What does a "Top End" job imply? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have my 81 2F motor out of truck and considering removing the head and taking it to NAPA to have reworked. That being said I don't really understand what is being reworked.

What exactly is a "Top End" job?

What steps do I need to take before removing the head?

i.e. Do I need to align some timing mark on crank gear etc.

Im sure this is a aggrevating question to you Master Mechanics, but it's not my expertise. Thanks in advance....

a top end job means anything to do with the head as in valves, valves sets and so forth. you can line up the timming marks as you reinstall it

remove head and take to napa thats all. if you take it to a motor builder shop you can always have them do a little extra for hp since its already off as in port it, when you take it apart make sure you get the push rods and what ever esle back in the same spot. the push rods are mated to the lifters. unless the cams on top

Last edited:
In my world, a top-end job includes new rings and honing the cylinders in addition to a valve job. YMMV.

You could align to TDC on the compression stroke. Do a search. Remove the tension on the valves that are depressed (loosen rocker adjustment). Remove the rocker assy. per manual. Take a block of wood and drill 12 holes in a row. Number the wood 1 to 12 and pull the push rods and stick them in the holes. Put the wood block someplace where it won't tip over.;)
Loosen the head bolts in order per the manual.

2X with 1911, top end job is rings. Lower end is bearings. Head job is rebuilding the head.

You don't need to align any timing marks to do a valve job on a 2F because it is push rod design with the cam in the block.

You don't need to align any timing marks to do a valve job on a 2F because it is push rod design with the cam in the block.

x2.

This is also a good opportunity to shave a little off the head.

If you're getting a quote (or have been offered a certain price) for a "top end job" then be wary because it can mean different things to different people and gives them too many options to rip you off.

Ask them to be specific on what they intend to do and on what their price actually covers and doesn't cover.

My 2c.

When someone tells me they are doing a "top end" job... I would think that meant pistons, rings, and a head rebuild. Leaving the "Bottom end'" crank and bearings alone. I am a old dirt-bike guy so maybe I am screwed up.:meh:

I think what I need is a head job. No pun intended.:hmm:

But I will replace rings while I'm in there. If after I pull the head the cylinder walls are scored then I guess I will go balls out and rebuild the whole shooting match. I did inspect the lower bearings and they appeared to be fine.

Can the cylinder walls be honed without removing the crank and pistons?

I have an older thread where I posted pictures of the bearings and it was the consensus of many to just run them. That being said the pushrods and rocker arm assembly look pretty black as if oil hadn't been changed often by P.O. Or is that normal?

I see pictures of others engines and they seem much cleaner and shiny, not like what I've found. Also, I failed to run a compression check before removing motor. I am a self described amatuer.

Can the cylinder walls be honed without removing the crank and pistons?

crank yes, pistons no. You'll have to remove the connecting rods from the crankshaft and push the pistons up and take them out from the top of the block.

Today I called a fairly well known Land Cruiser vendor in my area and asked for name of good mechanic to do a valve job in my 2F head. He immediately suggested I not fool with it unless i was prepared to do a complete rebuild.
:bang:
His thought was if I freshen up the valves and head but use old pistons and rings I ran a very high chance of blowing the motor with weak lower end components. So unless I'm willing ti spend the Jack on complete overhaul then it's not worth doing anything at all.

So now I'm back to just running the motor!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom