What does a "Top End" job imply? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

There is some logic to that but sometimes different parts of the engine get rebuilt at different times. Like my rig with 175k mi on it, supposedly the lower end including the crank was gone thru at 125k, head regrind about 10k ago, the rings never touched. On that info I will expect to do a ring job at some point and probably won't touch the lower end or the head.

I did get a quote from local machine shop to do the valves and shave the head of $200 ~ $350. variance is there in case they run into more issues.

But I should be prepared to spend $2000 total if it turns out to need complete overhaul.

Any logic to just taking the head off and replacing head gasket?

Then I might get s chance to see the piston tops, valve surface and cylinder walls???

Any logic to just taking the head off and replacing head gasket?

Once you've gone through all the work of removing the head, doing a valve job is a no-brainer IMO. Have the head magnafluxed for cracks while it's at the machine shop. For that matter, I would go ahead and replace the front crankshaft oil seal at the same time too.

Then I might get s chance to see the piston tops, valve surface and cylinder walls???

Bingo. If you decide to hone the cylinders and put in new rings all you've got to do is drop the oil pan, which probably needs a new gasket anyway.

If I had to guarantee a rebuild(like a shop) then I would also want to do it top to bottom.
But this site is also about looking at a machine, specs and wear to determine the best path. I always relate expenditures to beer. $1000 saved buys me 50 cases of beer so I typically do the minimum required and drink a toast to good engine design.

I would go ahead and replace the front crankshaft oil seal at the same time too.

You mean the one that goes between the timing cover and the crank pulley?

I've already got it, a timing cover gasket and a rear main seal. I may need to buy another oil pan gasket if I end up dropping the oil pan to do rings, etc.

Freeze plugs with water behind them can rust thru on these older engines especially if the PO didn't use antifreeze for awhile. That said, I wouldn't touch them.

Wow, great advice. They cost around $0.50/pc and your machinist will probably install the ones in the head for next to nothing when he does the head job. Just replace them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom