What does LC2 mean? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
instagram.com
Hi. Pulled the 3-spd trans and t-case in my 73 fj40. After a ton of pressure washing, I found a yellow marking that says "LC2".

What does this mean? Does LC stand for Land Cruiser?
2018-07-02 20.18.44.jpg

Thanks!

Noticed the same on my '67 after doing the same! Curious as to the answer here.

There’s an old thread about this. Some said LR2.

Not sure if anyone has cracked these codes yet:hillbilly:

@Living in the Past might know about transmission codes

There’s a few picks here: Marion Rising: 1974 FJ40 FST

mark would have a better idea than myself. Seen it on some transmission. If the paint is still in good shape would not repaint it. One of the few things on this FJ40 someone looking for originally would look. Noticed the cruisers coming from south of the border have the engine serial on the VIN plaque. Curious why Toyota dropped that in the US market in the mid sixtes. One of the few things could prove it was original to the vehicle. All the other ways were paper work that rarely stayed with the vehicle. Could always just send a letter to Toyota to get that. I'm they would get right back to you with that info.:rolleyes:

My 73 has it also. Anybody know what it means?

D06DFC84-534D-4DFA-AFA8-4B3F351185D0.jpeg

Afaik from the once’s I had seen

The ...

C = Floor shift
R = Column shift

There are more than lr2 and lc2 off the top of my head there is also lrp2 that also is a column shift

When I looked into these ... tracked it down to assembly markings... so they knew what they were building... a column or floor shifter truck

Still a work in progress... have not seen enough to nail it down

Last edited:
What’s a vac shift on a transmission? Transfer yes but tranny?

This was on my 64.
I recreated it as close as possible.
No idea what it means.
Maybe upside down LC?

20160724_151022.jpg

This is the three speed I pulled out of my '70 FJ40.

DWS_1091.JPG

@JohnnyC a related question - if being assembled in Japan, why would they have used English letters/numbers rather than Japanese to help factory workers keep things straight during assembly?

(ok, another related question - where were the transmissions assembled?)

Quicker and consistency to use western characters afaik

They adopted a lot from American factory model especially at Toyota when MrT came to usa to see and study how Ford and others ran their factories... car factories in japan before the war were American automakers

There are several ways to write ... several alphabets ... etc in japan

On many early parts they date with a Showa number (emperor ?? era)

The imperial date has always afaik been YMD and therefore parts dated year/month/day (think casting stamp or carb stamp)

But ... who knows really why they do anything ... MrT did/does lots of wacky things :meh:

@thecrazygreek

Yours always a floor shifter?

As far as I know yes.

I always assumed the floor shift conversion was done at the dealer. But it now seems that it may have been done at the factory.

Just thinking out loud...

I can only assume the L was Land cruiser... if your in a warehouse and looking at a shelf of 200 or get the shipment of transmission... I can assume seeing and lr2 or lc2 or any that start with L can be distinguishable if with other truck trannys or other tlc trannys being used the same time... there were other painted codes as well as I mentioned there was also lrp2

There are trannys with very low gearing from our tlc that would look very close and be indistinguishable if they weren’t marked .... reverse shift patterns... for heavy trucks... etc

Been trying to find painted on the odd ball trannys and the heavy truck tranny to see what stamped on them ... but... no luck so far

@JohnnyC a related question - if being assembled in Japan, why would they have used English letters/numbers rather than Japanese to help factory workers keep things straight during assembly?

(ok, another related question - where were the transmissions assembled?)
The Japanese are fond of American culture and language. Most speak English. It's very common for them to use English characters and words.

FL7J

Here’s a new stamp I had not seen before ... still has an L

Early 74-75 USA 4 speed
76183040-C0D6-4389-B570-B31482C9EDC5.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom