What does the defrost hoses attach to under the dash? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

macdaddy59

SILVER Star
Threads
So I am working on the interior heater and am doing a refurb on the underdash heater assembly. I have sourced some hose and elbows for the heater box. I am stumped as to what the defrost hose attaches to under the dash. Can anybody give me a shout or better yet a pic?

look up under it. there are round formed parts of the dash/tub up there, you cant miss them.

edit
pretty sure this is them.

dec12GEDIT.jpg

Last edited:
Here are some pictures from my 1978. This is where the hose connects.View attachment 2502900
View attachment 2502901
This may answer a question that I have as well. I just rebuilt my front heater, and the defroster tubing that run up to the windshield vents were pretty trashed where the tube should connect to these vents. There was duct tape holding the tubing together at the top. There also seems to be an additional piece of sheetmetal tubing extending down from the vents that your pictures show. I'll get a flashlight and mirror and get a better look. Hopefully if a sheetmetal extender tube was added it wasn't done in a way that will add a lot of work.

This may answer a question that I have as well. I just rebuilt my front heater, and the defroster tubing that run up to the windshield vents were pretty trashed where the tube should connect to these vents. There was duct tape holding the tubing together at the top. There also seems to be an additional piece of sheetmetal tubing extending down from the vents that your pictures show. I'll get a flashlight and mirror and get a better look. Hopefully if a sheetmetal extender tube was added it wasn't done in a way that will add a lot of work.

what year are you working on? there are some differences thru the years

As an aside, my hoses and lower elbows were good but the top rubber coupler was hard and split...I just ended up using some 2.5" silicone couplers. They fit over the corrugated hose as well as the snouts up top in the dash, and should hold up well to the heat. (The hose and the opening on the dash are the same size, so some coupler is needed)

Got in there with my phone camera, it doesn't look good:
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 2.01.38 PM.png
I haven't looked at the passenger side yet, that may be better or worse. I don't know what the hole at the bottom of the picture is supposed to be, either. Is it possible to remove the vent somehow?

Kind of blurry, but the passenger vent looks better. Guess I should have waited to put the air duct back on:
Screen Shot 2021-10-18 at 2.31.04 PM.png

I don't see any protrusions to hold the tubing on, though.....

second pic is what it should look like, first pic has been hacked by a PO

the later defrost ducts are 1 piece plastic and fit over the round piece shown in the second pic

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom