What do you think this one owner 1970 Toyota Land Cruiser is worth? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would probably go with "vintage" myself, but I get your point.
Well, you can have vintage, even original paint and not be patina, but I would consider patina as heavily weathered and aged paint. I’m glad the word exists because it described a phenomenon that happens with very old vehicles. Vintage doesn’t quite do it.

I prefer "neglected", "abused", "mistreated" "rusty", "not cared for".

There's a a whole slew of words that imbue a more accurate picture.
I disagree. If a car is washed and cared for and maintained, but just parked outside, the sun will deteriorate the paint, and I would consider that “patina”

Ill wager $8500
without the rear floor rust and new upholstery 10-12k

If I was given one wish. One wish only.

I would have the word overlander removed from the universe
Fixed that for you.

Fixed that for you.
:D

I only hear that nonesense from the 4dummer and jeople. LOL But here on the plains, there isn't much of a reason. If they had any taste, they'd have a Cruiser. Or even a Rover

While overused, it's at least accurate. Patina went from a neutral word that I had only heard in reference to things like copper sinks or fixtures, to a strangely positive word. One that now some people look at my rig, and go "OMG I LOVE THE PATINA!!!"
OMG, it looks like it baked in the sun by some inherited rich a-hole that didn't have to kill himself for every single dollar, and didn't give two squeezes of monkey's dick about what he spent money on!
Which part do you love kitten? The failed paint? The oxygenated steel? The dents? The sloppy hinges? The facked up threads in random holes? The dash that same crack head that scraped together just enough money turning tricks at the truck stop to buy a stereo, then took an angry beaver to it so he could jam out to Lynyrd Skynard and get psyched up on his way home from the bar and beat on his wife and kids?

I guess I'm just angered by the use of the word patina to describe EVERY ding dong thing that is wrong with a vehicle. Pure Vida has a pretty good and accurate definition. It just seems the world has co-opted, and changed the definition. It's become a buzzword.

From what I’ve heard, it is borderline impossible to find a color matched body panel for a patina truck because every vehicle patinas differently because each vehicles conditions and situations are unique. The color would always be slightly off and noticeable. It would probably need serious paint work to match at all, and even then, with close inspection, it wouldn’t be perfect. Probably more effort than it’s worth.
when the rear of my truck was painted, we tried to match the patina front that wasn't touched - the new paint abuts the old at the seam in the door sills driver and passenger front

as far as matching: patina paint is dull, so you need a lot of flattener in the new paint - even the original paint code will produce a color for baby blue that's more yellowish than patina baby blue

between flatness and tone of the blue, we went back 4 times to the paint mixer - and while you won't see it, I can still see a difference in the paint colors - the flatness of the new spray has 'improved' considerably with all the Arizona pinstripes the truck has acquired since 2015 :hillbilly:

JMS_6105 small.jpeg

and if you are wondering about the red box up front: that was the major baton used on the first ever cross country 40 'expedition': FJ40 Cross-Country Expedition: Will YOU join us??? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj40-cross-country-expedition-will-you-join-us.944165/

Last edited:
when the rear of my truck was painted, we tried to match the patina front that wasn't touched - the new paint abuts the old at the seam in the door sills driver and passenger front

as far as matching: patina paint is dull, so you need a lot of flattener in the new paint - even the original paint code will produce a color for baby blue that's more yellowish than patina baby blue

between flatness and tone of the blue, we went back 4 times to the paint mixer - and while you won't see it, I can still see a difference in the paint colors - the flatness of the new spray has 'improved' considerably with all the Arizona pinstripes the truck has acquired since 2015 :hillbilly:

View attachment 3230650

and if you are wondering about the red box up front: that was the major baton used on the first ever cross country 40 'expedition': FJ40 Cross-Country Expedition: Will YOU join us??? - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fj40-cross-country-expedition-will-you-join-us.944165/
That’s good paint matching. You really can’t tell on pictures.

try on the next pics . . .

try on the next pics . . .
Oh yeah, I guess you can vaguely see it’s slightly lighter in the right lighting, but it looks good

I had the best cruiser guru ever working on it :grinpimp:

is there an issue with having just primer on it without paint? I almost want to just leave patch panels with just primer instead of spending a whole lot of money on paint. I want to use my rig for a long time too, and I feel like I would be too careful if I spent a whole bunch of money on paint matched paint

honestly, the paint didn't cost all that much - find yourself a really old-style auto painter and have him/her consult with their favorite supplier/mixer

in our case, it was a hole-in-the-wall auto paint store attached to a body and restoration shop for vintage vehicles - and we brought the master can back after the first try, told him what we wanted, picked it up again, sprayed a little more, went back again . . . rinse-repeat, and so forth

until the guy said: "hey, look, that's as much as I can do for you" (so, in reality: the polite equivalent of "I don't ever want to see you again :lol:")

Good to know. I’ve heard stories of people spending thousands on paint. I might reconsider adding paint to the patch panels I’ll eventually add

Charlotte is really good for a big variety of car related stuff including body shops, normal welders, big time paint guys, mom and pop paint guys, you name it, Charlotte has it. Major plus

that was my gist - you are in large enough of a city to find those old-school places

speaking of school . . . it's past your time tonight :flipoff2:

that was my gist - you are in large enough of a city to find those old-school places

speaking of school . . . it's past your time tonight :flipoff2:
First class tomorrow is at 2:30 lol. Schedule is all over the place this semester

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom