call to get it done, it is hard to plan parties.

But actually, the hoist worked well for another reason than just not enough hands. I was able to lower it to a quarter inch above the rim so I could go about and line up the holes in the seal with the bolts, shift it around, put the pipe hole seals in that I forgot to put in when I first dropped it, this and that. All stuff that 4 friends don't want to stand around with their fingers in between the top and the rim for a half an hour doing.

Hell, I have the hoist right there. My father in law made the 2 by 4 setup. It actually took less time to do it myself than to wait for people to come out of the house (where they were drinking my beer).

:D

20. Degnol

Degnol

Media:
    Albums:
    Darnit, IDave...you're good enough, you're smart enough... and people LIKE YOU.
    Use the engine hoist.
    Heh,heh.
    Gopherit.
    ED :flipoff2:

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">