What do you think the easiest engine swap is for your average idiot? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Is it the ls1/5.3 vortec? 1hdt? Something else?

I'm leaning towards the ls1 with a standalone harness. It just seems like fewer wiring nightmares wjth a 3 wire hookup to mr Ts chassis wiring. Am I thinking about this wrong? Of course with a cable driven throttle and not drive by wire. I'd like the cruise to work.

From my research LS swap.
5.3 being the most common.

People reading this post :p🤪😜

Probably LS, coz it's a well trodden path.

1HD-T is theoretically bolt in, but there's a lot to change, swap, alter to make it work, and in North America, it's gonna be expensive to source all the bits
The wiring seems like a disaster

Ok honest answer as far as dead nuts simple goes. Any diesel with a mechanical pump bolted to a 4l80e with a manuel valve body was be really really easy
There's a few things that need solutions.

Things that are different from an OBD fuel injected gasser vs mechanical diesel . . .

Speedo - hdj/hzj80 use mechanical speedo

Fuel system changes. EFI fuel pump is no good for mechanical diesel (too much pressure) Fuel supply and return line sizes will be different. Diesel needs high flow rates, as diesel cools the injector pumps.

Vacuum system for brake booster. Hdj/hzj80 have a vacuum pump on the engine, then a vacuum reservior for brakes.

I believe the tacho in the gauge cluster is different between fzj and hdj

HZ/HD-T have glow plug relays and timers, and starter relay systems that need to be rewired / provided for.

HZ/HD-T alternator is on the opposite side of the block, so charge system cabling needs to be altered.
So, basically, engine bay harnesses are completely different.

All do-able, just things that may not be obvious immediately.

Things that are different from an OBD fuel injected gasser vs mechanical diesel . . .

Fuel system changes. EFI fuel pump is no good for mechanical diesel (too much pressure) Fuel supply and return line sizes will be different. Diesel needs high flow rates, as diesel cools the injector pumps.

Vacuum system for brake booster. Hdj/hzj80 have a vacuum pump on the engine, then a vacuum reservior for brakes.

HZ/HD-T have glow plug relays and timers, and starter relay systems that need to be rewired / provided for.

HZ/HD-T alternator is on the opposite side of the block, so charge system cabling needs to be altered.

All that just to be slow, noisy and stinky.

It would have the way cool factor!

Choose the right turbo and tuner and it'll leave your typical 1fzfe owner slack jawed in your dust.

A tuned hdj80 ain't no slouch
Neither is a turbo 1fzfe, but I'm not sure I want to install a haltech on my obd1 car either. Maybe it's not so bad. An extra 75hp would really wake the engine up, especially at altitude

As far as Mercedes’ diesels go, a lot of that stuff is figured out by dieselpump uk. The rest is just annoying stuff that takes time

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom