1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

what do you think the successor of the canon mark2 1ds will be?

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by erics_bruisers, Aug 23, 2006.

1. erics_bruisers

erics_bruisers

it's almost two years since they released it, and i am wondering if they'll come out with a successor ths fall --

-- ideas?

eric

[​IMG]

2. Trevor

Trevor

Albums:
    If it's as popular as your thread, then probably not. :flipoff2:

3. HR-OLIFANT

HR-OLIFANT

was that response in RAW format?

4. nat

nat

Media:
    I thought there was already some info on the new model? I have not looked into it as I can not afford it and my 5D is awesome!

5. re_guderian

re_guderian SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    a Nikon?

;) I kid. I just bought a whole crapload of Canon gear, but the new Nikons seem to be upping the ante, even near the professional level...

6. photogod

photogod

That's pretty funny. Nikon sells more cameras to "professional photographers" than all other manufactures combined and they make their own glass, the only camera manufacturer to do so. Nikon is heads above Canon, always has been.

Flame on. ;p

7. re_guderian

re_guderian SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    You won't get any flames from me. I could probably name a dozen camera companies who all make equipment that is head and shoulders above my skills and capabilities... Just noticed though that the new Nikon D3 and D300 have some really cool features, though none that match up exactly with Canon's price points. Seems to be pay more=get more...

8. NaterGator

NaterGator On Gilligan's Island

Albums:
  9. photogod

photogod

Don't get me wrong, I wasn't slamming your comment... maybe just a little... but it seems like Canon lovers are all a flutter every time Canon comes out with more megapixels. It's not all about the MP's, it's about the quality of the chip and the processor and then the glass and then the shooter. Canon does make great cameras but in my testing and very critical examination of the results against equally equiped Nikon... Nikon has better quality. Especially the processors. Six of one half a dozen of another to almost all people. I guess, really, it boils down to personal choice. Like PC vs Mac.... Even though Mac's are better. ;) All that matters is that you have a blast presin' the shutter and being creative! That's the payoff.

10. cary

cary

I like the old quote from the 90's:

Nikon makes the best lenses,
    Minolta makes the best bodies,
    Canon makes the best compromise.

I have always been a Nikon fan, but it seems to me Nikon has fallen behind in their glass compared to the Canon L stuff, and that Canon has a bit of a lead in bodies. I personally have Canon stuff, but it was a real hard decision between the two (I was jumping from old Pentax SLR stuff). If I had to make the decision today, it would still be hard to decide. I will say, I think that Nikon's user interface is way better than Canon's for DSLR's.

11. NaterGator

NaterGator On Gilligan's Island

Albums:
    Agreed with cary on nikons ergonomics. If only canon could get nikons ergonomics down; IMHO they have both more and higher quality glass, and their imaging has always been "as good" if not better to my eye.

12. cary

cary

What do you mean. Everyone knows that megapixels are everything. You dummies and your big lenses and bodies shooting at 6 megapixels, my 12 megapixel P&S will take way better pictures. :flipoff2::flipoff2::flipoff2:

Seriously, you are right, the race for megapixels is just stupid. Even Canon users are complaining, take a look at the G9 that just came out. Nearly everyone is asking, why the increase from 10 to 12 megapixels, how about improving low light performance, going back to the nice F2.0-3.0 lens, etc.

Personally, I have little use for anything more than 4-6megapixels. I never blow up more than 11x14. I would much rather have good ISO 3200, 6400, or even 12,800 and a couple of more stops of exposure after I hit 6 megapixels. Same thing with the point and shoot, they keep increasing the Megapixel count even though the low light performance stinks and shutter lag is still there.

13. re_guderian

re_guderian SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    You guys are way more experienced at this than I am, but I would say it's all about first, the shooter and second-nature knowledge of the camera capabilities, then the lens, then the chip/sensor, then the processor, then the MP (above some threshold) if you care about image quality and % of good shots.

Ergonomics/menu/interface? bleh, once you learn something you get comfortable and proficient with it. That's mainly why I stuck with Canon. I knew the "Canon Way". Plus my BIL had Nikon stuff and I wanted something to compare to it.

A lot of your guys input helped me decide on Rebel XTi+grip, EF-S 10-22 3.5-4.5, EF-S 17-55 IS 2.8, and EF 70-300 IS 4.5-5.6 for lenses, and a 580 EXII flash.

And oh yeah, the mkIII seems to have been on Canon's web site for a week or so... Like I could afford that :crybaby:.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">