What does the G stand for? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
...I don’t know!

75FFEF6F-0305-40FC-9D25-89A39FDB7C61.jpeg

It’s time I started a project thread. Heck, it’s time I started my project.

My 1976 FJ40 is also my first vehicle. I bought it in 2001, when I was 18, and told everybody I was buying my mid-life crisis vehicle early. I spent a ton of money on it, I broke a lot of stuff, and eventually I had to park it at a friend’s place near college because I had to focus on school instead.

Parked but never forgotten, it sat like this at my friend’s place for nearly a decade:
5AE6481B-DF28-4489-9914-17DBD707AA5E.jpeg

(taken from Google Maps - at one point I could find it in 3 different places on Google Maps, broken down in all three)

That’s depressing, though, so how about we start with some better times? Everyone has those images in their head of how things used to be, and for a long, long time those have been what’s kept me from just abandoning the whole thing.

Here is 2002 (ish) with @green73 near the Knik Glacier:
BB8358EC-BAE6-4BD2-BE4F-C056D8CCCAF8.jpeg

That was a great weekend! You may recognize the river between us and the glacier from Mark Whatley’s ‘rescue’ story and his avatar. We did not make any attempts to cross. That does not mean we avoided water crossings:
3FC1ADCA-8116-4D05-A14D-3BAB7355B2F1.jpeg

By the way, that Knik silt DESTROYS anything mechanical it gets into. Keep your fluids fresh! I once had the Anchorage Hummer dealer admit to me that, when the service department was slow, they would schedule a weekend ‘wheeling trip for the owner’s club out to Knik because they knew they’d have a full shop for the next couple weeks.

Of course, being young and seeing all that rock crawler stuff on the early internet, we had to do some posing:
606E0D6C-7103-4B22-B652-264B013BAF87.jpeg

Funny how memory is, though, because until I started digging up the photos of this trip to post here I had totally forgotten that my non-clutch’d fan took out my radiator on the last water crossing before pavement. I got dragged home on a strap. That will be a theme here for a while.

Last edited:
Another story before going back to the ’totally broken down‘ part:

In 2002 or 2003, a friend and I went out to Knik for a day to play closer to the road. There’s a bunch of trails you can play around on with almost any stock 4x4 so that’s what we were doing; I in my ‘40 and Mike in his Ranger.
016D4EC5-ECD7-4533-B6DF-E6F59F2A0AEC.jpeg

We got as far in as Jim Creek, which is also where my radiator died in the last post. The water was low so I decided to cross. I hit a deep patch and my distributor got wet so I was losing power quickly. I managed to get out onto a sandbar in the middle where I paused to hit it with some WD-40 and wait for things to dry before continuing. Mike, being the smarter one, decided not to follow so we sat there for a while. It’s a popular area, though, with good people watching, so we were entertained while waiting.

After a minute or two we noticed a really big, really shiny, K5 Blazer coming from the road side. He had the top off and a couple girls in bikinis in the back. He was hot s***. That thing was HUGE, enough to impress almost anybody at the mall. Jim Creek should be no problem for something like that so it was his chance to show off.

...Except, that’s not what happened. It was all show and no go. The phrase ‘chrome don’t get you home’ was very applicable. He got into the creek and that factory rear axle was not up to the task. The rear pinion snapped, the driveshaft came loose, and it was everything he could do to get it out onto the same sandbar as me:
85CE2E2F-B968-4BA8-AD21-73952F9634CE.jpeg

You know what he also didn’t have? Tools. He and his male passenger were trying to break the pinion free with the driveshaft when we heard a buzz. From the glacier side of the creek was a white Geo, coming at us balls to the wall. Full throttle. WAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

That Geo hit the creek, skipped a couple times, and sank. Four teenagers jumped out in unison and each grabbed a corner. “1, 2, 3 - HEAVE! 1, 2, 3 - HEAVE!” They had that thing out of the water in no time. It had all the glass and most of the interior removed, with some dryer hose for a snorkel. Total investment: $50. The Blazer bikini girls were not amused.

Now is where we hit that hole in photos where pictures were taken on digital cameras and stored on hard drives that either died a long time ago or are not easy to pull anything off of anymore. I put everything in the cloud now.

I went to school away from home and ‘wheeled with a club up in Fairbanks for a while. The problem was, I just did not have the budget to keep up with the repairs that came along with ’wheeling an older rig. I was spending a ton of money and just barely staying up on that treadmill when things were going well, let alone when they were going poorly.

About 2003 I had Mark Whatley rebuild my engine and do some of his signature tweaks. It ran great and could start at -60* Fahrenheit, no problem. Those old gearboxes do not like shifting at that temperature, though! It took two hands to work the shifter in the mornings until things got warmed up a bit. I was driving it every day and still doing stupid stuff after school.

About May of 2005, a friend and I were playing around one day and accidentally jumped it off a large dirt berm. I had zero intention of catching air but we were up so long that Darren had time to put his feet against the dash and brace before we hit.

Unfortunately, both Darren’s back and GIR have never been the same since.

When we got out the front tires were angled inward. I see on here all the time that nobody bends the front housing in the center - well, I have. I put new wheel bearing in and limped it back south to Anchorage at the end of the school year. Darren hooked me up with a friend parting out a (claimed to be) 1979 and I had an entire front axle air freighted from Kodiak to Anchorage. Backhaul from the Alaska bush is cheap because otherwise the plane flies empty; Alaska Airlines only charged me $0.22/pound. Had to cut the old housing in half to get the long side shaft out! The new axle worked great but it still has the small birfs and older knuckles. At least I was theoretically back where I started and could drive again.

Unfortunately I had less than 500 miles on it before the transfer case started making noise. I think something happened in the landing. Rather than let it blow up on the highway I limited my driving to the least, and slowest, amount possible. Basically to the emissions check, which it failed due to non-stock equipment (they never even sniffed it), and then to my friend’s driveway (seen in the first post). I took the carburetor off to re-smog it and shortly after that the project faded into the background since I no longer could drive it to where I could wrench nor could I afford to keep flushing money. There it sat for a long time.

Eventually my wife and I finished school and moved to Juneau. The problem with Juneau is that it’s off the road system - you get here via boat or plane (mostly; I know a few people who have walked out over the icefield to Canada). So getting GIR here was not going to be easy and would take a lot of planning.

One day I got a phone call. My friend who’s house it was sitting at? Well, that was a rental. He was buying his own place and I had a week to get my ‘40 out or it would be hauled to the scrapyard. Oh, crap! I bought a plane ticket to Anchorage on short notice and called a really good friend for a really big favor. We drove up, rented a trailer, and hauled it back to my sister and brother-in-law’s house in Wasilla. It got parked out back next to his high school hot rod pickup and sat there for a couple years.

Amusingly, it managed to get into a two vehicle accident with a moose back there. A bull moose decided to go between the trucks and got caught up. My FJ40 is a lot tougher than my BIL’s Chevy because mine came out unscathed but his got pretty beat up. The neighbors saw the whole thing or we would have never believed it.

We bought a house in 2013 and my dad retired in 2016. It was finally time to reunite me with GIR. Rented a trailer and loaded up all the crap that was still at my parents house, plus my inheritance motorcycle (Dad proposed to Mom while they were out riding - I can never get rid of that bike!), and drove 800 miles down the AlCan to the Haines ferry terminal like this:
248F85FF-CE68-4797-8FD7-AB3F5887FCB7.jpeg

Got to my house and the day after we arrived, before unloading, a drill rig showed up to put in four wells for the ground source heat pump we were installing. What timing, eh? I’d been working for 18 months to get that drill rig into town and they show up right when I have stuff in the driveway.

We scrambled to unload and get everything out of the way; thankfully we have a covered shed that’s a great place to park something outside since this is a rainforest. Unfortunately the shed was full of construction debris at the time because we’d just finished a full remodel of our mother in law apartment, but this gives an idea of where things sit:
A529A75B-3504-4E15-B942-6BD4DF7120E9.jpeg

(taken from the top of the drill rig after they’d left for the night)

Cleared out the shed, put it up on wood blocks to keep things off the dirt, and here is how it has sat for the last 4 years:
04F46A1B-11AA-4621-9132-7B837E4EEA7A.jpeg

Time for some tech! Finally!

As far as I can remember, the engine ran great when the carburetor was removed. Unfortunately that was 13 years ago and I know better than to drop a carburetor on and try to start it.

I’ve finally gotten enough other projects out of the way that I can take over my shop with Land Cruiser stuff. Under our MIL apartment is a 20x32 (exterior - since this is Alaska the walls are a foot thick and it’s really 18x30) garage space. Our ‘main house’ also has a garage so we can do anything in the shop and still park our car inside at night. It is SO NICE to be able to to just walk away when you get frustrated!

Sunday I went into the shed with the intention of pouring Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders to lube the piston rings before I drag it inside and start work. I have a $25 wifi borescope so I figured I would look in each cylinder first. Well, this is #1:
903F872D-0F99-4535-BA48-528FD3297332.jpeg

B8765C75-3267-4B65-93C1-A791EBDE08FC.jpeg

Well, crap.

That engine has less than 5,000 miles on it 😢

I guess I’d better get started on how to remove it. Unfortunately it came without lifting hooks; in my pile of parts I seem to have picked up a couple so it’s time to start the rust removal process. I have now officially cleaned up 1 (one) part and painted it with primer.
9D40A02A-4A17-4568-9F93-BF84E1DC23DE.jpeg

Every project has to start somewhere, right?

This thread is going to take years. Until Sunday I had been hoping I could clean it up and be on the road shortly, bringing it inside to take off a piece at a time and work on that as I could. So much for that idea. I’ve been told that projects like this need a commitment to do something every day, no matter how small. I think I can budget a little time after work most days to get a tiny bit done so that’s what I’m going to do.

Great story. Can barely wait for this thread to keep unfolding!

Subscribed :bounce2:

Thanks, man! I honestly don’t know if I’m posting for myself or other people. I’m going to try to throw in a few tech things that I know I want to see; somehow I’ve amassed a pretty big pile of random parts over the years, many of them semi-rare. I bought (and sold) a Fairey overdrive, I have a PTO winch, I’ve got two transfer cases (one 3 speed FJ40 and one 4 speed FJ55, which I only learned after has a different parking brake setup)...How I managed to keep that much together in all this, I don’t know. I do know that a bunch of stuff did not make it, such as the FJ60 axles I bought in Fairbanks or a decent number of tools.

I’m not starting from scratch but it sure feels like it.

Thanks, man! I honestly don’t know if I’m posting for myself or other people. I’m going to try to throw in a few tech things that I know I want to see; somehow I’ve amassed a pretty big pile of random parts over the years, many of them semi-rare. I bought (and sold) a Fairey overdrive, I have a PTO winch, I’ve got two transfer cases (one 3 speed FJ40 and one 4 speed FJ55, which I only learned after has a different parking brake setup)...How I managed to keep that much together in all this, I don’t know. I do know that a bunch of stuff did not make it, such as the FJ60 axles I bought in Fairbanks or a decent number of tools.

I’m not starting from scratch but it sure feels like it.

12XDYvMJNcmLgQ.gif

Good story for sure.

I’m posting so I can always get your updates. Good luck with it!👍

great story! Can't wait to see more.

Keep at it no matter how small the work is. I just did a full rebuild on my BJ74 engine a year ago. It was over the winter, I have big shop thats heated by wood stove so not really convenient to warm up quickly. I would try to do something almost everyday before work. Most of that work in the 20~30mins I set aside was cleaning. Even if it was bolts or brackets. Just cleaning, degreasing and getting ready. It really helped out in the end.
Looking back there was a TON more I should have done...axle rebuild, brakes..but wait I'm getting to do that next week...

I’ve had this H42 laying around, I’m not sure where it came from, but I *think* it came out of an FJ55.
4115B6E1-77C6-4F0F-8CDD-D8D54BC2E367.jpeg

Does that output shaft look okay? I think I may have bought it attached to a 4 speed case (which I had planned to replace my noisy one with) so the rusty shaft is probably my fault. The reason I think it came from an FJ55 is that the parking brake was wrong for a ‘40, which precluded me swapping the whole thing over assembled as one unit.

I popped the top and all the synchros look good.
4E560A59-716E-4F1C-AF40-DDE967F4522A.jpeg

What causes this wear on the teeth? I saw it on what I *think* are 3rd and 1st: (I just noticed the missing teeth, is that also okay?)
97E5DC36-A457-4471-B714-E3B500E20DAA.jpeg

No more ‘cruiser time for tonight, though, I picked up a reel rebuilding hobby last winter and I need to get a few more cranked out before Memorial Day weekend.
9292961F-EF3E-4E24-BD57-F40BA3FA21FC.jpeg

I need to have a talk with my dad about taking better care of his reels, if only so I don’t have to spend two hours scrubbing corrosion off before I can lubricate one...
E0872C3A-0A27-401A-971D-F90E3FA1A6D9.jpeg

Well, I got dragged home with a strap today...
1E5550BC-1127-4899-99E2-3383C8136F51.jpeg

But wait! Why would I need to be towed home if my ‘cruiser is already in the shed?

It’s the old bait and switch! I bought a parts truck, this is now an FJ62 thread for a while:
974D01B6-60F3-4E2A-8511-8E040B8B9759.jpeg

This is a 1988 FJ62 I picked up from the brother-in-law of another ‘mudder. He said it ran great until a few weeks ago when it just died. Nothing happens when you turn the key; he thinks it’s the ignition control module. I’m not so sure about that, when you turn the key *nothing* happens. I think it’s probably something related to these wires hanging off the battery negative post:
729E6A71-2E76-4D6C-B8BB-4257664141AB.jpeg

Unfortunately, I won’t be able to do much wrenching as I hurt myself lifting the transmission back off the bench from my last post. Three x-rays later I know it’s a tendon injury, not a broken bone. Nobody knows how long this will take to heal...
C01FC7F9-922F-4D14-94BD-856B0DA656D5.jpeg

I hadn’t even noticed that you started a thread. Great stories to go with it. I had some great years in Fairbanks, but I never find myself missing out on minus sixty, especially before synthetic lubes, EFI and decent block heaters. Oh, and rare days below minus 40 anymore. You’ve got a long history with your 40.

It briefly stopped raining today so I played a bit with the parts truck. Battery read 1.95 volts this morning so I put on a charger and had it cranking by lunch. It was great to hear it crank since that means it isn’t seized!

Unfortunately it didn’t start. I smelled a little gas (probably have a vacuum leak to deal with) so my thought was spark. Timing light didn’t flash off the coil so I got looking closely and found this:
1F3A40F1-E9E6-4540-98D7-BEC5EF56B565.jpeg

That would definitely prevent it from sparking!

I tried taking off the nut to get an ohms reading on that nasty post and this was the result:
108299E3-A60F-4B34-81C7-704025E0F6F5.jpeg

New coil is in order! I have a spare from my ‘76 2F before I converted to HEI but it reads 2.4 ohms and was originally for a points ignition so I’m thinking I’ll just order a new coil and be sure that’s not my problem. But if the 2F coil would get the 3FE running and not damage anything, I’d be willing to give it a shot. Anybody know if that’s okay?

Great thread. You called it a parts truck, are planning to put the 3FE in the 40?

It's my experience that borescopes make things look MUCH worse than it really is. BTW, that first picture looks a lot like one of my kidney stones after lithotripsy.

Time for some tech! Finally!

As far as I can remember, the engine ran great when the carburetor was removed. Unfortunately that was 13 years ago and I know better than to drop a carburetor on and try to start it.

I’ve finally gotten enough other projects out of the way that I can take over my shop with Land Cruiser stuff. Under our MIL apartment is a 20x32 (exterior - since this is Alaska the walls are a foot thick and it’s really 18x30) garage space. Our ‘main house’ also has a garage so we can do anything in the shop and still park our car inside at night. It is SO NICE to be able to to just walk away when you get frustrated!

Sunday I went into the shed with the intention of pouring Marvel Mystery Oil into the cylinders to lube the piston rings before I drag it inside and start work. I have a $25 wifi borescope so I figured I would look in each cylinder first. Well, this is #1:
View attachment 2313134
View attachment 2313133

Well, crap.

That engine has less than 5,000 miles on it 😢

I guess I’d better get started on how to remove it. Unfortunately it came without lifting hooks; in my pile of parts I seem to have picked up a couple so it’s time to start the rust removal process. I have now officially cleaned up 1 (one) part and painted it with primer.
View attachment 2313141

Every project has to start somewhere, right?

This thread is going to take years. Until Sunday I had been hoping I could clean it up and be on the road shortly, bringing it inside to take off a piece at a time and work on that as I could. So much for that idea. I’ve been told that projects like this need a commitment to do something every day, no matter how small. I think I can budget a little time after work most days to get a tiny bit done so that’s what I’m going to do.

Great thread. You called it a parts truck, are planning to put the 3FE in the 40?

It's my experience that borescopes make things look MUCH worse than it really is. BTW, that first picture looks a lot like one of my kidney stones after lithotripsy.

🤢🤮

Swapping the 3FE into my FJ40 is a real possibility. I’m not 100% sure which parts I’m going to use, but as of today I have a sweet running (and driving) FJ62!

It was the coil. I swapped my 2F coil on for a test and it fired right up. No funny noises, transmission shifts great, no obvious exhaust leaks. I took it for a spin to get everything up to temp and the check engine light didn’t come on so I’ll count this as a major win. It idles a bit high but that would probably resolve itself with a tune-up.
925CB540-A259-47A3-A8DF-9DDCA0EEA98E.jpeg

For reference, this is the 2F coil vs the dead 3FE coil:
5C915DC6-D809-4B3E-AFB4-185CDB9D45E0.jpeg

I have a new OEM coil on order, as well as a bunch of tune-up parts. The windshield sticker says the oil was last changed 3,000 miles ago - in 2013.

The 3FE high idle is notorious. Do the set up of the throttle body and throttle position sensor per the FSM first. Check to see the TPS resistance is in spec. On mine, the throttle plate was not going full closed so I had to move the locking nut for the adjustment screw to the other side to get the screw to go in far enough to close the throttle. Also the air bypass adjustment screw on the throttle body should be full closed, idle air is controlled by the idle air control valve. It's worth removing the throttle body and cleaning the gunk out of it and do the setup on the bench.

The 3FE high idle is notorious.

Roger that, thanks! I’m going to do a general tune-up first, though. Some of the vacuum hoses crumble in my hands and I’m sure that’s not helping anything. Start simple and work my way up.

Good news is, with a running ‘62 I can still drag my ‘40 into the shop and get started on it. I have a *lot* of stuff other than the engine that needs addressing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom