What does a starter sound like when it sticks engaged? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As some of you know i have had a "click no starter" turn problem for a few days. I traced it to a bad pos batt clamp and maybe a old starter. So i ordered new clamps and a nee Denso starter just in case.

This morning i started the track abd popped the hood to replace a burned out driver head light. The moter was running perfectly but making a strange nose. Sounded like a "whiring" or intake/ vacume leak. Much louder on the intake side and sounded like comming from the rear where no belts or pullys are. I let it run while i changed the head light and figured i would listen closer when i was done with the head light. But i forgot and tuned the truck off as i finished head light.

When i started it back up it only made the sound for a min and then "click" and it went away.

So all that i can guess is that it could be some type of stick vacuum valve that closed becouse the truck was now warm.

But if you dont belive in coincidences then you need to consider starter since i am having starter problems.

No change in idle when the nice stopped. So vacuum leak gets less likely. The noise was not that loud except under the hood. But sounded strange. Hissing spinning rattly a little. If the stater was sticking does that sound kind of right?

Here is another thought. Can startera go bad where the get sticky/ corroded/ worn where it takes a lot of force to get them to move and engage/disengage? Would this take a lot of amps to make it move where the poor batt contact combined with that just didnt want to make it engage? Now today i was hearing not want to disengage?

Last edited:
You'd know if it was the starter...when you shut the truck off the starter would keep spinning.

What year?
On one of my '96 80s the starter stuck lit up the dash display like a Christmas tree and was very audible as the starter turns into a generator from the startup engine rev.

It will make the worst grinding noise you have ever heard in your life. I just replaced mine back in January (original starter) because it was sticking. I scared the hell out of me when it first happened. Pretty easy to change out though.

to me it sounds like an RC car motor running.

Hmmm. Didnt sound that horible. Just not the normal purring motor sound. I gues it was either not the starter or maybe the gear diasngaged but dint slide back 100% and was just touching the flywheel a little.

My starter stuck a while back (years ago). You would be hard pressed to not immediately know if that was the issue. It sounds just like when you start the truck, but when it actually starts, it gets even faster and louder. I recall it scaring the crap out of me.

I have had one stick on my old 4rumner you would know it, on my Chevy it would slide in and out and sound like rocks or something clanking around, did not sound like the runner at all

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom