What do you tow your 80 with? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

It's crazy how many people see a commercial with a manufacture claiming max tow and payload numbers and think they can go get a fully loaded crew cab and do the same thing. There should be some liability there somewhere but at some point thee needs to be a little common sense used by the people buying the vehicle.

I don't get how that article is getting so much attention. 25000 miles on that thing and he is full of crap thinking it was 6500lbs total payload when the camper dry is 5000. He was at that with a full tank of water, fuel and two people. He has crap hanging off that thing everywhere and a 300lb bike + carrier and two battery capacity on the back on top of that. No way that thing drove good. They were 1500-2000 over payload. That's crazy. I have drove the F-150 a short distance @ only 300 over payload and it wasn't fun.

Makes me wonder how many here are way over payload on their loaded 80. I know I'm one of them now lol... Good thing they didn't have the yellow stickers back in the 90's ...

Looks like some dodge frames have been cracking...https://www.thedrive.com/news/broken-ram-3500-dually-shows-a-camper-can-still-overload-a-big-truck

Every truck has a sticker on the door jam that tells you just what that truck can haul.
My friends Dodge Diesel 2500 has a payload 2100lb that includes everything, passengers, any cargo, camper, trailer tongue weight.
A heavy trailer will eat up more than half of that capacity 1200 to 1500 lbs add passengers and gear and your done before you put anything in the bed 🤷‍♂️

Even over loaded I would not expect catastrophic failure like that. I suspect there's a issue with the frame.

It's crazy how many people see a commercial with a manufacture claiming max tow and payload numbers and think they can go get a fully loaded crew cab and do the same thing. There should be some liability there somewhere but at some point thee needs to be a little common sense used by the people buying the vehicle.

I don't get how that article is getting so much attention. 25000 miles on that thing and he is full of crap thinking it was 6500lbs total payload when the camper dry is 5000. He was at that with a full tank of water, fuel and two people. He has crap hanging off that thing everywhere and a 300lb bike + carrier and two battery capacity on the back on top of that. No way that thing drove good. They were 1500-2000 over payload. That's crazy. I have drove the F-150 a short distance @ only 300 over payload and it wasn't fun.

Makes me wonder how many here are way over payload on their loaded 80. I know I'm one of them now lol... Good thing they didn't have the yellow stickers back in the 90's ...
This is all fake news. have you guys seen what happens in other countries? This moped was fine therefore, the Ram 3500 dually cited in the article was defective. :flipoff2:

a240f6a574f9c559ff5775597dd74800.jpeg

Damn @Feldrian maybe you had your answer all along... I looked at my brochure and the payload isn't too bad on the 97' 80. You could have popped the top on the Lexus and done a camper conversion and towed the Lexus and kept the GS...
1600lbs is 3/4 ton payload territory in some cases. These things are tanks.

1672421625674.png

This is all fake news. have you guys seen what happens in other countries? This moped was fine therefore, the Ram 3500 dually cited in the article was defective. :flipoff2:

View attachment 3205583
Actually, those containers are filled with Helium.
Lucky if he can keep that bike from becoming airborne.

Going to chalk that one up to Darwinism and not a bad design.

Chalk it up to the Chrysler corporation.

How many 80 series see thousands of miles on rough roads loaded over the limit with no catastrophic frame failures?
The article mentioned Dodge has a number of cracked frames. We're the others overloaded I wonder?

Probably not, but they are all Chrysler products 😂 🤣

@Feldrian in all seriousness your new truck will be bad a$$. I am sure it will be perfect for you and have zero problems. I am just jealous

Chalk it up to the Chrysler corporation.

How many 80 series see thousands of miles on rough roads loaded over the limit with no catastrophic frame failures?

Probably not, but they are all Chrysler products 😂 🤣

@Feldrian in all seriousness your new truck will be bad a$$. I am sure it will be perfect for you and have zero problems. I am just jealous
This is the funniest s*** I‘ve read all night.

“Your truck is a piece of s***!”
“Your frames gonna crack!”
“Mopar blows!”
……….

“But seriously. Your truck is actually awesome. Congrats and your frame definitely won’t crack. Probably”.

You can break ANYTHING if you try hard enough. Even those Oshkosh rigs they use to transport Abrams tanks have limits.

I'm hesitant to go diesel because they are expensive to maintain and repair which I'm sure you know. Also when I calculate out the difference in fuel mileage between the 2 and compared to the difference in the cost of the fuel itself it's basically a wash. This also makes me feel better in my decision to do a v8 swap on my 80 vs a 6bt swap. If I was towing really heavy than diesel may enter the equation.
That’s the excuse I used to not buy the truck I have now new back in 2007.

It depends on your situation. I am a mechanic, so I do everything myself. If I were paying a shop to do all of my maintenance and repairs, I could not afford to own 1/10 of the vehicles I have.

My dodge is nowhere near a daily driver. I use it for towing, hauling the camper, and keeping my cruisers out of the salt when I need 4wd in the winter. Still, the dodge gets 18.5mpg highway empty on 35’s. My old 8.1 gasser got 10 empty on 32’s. Even when diesel was $6/gallon the math did not work out in favor of the gasser with maintenance factored in (in my situation).

Fuel capacity/range while towing was another issue. 26 gallons @5mpg vs 34 gallons @11.5mpg.

Where the gasser clearly wins is in the Daily driver category. My diesel barely warms up by the time I get to work and it wakes up everyone within 1/4 mile of my house if I let it idle at 5am. Cold diesels get crap mileage, so letting my truck warm up for 15 minutes every morning to haul me and my lunchbox to work 10 mins away would not make much sense.

Good choice on the v8 swap in the 80. 6bt is way too much motor and too heavy for an 80 IMO.

“But seriously. Your truck is actually awesome. Congrats and your frame definitely won’t crack. Probably”.
Shouldn't be a problem, he ordered the short Bed 😝

Should work perfect for that, smooooth on the speed bumps 😝
And when I park diagonal across the disabled parking spots so I can run in and pick up my Four Loko and some vape juice I should only take up two stalls.

Officially ordered a 20' Diamond C LPX yesterday. Build time will be 6- 8 weeks.

Gross overkill for what i need, but an 80 on 37s is gross overkill for Costco runs too, so I'm staying in character.

I got rid of my Ram (2016) last December for $3k more than I paid for. Great tow rig, only had like 4-5 recalls. Ran Thuren front coils (2") and Trackbar, Method Mesh 18x9 (+18) with 37's. Towed the camper well, even with the 3.42 gears and 37's. I have 2022 F250 now...they all have their issues. I will say the Ram 2500 and airbags are a mixed bag (no pun intended) there's not much room for them.
IMG_0838.jpg

IMG_0668 (1).jpg

For trailers I went with the ALUMA car hauler for the SxS and the kids LX just fits and is under the GCVWR of the trailer as the trailer weighs 1,200# and is rated at 7,000#
IMG_2016 (2).jpg

i didnt do much planning on the length, i actually went to purchase a 20ft trailer that was identical to this one but they had sold it and only had this 22ft one. It was only a couple hundred dollars more than the one i wanted and i didnt have to wait for it so i bought the 22. this pic gives a little better perspective of how it fits on a 22ft trailer. wheelbase of the lexus is ~117.
20191006_093328-jpg.2100966

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom