What do you want to see in Toyota Trails? (1 Viewer)

What do you want to see more of in Toyota Trails?

• Tech (like woody's hybrid axle article)

Votes: 40 20.0%
  • Maintenance (like how to adjust your valves)

Votes: 53 26.5%
  • Trail Reports (like Cruise Moab 05 for example)

Votes: 50 25.0%
  • Adventure (like the Tuby Explorer Series)

Votes: 32 16.0%
  • Non-Cruiser Stuff (like mini/tcaoma/4Runner)

Votes: 10 5.0%
  • Other: please post in thread!

Votes: 15 7.5%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tornadoalleycruisers.com
Just doing a little market research here;)

What do y'all want in yer magazine? Fill out the poll and let us know!

My patented catch phrase: Toyota Trails is filled thru member submissions, so, please back up your requests with submissions! Heck, we even pay a tiny little bit;)

chef

I need the tech for dummies like me who still like to rough up on cruisers : )

I am really enjoying the event coverage as well as the expeditions. TT is unique to TLCA and so are the marketing tactics ; )

A 100.

Sorry. I must have missed that one.

I voted for more adventure style articles. At the same time I realize that I may be in the minority there. To be honest Alan I think that Todd has done a very thorough job balancing the type of articles featured. Personally I'd love to see Mark W continue his extended prefaces to the tech section. I know his role is to answer questions but for me I look forward to his stories and occasional ideaological rants.

I know it is all based upon submission and I'm sure the selection can't be too great. (Otherwise how could I get two articles accepted in two years?) I think finding a way to increase the number of quality articles Todd has to choose from would be a decent goal. I know a lot of people write very long and eloquent write ups on MUD, Pirate, etc but don't want to take the effort to go through Trails. I struggle to not tell my stories while they're sitting on Todd's harddrive. The "Outside the Box" article I wrote was an opinion essay so it was easy to let Todd sit on it. The one that put my Taco on the cover killed me. I didn't tell my own club, I didn't post it on any boards. I was very excited about the trip and had to sit on it for 6 months. I think it's a major hurdle for submission. Of course seeing my Taco on the cover (and my words in the pages) more than made up for the waiting. Okay I'm rambling. sorry.

dm(aspiring Trails contributor)c

Last edited:
I would like to see (along with the stuff I am already seeing) is more pictures, maybe wheeling pointers? and trip reports (with lots of pictures) from events that aren't as common as the big shows. I am not saying that Moab and Rubithon are over played, just woudn't mind seeing some different stuff here and there.
Cheers,
Deny

I'm going to be selfish and tell you what I would want;
More group adventure stories & feature rigs like 100's, 80's. Some articles about Aussie & S. African LC trips would be great too.

I want the magazine to show friends what the Toyota culture is all about. I don't really care too much about the tech since I go to the internet for specific answers and quick followup (although I remember TT saying many readers don't use the net).

Just as an example, Cruiserdrew does these fantastic trip writeups and I4C4LO takes incredible photos.. it would be nice to record these great adventures in print rather than buried in the forums somewhere. THere was a great thread about a group 80's trip to Colorado w/ fantastic pics- some house on a cliff for sale...remember that thread? I still want to go to Colorado and that thread made me want to go! To me, these are more permanent topics that you can go back to again and again in magazines.
Just my 2 cents

dmc said:
The one that put my Taco on the cover killed me. I didn't tell my own club, I didn't post it on any boards. I was very excited about the trip and had to sit on it for 6 months. I think it's a major hurdle for submission. Of course seeing my Taco on the cover (and my words in the pages) more than made up for the waiting.

It was very much appreciated.

TJK

FirstToy said:
Just as an example, Cruiserdrew does these fantastic trip writeups and I4C4LO takes incredible photos.. it would be nice to record these great adventures in print rather than buried in the forums somewhere.

You're preaching to the choir here.

TJK

Deny said:
and trip reports (with lots of pictures) from events that aren't as common as the big shows.

Funny, I was just discussing this very idea with someone here.... :D

TJK

wow, tuff call.
I voted adventure, but I actually want to see ALL of the options in the zine!
I agree you guys are doing a great job of keeping the mix balanced :cheers:

I'd love to see more modification tech like woodys article, or the simple stuff like the FJ60 PS conversion. We just have to talk some of the guru's into doing it...

I enjoy all the trail reports (wrote one myself) and 2nd the Mark W *thoughts this month* preface.

I have to say that big beautiful pictures of exotic locales get me going though! Nothing like being taken away on some big adventure while reading on your lunch break!

keep up the good work!!!

I'm sure some of this has been covered at some point in a TT
Cheap easy tricks? ie...How to get more flex from SUA, Extending wheelbases, cooler/tire bumper builds...
Newbie Tech section? how to change a birf, rear brake adj, carb tuning.....
And more event coverage

oh and a newbie guide for a F to 2F swap would really help me this month ;)

I think the balance is really good as it is...though I think it would be more useful to also include some of the following:

1. CruiserDrew style write-ups...I was thinking the NorCal guys should publish a compilation of all of their journeys in and around CA. It would be very John McPhee-ish...

2. Newbie tech is a good one I think as well.

3. More concentration on what vendors are doing--the Slee 100 was a good one. Maybe one on ULC, or Bobby Long, or Ken Hanna.

4. Aussie stuff--they are awesome...

5. Write-ups like the one DMC did about being 'inside' and 'outside' the box...quasi-philosophical (in an LC sort of way).

In any event, even if things didn't change much, I'd still read it front to back, back to front, and on the john as I already do... ;)

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

I agree with a newbie Tech section. Maybe even in a simple tricks/mods format. The biggest draw for me to a club was learning about my truck. Learning all the basics is essential to being comfortable off road I think. Good suggestion Phishtaco.

Pull spent F motor. Install sweet running 2F motor. Voila!

It really is that simple if you want to keep the three speed tranny;)

As far as finding one, talk to Metal Spice, who knows Fryman, Elbisser and a bunch of other folks to help you run leads.

phishtaco said:
I'm sure some of this has been covered at some point in a TT
Cheap easy tricks? ie...How to get more flex from SUA, Extending wheelbases, cooler/tire bumper builds...
Newbie Tech section? how to change a birf, rear brake adj, carb tuning.....
And more event coverage

Chef said:
Pull spent F motor. Install sweet running 2F motor. Voila!

It really is that simple if you want to keep the three speed tranny;)

As far as finding one, talk to Metal Spice, who knows Fryman, Elbisser and a bunch of other folks to help you run leads.

But but I already have a 4speed ;)
SpaceGhost is setting me up with a 2F thats in the corner of his garage. Now if you could send tools, an understanding wife, more vacation time and a bigger brain that would be great!
I'm going to hit ROR meeting this week.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom