What does a Diesel Transplant cost? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What have you installed?

Pics would be great.

Price

Who did the work, a shop or youself.

Thanks Much

As that is in Canada and diesels are readily available...that is the low end of the spectrum...the lowest, actually, that I have ever heard.

For contrast, to have a shop put in a Cummins 4BT or something like that, can be upwards of 15K-20K, The motor alone costing 5K (new-not remaned)

How do you get it to California??? you still have the import issues....Seems like you'd have to drive up there, do the transplant, not tell anybody...then drive it back...but this guy is in California...no way it would pass inspection with a diesel engine in a vehicle with a Gas VIN....

Am I wrong?

The only option for a diesel transplant that is legal in California is with a Mercedes om617a. Luke from 4x4labs has put one in a '40. That is not to say that people, through dumb luck, have been able to get some diesel transplants by the California DMV. But it is a crap shoot. If they say you have to take it to a referee, you are done for because the Mercedes is the only engine that is legal. And the Mercedes engine has to be newer than the fj60, as well.

I just read the OPs signature. He may be able to register it outside of California which opens up a lot more options. I put a 12H-T in my fj60. I got a steal of a deal on one for around $5,000. My dad and I did the initial work on it, pulling the 2F, converting the engine from 24v to 12v and some other prep work. I forget how much the prep work cost. We then had David (iron_giant) finish putting it in. I forget the exact numbers. I think the total cost was about $10k - $12k if you include the cost of the engine. I also put in a front ARB locker and did a few other things around the same time so I forget which cost what.

The 12H-T is an awesome engine. It's a 4L inline 6 with a factory turbocharger, gears instead of timing belts, quiet - I have 3" straight pipe with no muffler, very responsive, and an absolute joy to drive. Parts are a little hard to find but I haven't been stuck because of it. When I needed a part in Alaska, I had to pay more to get it shipped to Anchorage. I might be sending the turbo to Graeme in Australia who can mod it to make it even more responsive and efficient. I have to same my pennies for that conversion, though. I love my turbocharged diesel land cruiser. And off road it is absolutely awesome. Great torque and you can lug it without any problems if you happen to get in a situation like that. Anyways. Look around and given the present economy you might find a deal on a potential diesel transplant.

Other diesel options with their own set of pros/cons are the Isuzu 4BD1T, the Cummins 4bt, the Toyota 3B that you can aftermarket turbocharge, the Toyota 2H that some people turbocharge but other people claim it shortens its life because it lacks piston skirt cooling, and the 6.2L & 6.5L GM diesel. Oh and there is also the 13BT which is like the 12H-T but is a inline 4 cyclinder and I forget what the volume is, 3.xL And the 12H-T/13B-T is direct injection where as the 3B, 2H, and 1HZ is indirect injection. The Toyota 1HZ is also an great option. It is an inline 6 that is not turbocharged, although people usually do turbocharge it and Toyota is still producing the 1HZ so parts are still available.

:beer: Chad

You might want to call TLC in Van Nuys, here in the LA area.
Their work is too expensive for me, but for reference they would probably be able to answer the diesel question here in CA.
I know they have done a few diesels and I dont think any of them have been out of a Mercedes Benz.
I think they even did one on a 60 where they exported the diesel engine from Brazil because of the power output to MPH ratio....
You should also contact tlcrusierman on here... I believe he is out of San Diego and might be able to give yah a better figure since he is near yah.

Remember here in CA is who you know !!

The diesel from Brazil that was put into the 60 went to someone that does not live in California. It went to Arizona. There used to be a referee in the Bay Area that was letting some diesel transplants pass if you used WVO but he has since retired.

You might want to call TLC in Van Nuys, here in the LA area.
Their work is too expensive for me, but for reference they would probably be able to answer the diesel question here in CA.
I know they have done a few diesels and I dont think any of them have been out of a Mercedes Benz.
I think they even did one on a 60 where they exported the diesel engine from Brazil because of the power output to MPH ratio....
You should also contact tlcrusierman on here... I believe he is out of San Diego and might be able to give yah a better figure since he is near yah.

Remember here in CA is who you know !!

Trapper,

I put an Isuzu 4BD1T in my FJ60 this past fall and I love it. I am averaging 25-26 mpg. and it cost me a total of about $2800 for motor and adapters (www.isuzudieselswapper.com) with me doing all the work. This motor is similar to the Cummins 4bt but much quieter. Lots of torque and power.

Here is a video of it running and the other video on my channel is of it the day I installed it. The air cleaner was just taped on at the time. YouTube - longbowdon's Channel

Good luck!

Don

Another data point for you: A few years back I imported an 1983 BJ60 from BC. It was old enough that the import/safety problem was bypassed. If memory serves I got taken for 4k Cdn for the rusty tank with a used up tranny. (I probably could have gotten a better deal with a little more looking, but the owner lied to me and said all the rust had been removed and body repaired. Turned out to be a paint job. Caveat emptor, I guess.)

I then found a rust free donor for and hired a local shop to do the work. I've lost track of the itemized costs: labor, etc. Final tally including both rigs and a used H55 5 speed was around $10k. When I finished the project I was able to register it in Oregon as a diesel. I ended up selling it to a California guy who had no trouble registering it in the Bay area.

I'm myself looking into importing a diesel hj60 from canada. Infinitely easier than trying to bring in a Nissan Skyline. I'll tell you that from personal experience. You can find those up there for $3k easy. Import process is not hard at all, and clearing customs just requires a little extra paper work than normal. Just google the process, talk to customs, get your federal safety papers, and so on. Usually the hardest thing in importing something to the us is weather or not there is a comparable model. For example, you can't bring a skyline in because A: it doesn't pass federal safety standards, and there wasn't a comparable model made. You can import a RHD Civic Type R from Japan super easily though, all you have to do is switch out the windshields for safety shields, and get a MPH speedo.

Anyways that seems like the cheapest way to do it legally, and not have all the headaches of trying to switch fuel types/voltages.

I'll be doing this hopefully in the future.

Trapper,

I put an Isuzu 4BD1T in my FJ60 this past fall and I love it. I am averaging 25-26 mpg. and it cost me a total of about $2800 for motor and adapters (www.isuzudieselswapper.com) with me doing all the work. This motor is similar to the Cummins 4bt but much quieter. Lots of torque and power.

Here is a video of it running and the other video on my channel is of it the day I installed it. The air cleaner was just taped on at the time. YouTube - longbowdon's Channel

Good luck!

Don

Thats a fantastic swap! What gears are you running? 4.11's? What RPM's are you pulling with the 35's and h55f?

clint

Clint,

I'm running 3.70 gears and with the H55 and 35's I am doing 2150 rpms at 70mph. It cruises great and has plenty of power to climb the hills and pass on the freeway. My turbo was seized when I got it so I upgraded to a SVO mustang turbo that was a little bigger than the stock turbo and it has great acceleration and I haven't even turned up the fuel yet.

Don

I also went the Isuzu route in my 60, but with a 4BD2tc. The difference is the 2 is an IDI diesel and had an intercooler stock.

I'm running an H55 and 3.70's so mine is turning the same as Longbows at 70 mph. Also used the Isuzu Swappers kit. Very straight forward swap.

I'm very happy with the results, good performance, great fuel economy and I did the swap for around $3,000.00 with me doing all the work.

Check the link below to see my swap build.

Good luck no matter which way you go...But go diesel!

Doug

Clint,

I'm running 3.70 gears and with the H55 and 35's I am doing 2150 rpms at 70mph. It cruises great and has plenty of power to climb the hills and pass on the freeway. My turbo was seized when I got it so I upgraded to a SVO mustang turbo that was a little bigger than the stock turbo and it has great acceleration and I haven't even turned up the fuel yet.

Don

Hey Don,

Can you post up some pics and specs of the SVO turbo? Is this the T3 that Ford ran on the 2.3l? Any ideas on specs like the AR ratings and what boost these are pushing?

Thanks,

Clint

For toyota diesel options the diesel section here on Mud is great. If you are interested in other diesels there are better sites to get your engine specific info from. 4btswaps is going to be the best for the Cummins 4bt 3.9 and the B3.3 with some info on the Isuzu's and others.

Last edited:
Trapper,

Good luck!

Don

Im jealous ..... if I do another swap it will be a diesel.. with that Isuzu engine... looks and sounds sweet !!!

Dirtgipsy,

If I remember right the hotside is .53AR and the cold side was .60AR. It is just a little bigger than the factory turbo but it is a wastegate turbo whereas mine was just a freewheeling type that I replaced. And yes, this is the same turbo that was on the SVO 2.3, I think this one was from an 85'.

Manuchao,

I am the one who is jealous, I have drooled over your Alaska trip photos for a year now!

Don

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom