what does "reability" really mean.... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Would I hesitate to take my wife's 2003 hundy across country? Nope... all I would do is change the oil, check the fluids, tire pressure and roll.... However, in my 80, might be a different story. I would want the front axle re-done ( my rig has 190k miles,) the HG done and other assorted items. I know everybody says how reliable these trucks are, but what does that really mean. Anybody on this board would take their Chevy Tahoe, Camry or whatever across country, but when it comes to the 80, lots of PM'ing is needed.

So when all the gear heads on this board say their 80 is ubber reliable, is that cause they can fix anything on the spot? What about he CPA who owns one, somebody that doesn't have the time or knowledge to wrench. I guess my question is, are 80's reliable cause gear heads PM the sh&t out of them, or would the CPA who can't wrench take his or her 80 across country without worry?

Last edited:
Well....

Well a lot of people get these truck's(Me) that need a little work(Bad Axel seal), or don't know the history. And might be a little cautious to go cross country. Like right now I know I need to do my u-joint's, so I don't go to far(300 mile round trip) They are fine, just on my To-Do list....mine is a 92. They could be OEM? 226K

Do your PM's.......Give your tuck love and she will love you back.

Last edited:
My 80-series, properly maintained is totally reliable ,and, with 221k miles on it, I wouldn't hesitate to drive it on a thousand mile trip tomorrow. Original HG. By the way, my Dad's Tahoe had the tranny go out at 40k miles, and he just traded it off at 100k miles because..... the tranny was going out, AGAIN ! I'd put my old 80-series up against that rig any day.

Last edited:
You need to look through the fog of the typical obsessive compulsive anal retentive MUD member and see the clearer picture.

Does your truck really need to have the headgasket redone because it leaks or you've heard that it is a possibility?
Are your front axle seals leaking badly or you just heard that they should be looked after?

My truck is 19 years old with 225K miles on the ticker. When things break I fix them. I really wouldn't think too hard about a cross country trip with it other than the cost of fuel.

My 97 has never let me down...however Dodge 5k in repairs in three years, Ford...new tranny, Chevy...don't even get me started...keep doing the maintenance and they seem to roll forever, can't say that for the domestic's plus check the depreciation on some of the new rides...OMG.

I'm just saying...that's all :cheers:

You might want to add durable, as well. I have 195k and have only been on the side of the road once. It was for a broken belt. They both went at the same time, or one went taking the other with it. Fortunately I was 5-miles from home when it happened. Never been down on a trip, while towing, on the road, wheeling, etc.......

I wouldn't hesitate for a minute to change the oil, air the tires and take any long distance trip without doing anything other than carrying necessary supplies.

Ill probably get banned for saying this... but a lot of people on this board probably over do some of the PM'ing. But its because they love their vehicle. Reliable to me is my 80 I bought with 104k miles and now has 170k, which has never left me on the side of the road, and I do pretty basic service to. In the five years ive had it Ive flushed the tranny fluid once, tires, spark plugs, and done oil changes and birf seals once. You could not name a place I would not get in and go right now without a worry.

To be 100% honest, this forum is a bunch of OCD people! The 80 series is probably one of the most dependable vehicles ever but like any piece of machinery, it needs to be maintained. You don't have to do all of the PM's, it's just a good idea to. Better be safe than sorry, right?

If it ain't broke, don't fix it. I'm not going to mess with my HG unless I see an indication that it is going out. I'm not going to mess with a front axle service until I see some grease leaking out (or I reach whatever the recommended service mileage is....131k on the clock now)

The 80 series is very reliable if maintained. Something is bound to fail on ANY high mileage vehicle if maintenance is neglected for too long.

Just because you have to repair or maintain a vehicle doesn't mean its not reliable, but if you continually have crap breaking or the same part leaving you stranded that is un-reliable. The 80 series needs some love, its 13+ years old and needs item taken care. Once taken care you will run great for many more mile than compared others.

I bought my 95 130K LC to replace my 02 85K Explorer. The Explorer was bought new by my mother in law and has always been well maintained. I've owned it for about 5 years. I've done a lot of maintenance on the LC, but no repairs (other than what I broke, oops).

I've owned both for less than year and the LC gets driven far more. In that time, on the Explorer I've replaced the AC system, replaced one hub (3 down, one to go), rear struts (coils broke - never towed or hauled heavy loads), replaced a seized caliper, and a half dozen little things.

If anybody is in the market for a low mileage, very clean, well maintained Explorer, it will be on a DC area Craigslist in the near future. That's all true, but it doesn't make the car reliable.

I will say it has never left me stranded either and I would take it across the country. But I would probably be fixing stuff along the way.

Now, is my 95 LC as reliable as 2009 Lexus ES350? No. But very few 15 year old, 100K+ vehicles can come close.

I have a 97 with 230k. My wife has a 2005 Z71 Tahoe she bought new with 60k. We have a 3yr old boy. I would take the cruiser before the Tahoe across the country. I just took a 200 mile trip and drove 90mph the entire way to a cycling event. Just add gas and keep the oil changed regularly and you should have nothing to worry about. Just my 2cents............ Take it for what it's worth.

I did a 6500km round trip last year with the family. Didn't worry at all. I did the normal stuff like changing the oil, checked the fluid, brought along some extra belts and fluids just incase and off we went. My front Axel needed to be done but I didn't have time so I just monitored it along the trip and it was fine. I am planing the same thing this sumer and will do the same thing, but the axel will get done before we leave this time.

Like other people have said you could PM your truck to death but if it's not broke then y fix it.

Just my 2 cents

Cheers

I would say, with 190k on it, you will be amazed at how tight it will be after replacing the kingpin bearings while doing your axle !!! Maybe it doesn't leak, but all those bearings have served their life and need to be replaced.

Maintain the thing like any other vehicle. Belts, hoses, batteries, O2 sensors, plugs, cap and rotor, vacuum lines, fluids, filters, bearings, etc. etc. are all "wear items" and have a certain life. Replace them on schedule and the rig will treat you well. I can't say the same for most other vehicles.

I totally agree with jonheld and retrofive.

HG's are done when they fail, not proactively. Like rear main seals, for example. Unless you have the tranny off for another reason, does one "proactively" just tear into it to replace the rear main, because eventually it will leak? No. When it leaks badly enough, you replace it. Again, lots of rigs out there with original HG's.

Just give the old TLC some TLC and she'll treat you right !!!

Would I hesitate to take my wife's 2003 hundy across country? Nope... all I would do is change the oil, check the fluids, tire pressure and roll.... However, in my 80, might be a different story. I would want the front axle re-done ( my rig has 190k miles,) the HG done and other assorted items. I know everybody says how reliable these trucks are, but what does that really mean. Anybody on this board would take their Chevy Tahoe, Camry or whatever across country, but when it comes to the 80, lots of PM'ing is needed.

So when all the gear heads on this board say their 80 is ubber reliable, is that cause they can fix anything on the spot? What about he CPA who owns one, somebody that doesn't have the time or knowledge to wrench. I guess my question is, are 80's reliable cause gear heads PM the sh&t out of them, or would the CPA who can't wrench take his or her 80 across country without worry?

I can't even tell you the number of times my friend's Tahoe & Silverado were in the shop for multi-thousand dollar repairs, fortunately he bought extended warranties.

PM'ing (Preventative Maintenance) is done because most of us don't know the complete history of our rides & many use the 80 to their limits. My '93 has 150K plus (not sure, the odometer was broken when I bought it) & I would take a cross country trip tomorrow, without hesitation.

How many miles are on the Hyundai? Why do you think your HG & axle need service? Any leaks? Overheating? You need to compare apples to apples.

Ok, here is my take. I like to think that I fit in well with the other OCD mudders. I work on 40 year old helicopters for a living. VERY maintenance intensive. But also very reliable. I work on the helicopters alot, i know them inside and out, they are old, they are finicky, but I also will jump into any of them and fly anywhere I need to go at anytime, without a second thought. I don't mind "inspecting" my cruiser regularly. If something is off, I fix it as soon as I can find the time. Somethings just get old and only last so long. But when something fails, before it has met its useful life, than that is not reliable. That is when it leaves you stranded on the side of the road. That is when it gets a for sale sign put into the front window. I don't mind fixing it if she gives me some warning first. Bad wheel bearings at 160k? I think you got your moneys worth. A bad tranny in a 60k mile Yukon = not so much.

What I do find funny is that we compare our 13+ year old, 150k+ mile vehicles to something that is 6 years old with 80k miles. Not really apples to apples. And our annual NON-scheduled maintenance costs is still less than most.

My LX is completely stock with 170k. And it still impresses my friends on how it rides on the dirt roads. No squeaks, no rattles, just a nice ride. And they are riding on nice leather seats with enough leg room. This is truly a one of a kind vehicle. My problem is trying to figure out what I am going to do when this one dies. There really isn't anything comparable.
J

Just love it and drive it.
I had an old Camry once 250k on it and it leaked oil and I owned it since new.
Never took proper care of it either but it still ran like a top the day I traded it in.
If it aint broke do not fix it, monitor it.
The fact that we are comparing a 16 year old vehicle to 5 or 6 year old vehicles pretty much says it all for me.

Would I hesitate to take my wife's 2003 hundy across country? Nope... all I would do is change the oil, check the fluids, tire pressure and roll....

Would you take a hypothetical 1996 100 series across country without hesitation?
If I had a 2003 80 series, I would not hesitate to take it across the country.

I have a 1996 80 series and still would not hesitate to take it across the country.

80's are reliable because they don't break.

Everything needs to be maintained. Age and wear & tear are a part of life.:meh:
If one can't deal with it, just keep buying new.

80s are well-designed so everything can be rebuilt. They can run forever.

You can over-think and overkill any car preventative schedule. That's why cars are addictive. That's not 80 exclusive. Car nuts just get religious about their junk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom